Windows 8.1 Dual Boot Problem

darkgiant

8 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Just few weeks ago, I had swapped both my Motherboard and CPU on my desktop from an AMD F 6300 and ASRock 970 Motherboard to an Intel i5 4590 and Gigabyte GA-z97-d3h for the sake of having full compatibility of OS X.

My issue here is that, I had originally installed Windows 8.1 (in legacy) on an old 1 TB Hard Drive. I just bought a 500GB SSD with the idea of installing Windows OS and all applications on the SSD, and convert the old 1 TB Hard Drive as a storage drive. My OS X Partition is installed on a separate SSD.

So here is my problem, when I boot into Windows 8.1, it shows me the regular Windows loading logo, bu than the screen goes black, no idea why. I was hoping someone here can help me out on this as I really need to access my old Windows partition.

Furthermore, another question I have is whether I should reinstall Windows entirely, or use the Data Migration Tool Samsung provides for the Windows partition. Would love any help on this topic.

Thanks!

You have to reinstall Windows over hdd because you have changed Hw so your installation is no more valid.

Other option is to inject new HW drivers ( in particular cpu and motherboard layer).

In the past i use this hint to recover a windows7 installation in which i have changed MB and i wouldn't reinstall all the OS.

Search on the web .

See Ya

You have to reinstall Windows over hdd because you have changed Hw so your installation is no more valid.

Other option is to inject new HW drivers ( in particular cpu and motherboard layer).

In the past i use this hint to recover a windows7 installation in which i have changed MB and i wouldn't reinstall all the OS.

Search on the web .

See Ya

How is my installation not valid? I am able to boot into Windows just fine when I set the Hard Drive that is installed on as the primary boot device under BIOS.

Disabling the Internal GPU allows me to boot to Windows 8.1 and OS X from Clover, not sure how though... I am assuming reinstalling Windows would be my best bet if I want to keep the Internal GPU on, correct?

Edited by darkgiant

If you can boot in Windows 8.1 disabling internal graphics card, you can try to install the correct drivers from web for Intel HD 4600, re-enable GPU and see if it works.

BTW Last chance is to reinstall windows

I had installed the Intel HD 4600 Drivers, but that didn't do any luck :(

I have went ahead and installed a fresh copy of Windows 8 onto my SSD, so I will have to reinstall all the applicaitons and so on, but have to make sure I can boot up with Windows.

So just an update here:

I went ahead and had installed Windows 8 (I cannot install Windows 8.1 as my license key only works for Windows 8, so I will have to update to Windows 8.1, and to Windows 10, all in that order...).

Anywho, I completed the installation, and started setting up my Windows install. What I completely forgot was that this would delete my Clover bootloader, so I had reinstalled Clover bootloader, but now I am running into an issue where Windows will no longer boot as it says windows.efi is missing/broken.

Was there a proper "How-To" install for installing Windows alongside OS X via Clover?