[Guide] Surface Pro 1st gen El Capitan clean installation

JahStories

220 posts in this topic

Surface Pro 1st gen El Capitan clean installation:

k1w285.png

Please don't post parallel guides.

if you want to improve something just write me a PM and i'll be glad to cooperate.

Take your time to update your signature

you can use this as a reference, just change the bolded text with your actual configuration.

Microsoft SurfacePro 1 OS:Windows, Android Cpu:u4000 Gpu:HD4000 Ram:4gb 1333  WiFi:external usb SSD:128gb

Not working:

Sleep, internal bt/wifi (you can use a usb wireless "pen", or the method described in this post)

If you want to know more about running MacOs on the SurfacePro don't forget to check the original multi boot guide, there are a lot of interesting things to read and learn.

Let's start:

To create a bootable drive you can use the same process done for Yosemite: createinstallmedia.

example with a fresh formatted drive named Install and the OS X installer app on the desktop:

sudo /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.11\ Developer\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install/ --applicationpath /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

edits to boot the installer:

Install the latest Clover 

Copy all the files from the new files pack to right paths on the efi partition.

After the installation:

Use Clover configurator or another utility to generate a serial number, you can even use your old one if you have any.

Remove AppleHDA.kext and AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext then use kextdrop to install the patched ones.

post-221766-0-58544200-1453986230_thumb.jpg

Use KextDrop to install back these patched two kexts. 

(do not place the kext manually!!)

Then I suggest to change the CsrActiveConfig from 67 to 1 and use 3 when/if you want to edit files inside /System, that will give more security, activating all the new System Integrity Protections but not the unsigned kexts one, you can check its status from terminal using: "csrutil status"

:)

Have Fun!

Extra files:

Updated DSDT 

Patched dual screen kext [don't use this dual screen kext if you are on a version newer than 10.11.1] (thanks coasda  ;))

10.11 SP1 FilesPack.zip

AppleHDA.kext.zip

• Like 3

Hi r1c4rd0  :)

I don't know which is your usb dongle's chipset,

with mine, that's an rt2870, "old" usb wifi drivers are working with any csractiveconfig value that disables the kext signature verification.

But they would not work with 0, or on a real mac with SIP fully enabled, for that we should wait for updated and signed drivers.

If someone find any of these new drivers, please share them, thanks!

• Like 1

I get this error on boot after installing the kext files via KextDrop

"Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\" .\n"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3247.1.106/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1665

I assume I am doing something wrong but any tips on what it might be? I've tried every combination of boot with safemode, with & without cache and injection.

Also when I booted the USB for a fresh install, Clover shows up fine but when it gets to the OSX install menu everything is all static-like, like an old TV. 

Surface Pro 1 single boot fresh install

• 2 weeks later...

The bluetooth driver is not working for me, maybe because it needed to be enabled on windows, btw i've written to jape, its coder, he is probably going to release a new version...

About your issue you could write in clover's thread, I never encountered such problem, and i'm no more running a dual boot, just OsX.

Btw

Did if you removed the original bootmgfw.efi? if yes maybe, that's why you can't boot windows, you could try renaming it to... ex. bootmgfwbak.efi, then probably clover will see it...

P.s.

About the dsdt and ssdt, I strongly suggest to use the one provided cause those have been optimized a lot during time, since the first maverick file pack.

Have fun

The bluetooth driver is not working for me, maybe because it needed to be enabled on windows, btw i've written to jape, its coder, he is probably going to release a new version...

About your issue you could write in clover's thread, I never encountered such problem, and i'm no more running a dual boot, just OsX.

Btw

Did if you removed the original bootmgfw.efi? if yes maybe, that's why you can't boot windows, you could try renaming it to... ex. bootmgfwbak.efi, then probably clover will see it...

P.s.

About the dsdt and ssdt, I strongly suggest to use the one provided cause those have been optimized a lot during time, since the first maverick file pack.

Have fun

I think bluetooth kext is working fine because i use it on my surface.i believe the problem is that apple change the usb drivers.Also i dont use genericusbxhci kext..

I fix my problem with a custom entry in clover thanks anyway!

My glitch is sometimes from cold boot i dont have sound but after a restart its ok!

Ps. Respect to all your work! :)

• Like 1

not yet, and no external screen too...

external screen is working. I've edited AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext and ig-platform in DSDT

I have a working bluetooth and airplay but i dont use the dsdt and config you have in filespack.

My problem is i lost the windows partition in clover boot screen.i use clover.efi as bootmgfw.efi

Windows 10 and el capital same disk...

How did you get bluetooth working?

Can you share your Clover folder? 

Hi coasda, can you please share the patch you used for the frame buffer, so even others can use it?

Sharing is caring  :yes:

About bluetooth here is the latest kext from jape, but it may or may not work, if you are dual booting with windows probably it will.

AvastarFwLoader.kext.zip

Thanks ^_^

here it's the edited dsdt, the patched kext is working, but not as well as the one on Yosemite, at least for me, I've a lot of flickering.

It would be nice if you share how you patched the file, I had tried the old perl patch for 10.10, but it wasn't working...

P.s.

I've added links to the guide.

dsdt.aml.zip

A good explanation is here http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2945-guide-for-enabling-vga-and-hdmi-in-intel-hd4000-gpu/

default connector for Surface 1 (but you have only one port and no DP)
AAPL,ig-platform-id: 01660004, Stolen RAM for FB: 32MB, Pipes: 3, Ports: 1, FBMem: 1
@0, 05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 02 00 00 // (LVDS)

I've made changes in DSTD.aml and then edited ...Capri.kext (search in ....Capri.kext for this line 09 00 66 01)

AAPL,ig-platform-id: 01660009, Stolen RAM for FB: 64MB, Pipes: 3, Ports: 3, FBMem: 3
@0, 01 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 00 00 00 // (LVDS)  this line will not work for Surface pro 1!
@1, 02 05 00 00 00 04 00 00 07 01 00 00 // (DisplayPort)
@2, 03 04 00 00 00 04 00 00 07 01 00 00 // (DisplayPort)

and then replaced 
 01 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 00 00 00 // (LVDS)
with this 
05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 02 00 00 //moved from 01660004

Finally:

ig-platform-id: 01660009

05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 02 00 00 //moved from 01660004
@1, 02 05 00 00 00 04 00 00 07 01 00 00 // (DisplayPort)
@2, 03 04 00 00 00 04 00 00 07 01 00 00 // (DisplayPort)

​don't forget to clear kernel kext cache after modifications

Edited by JahStories
removed links to unsupported forum
  • Like 1

Don't use disk utility in 10.11 to do the partitioning. I did, and ended up with a disk1 which contained my OS X partition.

Needless to say, Clover couldn't figure out to install to disk0s1 rather than somewhere on disk1. I ended up with an APPLE directory in disk0s1.

Hi r1c4rd0,

In the guide you shared it's suggested to completely disable Sip, but that's not necessary, as I said before to load unsigned kext the only thing that need to be disabled it's the signature verification.

Thanks for sharing btw.

:)

• Like 1

Hi

Today I decided to format my El Capitan partition, created a pen with EFI and installation, with all JahStories clover files (config, kexts and ACPI) with the last clover, but now, can't pass the beginning screen of the installation my cursor I always with the processing (rotating rainbow) symbol and nothing more :(

any help?

I used clover r3292 on my USB drive after I created it with the BaseSystem.dmg restore method.

I still seem to have problems installing Clover r3292 on to the SSD, from OS X 10.11.0 or 10.11.1. It writes the files into /EFI rather than disk0s1 EFI partition.

When I reboot I still have Clover r3259 in my disk0s1 partition which I installed from 10.10.5.

I haven't tried Clover r3316 yet.

HoRNDIS does NOT yet work on Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)!

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-create-el-capitan-os-x-bootable-dvd.1923894/page-2#post-22064565

#!/bin/bash

# Mount the installer image
hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

# Create a ElCapitan blank ISO image of 9900mb with a Single Partition - Apple Partition Map
hdiutil create -o /tmp/ElCapitan.cdr -size 9900m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J

# Mount the ElCapitan blank ISO image
hdiutil attach /tmp/ElCapitan.cdr.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

# Restore the Base System into the ElCapitan blank ISO image
asr restore -source /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_build -noprompt -noverify -erase

# Remove Package link and replace with actual files
rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/

# Copy El Capitan installer dependencies
cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.chunklist
cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.dmg

# Unmount the installer image
hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

# Unmount the ElCapitan ISO Image
hdiutil detach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/

# Create a sparseimage and auto-size it
hdiutil convert /tmp/ElCapitan.cdr.dmg -format UDSP -o /tmp/ElCapitan
hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage

# Convert the ElCapitan sparseimage to ISO/CD master
hdiutil convert /tmp/ElCapitan.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/ElCapitan

Keep ElCapitan.cdr.dmg and restore that to your USB drive.

Installed yesterday on my SP2.

What doesn't work on my installation:

-Graphics, I don't know how to enable my HD4400

-Wifi: I use a D-Link dongle. The drivers was succesfully installed on Yosemite, but I'm having problems to recognize it on El Capitan

-Battery status

-Bluetooth