NVIDIA Web Driver Updater [UPDATE: 07/18/2016]

fantomas

122 posts in this topic

Is it really necessary to use this application considering the latest web drivers are working on iMacs (MacBook and MacPro) ?

it automatically remove the hardware restriction from the package.... of course for the installation!

I meant : Nvidia officially provides these drivers for iMacs so it installs on iMacs hardware, what kind of other hardware restriction does it remove ?

Who say that?

This depend by NVDIA, some build of Web Drivers (not all) limit the installation to only specific hardware:

var system_models = ["MacPro3,1", "MacPro4,1", "MacPro5,1"]; 

not oly iMacs.

the app remove that check...but leave the one for the OS version...

Is it really necessary to use this application considering the latest web drivers are working on iMacs (MacBook and MacPro) ?

hi

please, read well:

application for downloading Retail & Beta!!! Nvidia Web Driver versions

you'll never have a beta web driver from Nvidia Driver Manager... unless the things change now that this application was born.   :P

• Like 1

Who say that?

If you mean "who said it is now working for iMacs and Macbook ?" then Nvidia said so : 

BETA support is for iMac 14,2 / 14,3 (2013), iMac 13,1 / 13,2 (2012) and MacBook Pro 11,3 (2013), MacBook Pro 10,1 (2012), and MacBook Pro 9,1 (2012) users.

Here or there.

not oly iMacs.

the app remove that check...but leave the one for the OS version...

Is there something else than iMacs and MacPro used for Hackintosh ?  :)

The iMac support is pretty new so I though this application was made without knowing about it and I was wondering if it was still useful now.

you'll never have a beta web driver from Nvidia Driver Manager... unless the things change now that this application was born.    :P

Right, thanks for this clarification !

Out of curiosity, how does the application knows about these beta web drivers, do you (by you I mean fantoms1 who created the app) update it manually or does it directly get the information from an Nvidia server ?

You should maybe add the possibility to patch the kext after installation for OS X beta. I think it would be a nice and interesting feature for beta testers out there.

Anyway, thanks for this application, I did not mean to say it was "useless", I was just trying to understand what it was offering.  :)

• Like 1

If you mean "who said it is now working for iMacs and Macbook ?" then Nvidia said so : 

Here or there.

Is there something else than iMacs and MacPro used for Hackintosh ?  :)

The iMac support is pretty new so I though this application was made without knowing about it and I was wondering if it was still useful now.

Sir from Here:

Includes BETA support for iMac and MacBook Pro systems with NVIDIA graphics

supported hardware is

GeForce 600 Series:

GeForce GTX 680

GeForce 200 Series:

GeForce GTX 285

GeForce 100 Series:

GeForce GT 120

GeForce 8 Series:

GeForce 8800 GT

Quadro Series:

Quadro K5000 for Mac, Quadro 4000 for Mac

Quadro FX Series:

Quadro FX 4800, Quadro FX 5600

so you mean that NVIDIA strictly support the real Mac described and only the supported graphics card?

I guess this is nothing new. You need to buy a Mac then! :whistle:

Anyway that package has no hardware restriction, only software (require your OS build begin with '15A')

EDIT

how the app works is our secret :P, but let see when new updates comes out

@lgda

please, when you quote a message, quote the right part   ^_^

Micky1979 didn't say the latest driver will NOT support iMac, MacBook... more, it says BETA support for these platforms, which means that it's something pretty new, since 10.10.4 to be more exact.

Previous versions only support Mac Pro 5.1 (2010), Mac Pro 4.1 (2009) et Mac Pro 3.1 (2008). 

So it's why Micky1979 said:

This depend by NVDIA, some build of Web Drivers (not all) limit the installation to only specific hardware:

You should maybe add the possibility to patch the kext after installation for OS X beta. I think it would be a nice and interesting feature for beta testers out there.

even if we do that, there's no guarantee that it will work... I mean the patched kext

fantomas, I was joking. :P

but the fact is  that the an Hackintosh surely does not respect the NVIDIA specs...no?

The app respect the OS version build installed... to download the latest right pkg..

even if we do that, there's no guarantee that it will work... I mean the patched kext

kexts can be patched, only implement that with some criteria (actual graphics card installed?)

• Like 1

Sure:

msg-674334-0-99078500-1444421048.png

user decide to install, that's all!

if need to patch their installed kexts after the install he know what to do as always. Or can request something new in this Topic for a new functionality. 

Edited by fantomas1
  • Like 1

Per question 25 in this thread, the latest NVIDIA drivers no longer have a system check that matches the MacPro3,1 - MacPro5,1 or a non-EFI NVIDIA GPU (which covered most Hackintoshes already).  You'll still need to remove the hardware check from older drivers, but yeah, NVIDIA has officially flipped the switch and lets their driver be installed on any system, including laptops and iMacs.

• Like 1

Per question 25 in this thread, the latest NVIDIA drivers no longer have a system check that matches the MacPro3,1 - MacPro5,1 or a non-EFI NVIDIA GPU (which covered most Hackintoshes already).  You'll still need to remove the hardware check from older drivers, but yeah, NVIDIA has officially flipped the switch and lets their driver be installed on any system, including laptops and iMacs.

On final release NVIDIA do that, but for future betas who can say?

false

Capture d’écran 2015-10-10 à 16.24.57.png

system check is still present

but maybe no more in the near futur

On final release NVIDIA do that, but for future betas who can say?

Given that they've publicly acknowledged the fact they're supporting laptops and iMacs (via the driver download page and their blog post), I have little doubt that they'll continue to do this.  It's very clear that NVIDIA is invested in their web driver as a way of enabling newer GPUs and providing better support for existing official products as well.

false

attachicon.gifCapture d’écran 2015-10-10 à 16.24.57.png

system check is still present

but maybe no more in the near futur

That's an OS version mismatch, not a hardware check failure.  What OS version are you on?  Non-beta releases are locked to one specific OS version as before, it's just that the driver installer package will now work on any NVIDIA system, not just the Classic MacPro.

• Like 2