Replace Chameleon with Clover

marvelloard

11 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I try to replace Chameleon with Clover (mainly because of an easier possibility to setup a dual-boot with Linux (elementaryOS)). However, it's problematic.

Hardware: EP45-DS3L, NVidia GTX 650 Ti, Intel Core2Quad 2,83GHz

Currently Yosemite is working fine on this machine. It boots in seconds (SSD) and is absolutely stable, quick and reliable (as far as Yosemite can considered to be reliable..). So I installed Clover for a test run on a USB drive. Loader shows up BUT:

-Yosemite loads until the login screen, then screen fades to blac (energy saving). Keyboard still responding (caps lock light working, mouse LED responding) so no complete freeze but graphical problem. Boot flags from Chameleon do not solve the problem.

Old Chameleon config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Boot Banner</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1440x900x32</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>kext-dev-mode=1 PCIRootUID=1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>PciRoot</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>Theme</key>
	<string>Choose_Your_OS</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Clover config attached.

-During verbose boot I get lots of those messages (TONS, boot is extremely slow with Clover):

(see attached image)

Process name changes, "deny" is flooding my screen

-Trying to start Linux from it's partition leads to GRUB, which freezes the system. GRUB stays on the screen, can't get past that point.

Can someone help me?

post-1041148-0-28572800-1442778512_thumb.jpg

config.plist.txt

Hi,

Dual boot is also possibile with Chameleon.

I'm booting Windows Xp, Windows7 and Osx Mavericks (legacy on Mbr drive) with out iusses.

Linux boot as well.

However if you wanna try Clover , continue with the USB pen until you reach a stable configuration.

Thank you both. Of course I will stay with USB until it works (destroyed Chameleon once before, never again by doing this..).

All fixes disabled already (except shutdown) or else I got KP. kernelpm=yes is for haswell, isn't it? I'm on Core2Quad.

I'm using Clover Configurator, yes, and I will give nvdia_drv=1 a shot (I think I installed the drivers long time ago).

I know you said it didn't work you but Clover should work fine for you. And as you have Yosemite booting with Chameleon you should just be able to use the Clover installer to create your USB then add your ACPI files used with Chameleon.

For a config.plist, try keeping it simple and only adding basic entries as Clover is clever enough to do what it needs to get you booted. Something like this:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>ACPI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>SSDT</key>
        <dict>
            <key>DropOem</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Generate</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Arguments</key>
        <string>-v kext-dev-mode=1</string>
        <key>Legacy</key>
        <string>PBR</string>
        <key>Timeout</key>
        <integer>5</integer>
    </dict>
    <key>GUI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Language</key>
        <string>de:0</string>
        <key>Mouse</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Enabled</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
        <key>Scan</key>
        <true/>
        <key>ScreenResolution</key>
        <string>1440x900</string>
        <key>Theme</key>
        <string>iclover</string>
    </dict>
    <key>SystemParameters</key>
    <dict>
        <key>InjectKexts</key>
        <string>Detect</string>
    </dict>
</dict>

I added to generate SSDT incase you don't have one. But if you do then you can remove that entry.

And you may need to include nvda_drv=1 if you have web drivers installed as pointed out by jperkins909.

For speed, you could try installing using the BiosBlockIO option in the installer.

Screw it, I'll stick with Chameleon and will install Linux to a 2nd HDD. Just want to ask you what to do so that Linux on a separate HDD will show up in Chameleon? Format with GPT?

By all means though, you can stick with Chameleon as it's great!.

IIRC you need to install GRUB to the Linux partition and then Chameleon will chain load GRUB.

Thank you for your minimal config!
As I am using a USB drive I still can test Clover. Sadly, it just doesn't work. Black screen (monitor going to energy saving), HDD active so no freeze. Also while booting my screen still gets flooded with "Sandbox ... deny..". I almost think this is related.

With Chameleon, I never was able to make my Linux HDD visible. Installed Grub2 to MBR, to sda1 (root partition), tried to install on GPT HDD (Grub takes care because I have only BIOS, not UEFI), nothing. Chameleon will not recognise.

Any ideas?

I know you said it didn't work you but Clover should work fine for you. And as you have Yosemite booting with Chameleon you should just be able to use the Clover installer to create your USB then add your ACPI files used with Chameleon.

For a config.plist, try keeping it simple and only adding basic entries as Clover is clever enough to do what it needs to get you booted. Something like this:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>ACPI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>SSDT</key>
        <dict>
            <key>DropOem</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Generate</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Arguments</key>
        <key>Legacy</key>
        <string>PBR</string>
        <key>Timeout</key>
        <integer>5</integer>
    </dict>
    <key>GUI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Language</key>
        <key>Mouse</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Enabled</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
        <key>Scan</key>
        <true/>
        <key>Theme</key>
        <string>iclover</string>
    </dict>
    <dict>
        <key>InjectKexts</key>
        <string>Detect</string>
    </dict>
</dict>

The config.plist above is not valid.

Note:

Speedy-OSX:Downloads RehabMan$ plutil -lint config.plist
config.plist: Encountered unexpected EOF
It is missing the terminating plist tag (at the end of the file):

</plist>

Oops. Good spot Rehabman. Sorry about that marvelloard.

Your black screen indicates the video hasn’t kicked in. I’m using an ATI video card so haven’t any recent experience with NVidia card but I see you're using Chameleon’s GraphicsEnabler so let’s enable Clover’s.

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>ACPI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>SSDT</key>
        <dict>
            <key>DropOem</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Generate</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Arguments</key>
        <key>Legacy</key>
        <string>PBR</string>
        <key>Timeout</key>
        <integer>5</integer>
    </dict>
    <key>GUI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Language</key>
        <key>Mouse</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Enabled</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
        <key>Scan</key>
        <true/>
        <key>Theme</key>
        <string>iclover</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <dict>
        <key>InjectKexts</key>
        <string>Detect</string>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Thank you guys again. Unfortunately I still get a black screen instead of desktop.

Also I must mention I still cannot boot Linux from Clover as depending on which of the two entries I select the computer either simply reboots or I get a Windows-Bootcamp-Logo, where any keypress brings me back to Clover.

It might be of interest that I changed my BIOS to Cartri long time ago, which made installing OSX a breeze (back in Snow Leopard days). Maybe a conflict? I completely forgot about that..

OK, some news:

The good:

I wiped my 2nd HDD, set it to MBR scheme, installed ElementaryOS Freya 0.3.1 (grub to sda1), and now magically Chameleon lists it. Also it boot, kinda..

The bad:

After Chameleon the screen goes black (booting Linux; OSX is fine, though). I don't even see GRUB. For a second, when the display server starts, I see the services (like in verbose boot). But then it goes black again. CTRL+ALT+DEL reboots the system, suddenly I see the EOS logo!

Reverting to stock BIOS makes no difference. I almost think my 650GTi is a bit of a diva.

The ugly:

Of course OSX now doesn't recognise the EXT4 partition and throws an error at GUI stage.

Edit:
After lots of unsuccessful tries getting Linux to work I decided to try with an older version of ElementaryOS. Guess what, Luna worked immediately!
So it was completely distro-related, so much wasted time..

Finally, I took my older 0.3 Freya install disc (downloaded 0.3.1 just days before) and installed, everything worked out-of-the-box. Except boot splash, no boot logo, I can live with that :D

Of course I need to fine tune stuff, but now I'm successfully running OSX and Linux in dual boot. Thank you for all your help!