[Guide] Surface Pro 1st gen El Capitan clean installation

JahStories

220 posts in this topic

Don't use disk utility in 10.11 to do the partitioning. I did, and ended up with a disk1 which contained my OS X partition.

Needless to say, Clover couldn't figure out to install to disk0s1 rather than somewhere on disk1. I ended up with an APPLE directory in disk0s1.

Heya! I am back in! 

... and if you have the problem above, dont worry, just copy the folders (boot, clover etc...) from your USB-drive to the System-EFI, it will work!  

Thank you JahStories for the guide. Just for fun: singlebooting on a 2nd surface, the "old"-one runs the win10 stuff, now i love them both. ;)

The resulting DSDT (see the attachment) differs from the JahStories' DSDT from the first post in following:

• no IRQ changes
  • no device or variable renamed
  • no unnecessary _DSM method added (there was probably the issue that caused Avastar not to be detected)
  • no smbus device added
  • no ADFU device added (what is it?)
  • used different (simpler?) battery patch

I hope the new DSDT will be a bit easier to maintain since there is nothing that does not have to be there. :)

Hi myr1. Your DSDT brings really the BT back (tested with a sculpt-mouse).

First thing that is missing for me is the battery-display. it tells me "no battery attached". 

How did you edit your dsdt?

@caleidosCope

Do you have AcpiBatteryManager.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 or Other? Is it loaded? (is org.rehabman.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager in kextstat's output?)

If yes, there could still be a problem with multiple batteries. There are two battery devices (BAT0: the internal and BAT1: probably prepared for the "Surface Power Cover" accessory). Deleting or disabling BAT1 may help. (Let me know if you want a patched DSDT without it.)

Re: How did you edit your dsdt?

Take a look at the history of commits that changed dsdt.asl file at the github repository:

https://github.com/myr1/SurfacePro1-DSDT/commits/master/dsdt.dsl

After selecting a specific commit you should see what changed (added/removed lines) along with a short description (commit message).

@myr1

Yes, AcpiBatteryManager.kext is there and is loaded. I´d like to have that edited DSDT ;). Thanks.

@anyone

I am literally stuck. No App-Store, no iMessage... I use the good old EDIMAX EW7811un USB-Dongle for wlan. Had to install the drivers via Pacifist. Mostly after boot the wlan is working, sometimes i have to remove and reinsert the dongle to make it work.

I have searched the whole web, no solution. Just a hint: Checking with DPCIManager my status tells me : 802.11n /BSD: en0 /Builtin = NO/blank. 

I think i need the Builtin NOT BLANK - i want a "tick-off" ;). How do i fix this? Can anybody point me in the right direction... please.

@caleidosCope (and others with battery detection issues)

There you are! (see the attached dsdt) :) Please let me know if it works.

About the AppStore/iMessage problems, as @futaris said, you should install RehabMan's NullEthernet.kext. You may also need to generate "your own" valid serial number. You can find more details in the Mavericks thread.

(sorry I can't help you with the wireless dongle issues, I use an Ethernet connection)

dsdt.aml.zip

@caleidosCope

Have you tried reinstalling the previously used AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext (via KextDrop)? The 10.11.2 update contains a new version of that kext that would need re-patching.

Thanks myr1. Thats it. 

BTW your edited DSDT (battery detection issue) works perfect.

Now i have only  Touch-Base-Drivers issues... they work... sometimes. - EDIT: now i don't. A quick sleep and wake does the trick!

• 1 month later...

hello all 

first of all i would like to thank jahstories for his great guide and everyone who contributed in making osx work well on our surface pro

i managed to install el capitan 10.11.2 with no problems on my surface pro and dual boot it with windows 10, everything works like a charm including bluetooth and my wifi usb dongle (Netis w2123)

i then updated to 10.11.3 , but upon first boot and before entering desktop , screen turns black

anyone has encountred such problem , or have solution for it 

waiting for your help much appreciated 

So, sorry for answering so late, btw I've updated my Sp1 to 10.11.3, and yes it did not booted, I had to use another platform id (1660004) but external screen is now not working... I'll post news when I'll find out how to fix!  ^_^

Hi there,

Thanks for your amazing work, so I'm almost there, but since I'm not really familiar with Mac OS I remain a bit troubled by the latest instructions after the installation:

Remove AppleHDA.kext and AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext then use kextdrop to install them. (the HDA it's on the 10.10 files pack)

So, how do I "remove" the kext, and from where do I remove them ? Should I use clover and mount the EFI partition to remove them from there ?

Then, what "10.10 files pack" are you refering to ? Because the main topic only provides link to the 10.11 file pack, and from what I've checked it seems the folder 10.10  (10.11 SP1 FilesPack.zip\10.11 SP1 FilesPack\kexts\10.10) does not contain those kexts..

I'm really sorry if this is obvious, I managed to build the usb pen, install the OS and boot, but after trying some kext install using kextdrop and restarting the computer, I couldn't boot anymore, so I guess I did something wrong somewhere.. 

Thank you in advance.

post-221766-0-58544200-1453986230_thumb.jpg

These kexts should be removed from the S/L/E folder, but if you are running a version newer than 10.11.1 remove only the AppleHDA, there isn't a patched Framebuffer Capri yet for newer versions.

The AppleHDA is now included in the first post. :)

• Like 1

Nice!

Did you figured out why there was that "white halo"?

Yes I did ! About that, it seems that the video driver (if I understand well the Intel HD3000 kext) was not loaded on boot. Hence the white halo and the flickering.

Still, I don't understand why this driver does not always loads on boot. There's 2 behaviors:

1. When booting to clover, if I just select "boot from os x" and press enter, 1 time out of 2 the graphical driver will not load and I'll have the white halo and flickering screen

2. When booting to clover, if I select the Os X drive and then press "space" and then choose "boot from Os X", then the kext will load and there's no graphical issue.

Do you know how to configure clover to boot by default with all the kexts ? 

Edit: I found a way.. I think I just messed up with the AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext, I restored the original one and its now much much better ;)

I just have to find out how to get the nullethernet working in order to get my app store accepting my device and everything will be perfect =)

Edit2: Actuallly, the issue persists now... I really don't understand, sometime I reboot and everything loads fine, sometimes not and I have the white halo... Very very strange