Back into the Hackintosh scene

Chris Mills

7 posts in this topic

A long time ago I made a Hackbook from a Toshiba U200, using an iATKOS build of Leopard, and this site helped me get everything working.  Then I went and bought a real Mac (a 2009 WhiteBook), and another (a 2009 Core 2 Duo 27" iMac), and then another (a 15" rMBP which is my go to portable.)  However I need a new desktop, and I don't want to pay out for a new iMac.  What I really needed was a mini tower Mac.  Such a beast doesn't exist, and the Mac Pro doesn't even come close any more....  So there's only one thing for it.   

Spec as follows.

Be Quiet 800 Black case

750W Modular PSU (Novatech)

Intel i5 4690

GIGABYTE GA-Z97P-D3

EVGA GTX 750 TI SC 2GB

ANTEC H20 KUHLER 650 (my first foray into water cooling)

240GB SATA 3 SSD

2TB 7200 rpm HDD

16GB of Kingston HyperX Fury Black RAM

This isn't for all out speed, but to give a nice quiet system that will put me in good stead for 3-4 years.

Progress report.

After much swearing and having to reflash my BIOS because it would not boot Clover from the USB, success!

Many thanks to rampagedev.com for their excellent site which guided me through creating a Clover Installation USB, then installing OS X, installing Clover, then editing the EFI partition, I have a (mostly) working system.

NIC = working

Graphics card = working (with NVidia Web Drivers)

Sound = not working (not done this yet)

iMessage, iCloud, etc still to do.

Hardware wise, I'm very happy, with the exception of the water cooler.  It has just about the noisiest fan I have ever heard.  It really howls when the processor is worked hard.  I'm looking to mod it with a Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 fan to replace the stock one as I really cannot be doing with that din.  Doing that will be interesting as the pump is integrated into the fan cowling and they share a common power feed.

Update 2...

NIC = working

Graphics card = working (with NVidia Web Drivers)

Sound = working.

iMessage, iCloud, iTunes, FaceTime...  = Working.

Updates planned.

WiFi (not required but a nice to have in case of ISP failure as it allows tethering to my MyFi)

Bluetooth 4 LE (for Continuity and Handover)

Quieter fan for water cooling.

That's about it...  It certainly is easier than back in the day :)

Pics to follow of build...

• 4 months later...