How to get Nec Renesas uPD720200 USB3.0 to work?

fearandleb

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

anyone know how to get Nec Renesas uPD720200 USB3.0 to work with 10.11? In Yosemite it worked like a charm with the Clover Patches. 

Vendor-id 1033

Device-id 0194

Subvend-id 15D9

Subdev-id 062C

The Device lives on Pex5 and Pex6, but I don´t know how to get it to run.

I already had to rename USBE and EUSB to EHC1 and EHC2 in my DSDT to get USB2.0 it to work.

It is a Supermicro X9Dai Board.

As attachment my current DSDT and IOReg 

Regards,

Archive.zip

Hi,

on my motherboard GA-H67N-USB3-B3 i have Nec Renesas uPD720200 USB3.0 controller too, and with GenericUSBXHCI.kext it was working up to OSX 10.10.5.

Now on El Capitan, due to something that it was changed in USb3 management, it doesn't work anymore.

I'm looking for a workaround ( I use Chamaleon but if i find a solution then it could be true also for Clover)

See Ya

Hello,

same controller, same issue...

All usb3 ports are detected as usb2 and are handled by AppleUSBEHCIPCI.

I own a Transcend StoreJet hdd. When I plug it to usb2, it works as expected, the led light orange. But when I plug it on usb3 ports, the led light blue as it usualy does in USB3 mode and the hdd never appears in device list.

Any chance to get this working soon ?

Does it implies a complete rewrite of GenericUSBXHCI ? Or what would the work to do to make it run again ?

Hi,

anyone know how to get Nec Renesas uPD720200 USB3.0 to work with 10.11? In Yosemite it worked like a charm with the Clover Patches. 

Vendor-id 1033

Device-id 0194

Subvend-id 15D9

Subdev-id 062C

The Device lives on Pex5 and Pex6, but I don´t know how to get it to run.

I already had to rename USBE and EUSB to EHC1 and EHC2 in my DSDT to get USB2.0 it to work.

It is a Supermicro X9Dai Board.

As attachment my current DSDT and IOReg 

Regards,

Could you please let me know how to use clover patches to make Nec Renesas uPD720200 USB3.0 work in Yosemite? Thanks. 

Till this moment, there is no solution for non-Intel USB 3.0 on 10.11

Chances are there won't be a fix any time soon due to the lack of documentation of the new USB driver architecture.

I personally downgraded back to Yosemite.

IMHO i think the way to get Nec Renesas uPD720200 USB 3.0 controller working is :

1) DSDT injection ( ECH1 , ECH2, XHC1 rename) -> just done

2) AppleUSBXHCIPCI / AppleUSBXHCI   binary patching

Looking for ...

We have to fix two iusses ( Disable Intel & Fresco Logic USB3.0 controllers check and Disable XHCI 1.0 check )

look here for patched AppleUSBXHCI for 10.10.x and 10.9.x (Thanks Zenith432 and Shiecldk)

See Ya

• Like 1

@fearandleb

It works perfectly. Thank you very much.

Something isn't too clear here. Your original question was about how to make Renesas uPD720200 work under Yosemite. Yet this thread is about post installation issues with 10.11. My question is whether you have successfully enabled USB3 on the uPD720200 controller on 10.11 based on superkwn's ID injection method above based on his clover screenshot. Did it work without the need of a patched AppleUSBXHCI kext? ID injection alone did the trick?

• 5 months later...

Something isn't too clear here. Your original question was about how to make Renesas uPD720200 work under Yosemite. Yet this thread is about post installation issues with 10.11. My question is whether you have successfully enabled USB3 on the uPD720200 controller on 10.11 based on superkwn's ID injection method above based on his clover screenshot. Did it work without the need of a patched AppleUSBXHCI kext? ID injection alone did the trick?

In case you didn't get an answer to this at any other point (or someone else shows up here looking around) - El Capitan appears to have significantly changed things such that fixes in Yosemite w/r/t USB3.0 (some in general, non-Intel in particular) don't necessarily work in El Capitan. The only way I found to get that particular controller working in El Capitan was using RehabMan's updated GenericUSBXHCI.kext (see here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Generic-USB3 and for working download:  https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads/RehabMan-Generic-USB3-2015-1215.zip). Devices so supported won't show up in System Information.app's USB section, but they'll still work.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

See attached Screenshot of the Clover Section. (only the entries containing Appleusbxhci)

Regards

Argh, I so want a solution like this again. This worked like a charm for me under Yosemite. I didn’t upgrade to El Capitan till just last week and I'm almost sorry I did now. First I have to run with SIP disabled all the time and there are all these little problem like USB 3 cards not working!

FYI, GenericUSBXHCI didn’t work for me. Was too unreliable. I used this method and I now have working USB 3 but not sure I get full speed.

I used this method to get it working: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309225-usb-30-on-asus-p8z68-vgen3-asmedia-controller/?p=2185652

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all, I have a question regarding this same issue with this same USB 3.0 card, however I'm trying to get this to work on a REAL mac.

I have a Mac Mini 2020 and am using the card in a OWC Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 enclosure. Other cards like SATA cards work just fine, but this particular USB 3.0 card is just not happy.

I have installed the driver above but it has had no effect. I can see it in the "/Library/Extensions" folder but was thinking maybe it should also be in the "System/Library/Extensions" but I can't get access to it.

How does one get this to work on an actual mac? I am currently running MacOS Catalina 10.5

Would greatly appreciate any input anyone could share.

Thankyou

Edited by high.land

• 4 months later...