Black screen on boot (only sometimes)

19 posts in this topic

I am having a strange issue which I didn't have in Yosemite. When I boot my machine, sometimes my monitor won't turn on, it's like there's no signal from the DisplayPort. If I press the restart button, it works fine. I've encountered this most on cold starts (i.e., not when rebooting). Also, it doesn't happen every time I turn on the computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

after the restart a crash report should be issued. What information can you read from the report?

Edit:

otherwise upload the reports and write on when the error occurred, with an approximate time.... perhaps someone can evaluate the report.

Thanks for your reply. There is no crash report issued (I'm not prompted when I log in). Is there anywhere I can read about what goes wrong during startup (can I find it using Console?)? It's difficult otherwise, because it only happens some times, and the screen doesn't turn on, so verbose mode is useless...

go to  root /var/ then open a new tab with the right mouse-click, then go to folder /var/log/ and open the system.log with the console.app or with Smultron.app. Maybe you'll find there an indication of the problem.

I've looked in system.log, but I'm not sure what to look for :( The log is quite long.

I'm really not sure what to do about this. It's quite annoying. Only thing I know is that it started when I upgraded to El Capitan. If only the screen turned on I could use the -v boot flag, so I could see what's going on, but it doesn't.... 

I am having a strange issue which I didn't have in Yosemite. When I boot my machine, sometimes my monitor won't turn on, it's like there's no signal from the DisplayPort. If I press the restart button, it works fine. I've encountered this most on cold starts (i.e., not when rebooting). Also, it doesn't happen every time I turn on the computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

+1 (sometimes on cold starts)

the culprit is not your System.

i don't know much about Clover - maybe there's a possibility to debug.

ElCap is unusable for me atm, so i switched back to Yosemite  :rolleyes:

good luck.

Hmm. Not nice. I was hoping I had made an obvious mistake somewhere which was causing this... Hopefully this will be resolved at some point.

If anyone else has the same problem and finds a solution, please post it here.

EDIT: Just updated my BIOS to F5. We'll see if the problem persists.

I think I located the problem. Actually it might be related to what Anachronaut is talking about in his thread about Clover boot entries.

I used to have a couple of data disks attached beside the SSD which I'm running my system off of. One of these disks previously had Clover on them (might actually stil have, but I thought I emptied the EFI partition).

I haven't had any problems since I pulled all disks except my system disk...

I had the same problem:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308788-black-login-screen/

As I figured out, the computer does boot into the system. But the graphics is not working when entering the "log in"-screen, but I could connect to it with screen sharing.

The solution for my was to turn on "automatic login" in OS X, that way I booted straight into the system.

Today I had the same problem, so I haven't figured out the problem it turns out...

Thanks for your comment, Ritte. I'll try that out. By the way, how did you figure out that the computer boots into OS X? If true, this might be a bug that could be solved in a future update, no?

Today I had the same problem, so I haven't figured out the problem it turns out...

Thanks for your comment, Ritte. I'll try that out. By the way, how did you figure out that the computer boots into OS X? If true, this might be a bug that could be solved in a future update, no?

I noticed that afp and screens sharing was available from my other computer, so I tried screen sharing and logged in. Once logged the display turns on. When booting in safe mode,I can reach log in screen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am still seeing this randomly on 10.11.2.  Setting auto login doesn't fix it for me. But so far if I just leave it alone for 5 to 10 minutes the login screen (or desktop if auto login is on) will appear.  One thing I have noticed is that it seems to hang on the second stage boot logo as it never appears and after waiting the 5 to 10 mins the second stage progress bar shows for a couple of seconds and then I see the login screen.