[HOW TO] Fix second stage boot logo and loading bar for some dedicated desktop video cards

arsradu

391 posts in this topic

Works here @arsradu, thanks. So fast loading because i'm using SSD. Only see loading bar in the center and no apple logo

Glad it worked.

Would you mind sharing your hardware? Your signature is empty. I just want to make a list of devices tested/confirmed as working with this tutorial.

On my X79 there's no flash between stages. It's seamless and I'm using a regular hard disk. However I'm using SSDT injection rather than Clover injection and booting in UEFI mode.

From other people's experiences, SSDT or Clover patching doesn't make any difference. If there's a gap, it will continue to be, no matter which method you use.

Can you try this method as well, just to see if it makes any difference for you?

I did try it a couple of days ago as I've been trying to replace my SSDT/DSDT fixes on both Asus boards with just a config.plist.

However this card gave me problems with Clover injection (20-30 second delay at the end of first stage followed by second-stage progress bar in bottom left of screen) and it was the same with your hex device injection. Maybe I did something wrong, so I'll try again.

I did try it a couple of days ago as I've been trying to replace my SSDT/DSDT fixes on both Asus boards with just a config.plist.

However this card gave me problems with Clover injection (20-30 second delay at the end of first stage followed by second-stage progress bar in bottom left of screen) and it was the same with your hex device injection. Maybe I did something wrong, so I'll try again.

We're talking about the GTX 670 EX OC in your signature, right?

If you want...I can try and take a look. I prefer having all my patches in one place (in my case that's the config). But we do have different motherboards and different video cards. So...I don't know if that can be done for your gear. However, I am willing to help, if you want. :)

I don't know about the delay, but the loading bar on the bottom of the screen is pretty much what this thread is aiming to fix. So..I don't know. I can take a look and see if there's anything out of place or missing in your approach.

Up to you. :)

Loading bar and logo only appear in verbos (-v) mode.

I'm using ASUS GTX 960 4GB. How i can set value in VRAM size

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<string>0x80000000</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>ASUSGeForce GTX 960</string>
<key>rom-revision</key>
<string>84.06.26.00.08</string>

I'm have 4GB RAM.

Sorry, I'm super busy now. I'll update a table later.

You can try 0x100000000. See if that's ok.

Works here @arsradu, thanks. So fast loading because i'm using SSD. Only see loading bar in the center and no apple logo

For the Apple logo on second stage boot, please, follow Step 5 and add Patch Vibios and Inject EDID.
  • Like 1

@arsradu  did you dump your imac device-properties? i hope "@1,AAPL,boot-display" key is (still) there..

@Riley Freeman sadly i always got a flash screen since day 0, 10.10 - 10.11, both with igpu/discrete : ((

You mean after changing it? If I tried reading the hex of the "modded" device-properties, from the booted system?

If that's what you mean, then yes, I did. And I'm pretty sure (90% sure) I saw it there yesterday when playing with that script and stuff. I will confirm this in about an hour. :)

As for the gap between the two stages, even on (some) macs, the gap is still there. Take a look at my previous post about that.

Update: yep, @1,AAPL,boot-display is there.

So it turns out I was doing it wrong the last time. I was adding the device properties but not the Inject property to actually inject them...

It's working fine now and still seamless. As I'm UEFI booting (CSM disabled) I was also able to disable the InjectEDID and PatchVBIOS patches. It works the same with or without them.

This is with a 210. The 670 is on my Z68. I don't even get a second stage boot there so I'll turn my attention to that sometime later. I can't UEFI boot that one as my Z68 doesn't support it.

So it turns out I was doing it wrong the last time. I was adding the device properties but not the Inject property to actually inject them...

It's working fine now and still seamless. As I'm UEFI booting (CSM disabled) I was also able to disable the InjectEDID and PatchVBIOS patches. It works the same with or without them.

This is with a 210. The 670 is on my Z68. I don't even get a second stage boot there so I'll turn my attention to that sometime later. I can't UEFI boot that one as my Z68 doesn't support it.

This is awesome news! The completely missing seconds stage on the 670 is most likely something else.

And yes, if you have a UEFI VBios and disable CSM in bios, you pretty much don't need this thread.

I'll add the new succeses from the latest cards to the first post.

Thank you for your feedback.

a hint about the flash before

second boot stage.

after this flash happens appears the mouse pointer is not?

On Mac/Hack/both?

On Hack, I'm pretty sure there is no cursor displayed until reaching the Desktop/login screen. Might be wrong though.

I take it that modesty is not your strong suit. :P However, I am a guy who considers that credit should be given where credit is due. And, with this, I also want to thank you for your help and insight in this. It's definitely helping. Also, just so you know, skipping you from the credits list was nowhere near my intentions. :) I was just not aware of the origin of the idea/research.

So, again, thank you. And I just added you to the list of people that contributed with very good ideas/research on getting this issue fixed.

Hope it's ok now.

It has nothing to do with modesty, but lack of respect for my hard work. I have 133 posts down to go with lack of credit. That is the problem in this forum...

On Mac/Hack/both?

only hack, in my Mac Mini it's ok.

On Hack, I'm pretty sure there is no cursor displayed until reaching the Desktop/login screen. Might be wrong though.

In all hacks (Desktop) You will see this flash and look at
to the upper left corner
Your cursor will be there
even before the login screen.
  • Like 1

It has nothing to do with modesty, but lack of respect for my hard work. I have 133 posts down to go with lack of credit. That is the problem in this forum...

yes Pike, this thread no more than just extend previous thread dedicated to discrete gpu as arsradu successful story & now trying to help other people..

check 1st post and your name is now there, so thanks again for your lot of contributions.. for me especially, lets keep this thread alive

I understand. And I see your point. I hope now things are ok. Again, I did not know whom should I be thankful to. I just mentioned the people I was aware of. I didn't mean to be disrespectful towards anyone's work or help. After all, no one is doing this for a living. We all have a life and we all have other (maybe better) things to do. But it's our passion. And it's our time. I do understand that. And we contribute to this community with what we can. Also, a "thank you" is the least one can say/do to show their appreciation for someone else's work.

So, again, a big thank you form my side. And I hope you will continue to share your insight over here. Since it is truly appreciated.

Cheers. :)

only hack, in my Mac Mini it's ok.

In all hacks (Desktop) You will see this flash and look at
to the upper left corner
Your cursor will be there
even before the login screen.

Not on mine, it isn't. :P

Got your 3D glasses on? :)) Let's take a look here.

But anyway, what was the hint about?

• Like 1