Dual Boot With Windows Installed First?

Amit_

7 posts in this topic

The title pretty much says it all.

Is it possible to do so?

I currently have Windows installed on my PC on a 4 TB HDD and it has a lot of important files and programs.

Is it possible for me to make a 2 TB partition and install OS X to that?

It is possible to do that, but .... If Windows was installed with no thought to later installing Mac OS the drive is likely formatted as MBR not GUID.  The Mac installer will not install to a MBR drive without modifying the installer (there are a number of threads indicating how to modify the installer).  Other that modifying the Mac installer another approach is to install Mac OS to a different HD that is GUID and then cloning that install to a partition on the MBR Windows HD. (Mac will run from MBR drive but will not install).

If you are installing a legacy system then yes, with a patch to the installer. If you are trying to install onto an EFI system then no - OSX needs the EFI partition to be 200mb and the one windows creates by default is about 100mb.

@TheEmoEmu

Thats wrong.

I have installed Windows 10 with full EFI. 100 MB Efi Partition.

Partitioned the HDD with 2 Partition and formatted the 2. Partition with Gparted to HFS+.

Installed El Capitan to the 2. Partition without Problems.

Working with Clover no Probz

I currently have Windows installed on my PC on a 4 TB HDD and it has a lot of important files and programs.

safety first  :blink:

i wouldn't risk it !!!

there are so much - inexpensive - HDDs and SDDs available in these days.

it's your choice.