Tiger Server x86

mk14

3 posts in this topic

Are there any beta versions of the server version of Mac OS X x86 out there yet?

Probably not, because once Apple has finalized the client version, it'll be easy for them to implement the server features because most of it's components are open-source and would just need to be recompiled from the x86-version.

It would really boost their sales is if they sold the server version without the dongling to Apple's hardware.

Running Mac OS X Server on any x86 server would attract many small and medium-sized businesses (and people like me) because they would not have to pay high per-user license fees, like they have to do for Microsoft servers, and still get something compatible to Windows' Active Directory.

Michael

Maybe internally, but as of yet I do not think that apple has seeded out any server builds quite yet. The reason behind this, I believe, is that the osx86 client build was built solely for developmental purposes, and, for the most part, developmental purposes do not include having the server version of osx86.

Running Mac OS X Server on any x86 server would attract many small and medium-sized businesses (and people like me) because they would not have to pay high per-user license fees, like they have to do for Microsoft servers, and still get something compatible to Windows' Active Directory.

AFAIK there is no OS X Server on x86 in the wild. It's probably somewhere in Apple's development labs, that is. I am not so sure if it would attract many customers other than those who are already running OS X on Desktops/Workstations. Remember, Linux comes free and there are some performance converns about OS X in server use:

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436&p=9