[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

Not really. Monitor is off but I can see it's not sleeping.

Strange because the only thing I've changed is HDEF device which as you know, was incorrectly set in this DSDT. Nothing else.

Does USB ports are all working ?

Okay, set darkwake=1, seems everything is working fine, so I will leave it right there.  :thumbsup_anim:

Sleep, wake from sleep and all 8 USB ports working! I officially take back every bad thing I ever said about you!   :poke:  :)

Looks like USB Injector Kext is ready for Prime Time,  and it has been added to Clover Folder in the Guide.  :)

Great GUIDE   :D  :thumbsup_anim:

Just one thing the picture of the Installer is not Usb Installer, its Post Installer  :rofl:

Details, details.  

Okay, maybe I will steal one of your pics.  :lol:

Fixed! 

Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan-V3.pdf

• Like 2

Okay, set darkwake=1, seems everything is working fine, so I will leave it right there.  :thumbsup_anim:

Sleep,wake from sleep and all 8 USB ports working! I officially take back every bad thing I ever said about you!   :poke:  :)

Looks like USB Injector Kext is ready for Prime Time,  and it has been added to Clover Folder in the Guide.  :)

:thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Well done man ! I never ever thought to set darkwake=1 to fix that !

Hello Guys i have just installed El Capitan on a 780 on my work ^_^  and it works with some little problems sound doesn't work for me but i am trying to make it work when i have the time. But the installer and the tutorial works great.

Maybe its better to put a release nr for the tutorial so people can see wich is the latest, i have always done this in my tutorials also maybe for the zip file.

Keep up the great work :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:  

• Like 2

Hello Guys i have just installed El Capitan on a 780 on my work ^_^  and it works with some little problems sound doesn't work for me but i am trying to make it work when i have the time. But the installer and the tutorial works great.

Maybe its better to put a release nr for the tutorial so people can see wich is the latest, i have always done this in my tutorials also maybe for the zip file.

Keep up the great work :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:  

For sound, did you install the AppleHDA Version 3 Kext?

With a 780 or 760, after install, (or System Update), install the kext to S/L/E using kext utility, reboot and sound should work.

I will start putting version number on the Optiplex 780 El Capitan Zip.  Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Sorry, i was always making installer following Vanilla guide  (last time with this Fusions's guide).

attachicon.gifconfig.plist.zip

Just had a look at your config.plist and as I suspected, it lacks mandatory CsrActiveConfig 0x3 in RtVariables.

Also, I forgot to mention that you have to use Clover Configurator v. 4.24.0 because previous versions has no support for this and even if you manually add the CsrActiveConfig value to your config.plist, whenever you'll open it with previous versions of CC, they' will be overwritten ;).

• Like 1

Hi,

First of all, great guide, used on a Optiplex 960 (pretty similar) everything is working fine except GFX, I'm using a Nvidia 210. I tried to use the DSDT supplied few posts back for nvidia but it won't boot, any ideas?

Thx in advance and if you need any testing on this machine I'm here.

EDIT: Okay, I forgot to inject Nvidia on generic DSDT, now GFX works but i'm getting black screen flashes every 10 secs aprox.

EDIt2: Okay, all solved, flashes was just a broken hdmi cable, I had to patch DSDT to enable hdmi audio and everything looks fine now. Pretty nice performance for an old machine like this.

• Like 1

Hi guys

I Have Windows And Mac OSX 10.11 installed on different partitions on my dell optiplex, I have had no luck getting the clover bootloader to work.

Does The Mac OSX 10.11 partition need to be active in order to get the clover bootloader to work ?

one other question ( ive looked everywhere and installed different kext but got no were )

Has anyone been able to get the sound working with the onboard sound card ( ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio ) ?

InfinityGhost

@InfinityGhost

For Clover, it's best to install Windows in UEFI mode. Even if Optiplex Bios isn't UEFI, it's still possible to use Clover to boot Windows UEFI.

See here and/or here. If you can't/don't want to erase your existing Windows install, you'll need to convert it to GPT/GUID partition scheme. See here.

Sound works fine in El Capitan using AppleHDA v3 in "Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover.zip" provided in post #1. You'll also need to use provided DSDT but since you didn't add your exact config in sig, I can't say if it's OK for your GFX card. You can try Generic DSDT which should work for any model :unsure: (still in beta testing :P).

@vktr91

Post your IOReg using IORegistry Explorer 2.1 (see here). Also, tell me how many and what video output your GT210 has and what type of Display you're using (HDMI/DVI/VGA…).

@Morpheousman

You were correct about Clover's fixes. I removed all of them and now there's no more problem with sleep. Now, it makes me think that darkwake=1 fixed another problem you had because with or without it, everything works on my system.

But I guess this has something to do with me using my very old VGA display :hysterical: (just joking, no sarcasm here ;) ).

7. Adjust some settings in OS X 10.10

Once in 10.10 go to finder –preferences –General and choose in "show these items on the desktop"

details, details… :P

@vktr91

Post your IOReg using IORegistry Explorer 2.1 (see here). Also, tell me how many and what video output your GT210 has and what type of Display you're using (HDMI/DVI/VGA…).

@Morpheousman

You were correct about Clover's fixes. I removed all of them and now there's no more problem with sleep. Now, it may me think that darkwake=1 fixed another problem you had because with or without it, everything works on my system.

But I guess this has something to do with me using my very old VGA display :hysterical: (just joking, no sarcasm here ;) ).

details, details… :P

I tried 2 or 3 DSDT's that you supplied, and the the config you posted with your USB injector kext. Sleep function would not work.

I unchecked all of the fixes in your config, and set darkwake=1, and used with the same DSDT I have been using for more than a year, rebooted and sleep and all USB are working.

I decided I would just leave it right there. :)

Is there a more perfect way to do it, probably, but I just know it works. ;)

That is the same DSDT and Clover.conf that is in Post #1.   

I have tested it, and I know it works.  Members can try a different DSDT, or patch their DSDT, or adjust Clover.conf from there,

but I think we have a common starting point that we know works. 

Hi,

First of all, great guide, used on a Optiplex 960 (pretty similar) everything is working fine except GFX, I'm using a Nvidia 210. I tried to use the DSDT supplied few posts back for nvidia but it won't boot, any ideas?

Thx in advance and if you need any testing on this machine I'm here.

EDIT: Okay, I forgot to inject Nvidia on generic DSDT, now GFX works but i'm getting black screen flashes every 10 secs aprox.

EDIt2: Okay, all solved, flashes was just a broken hdmi cable, I had to patch DSDT to enable hdmi audio and everything looks fine now. Pretty nice performance for an old machine like this.

Great news!  :thumbsup_anim:

Good to see you here. Thanks for the report. :)

@Morpheousman

You know, the only difference between the DSDT I've supplied and yours (I assume it's the Jake Lo's one with minor edit in HDEF device)) is in the GFX part. I only removed AMD specific patches and that's all. No more, no less.

So I agree that we possibly messed-up a lot of things when trying different settings in config.plist like FB names fixes, etc. but I'm not sure it was my various DSDT the real problem. TBH, I'm sure it wasn't.

But you're correct, everything works fine now and as you said : "Members can try a different DSDT, or patch their DSDT, or adjust Clover.conf from there".

I couldn't more agree with that statement :D !

[EDIT]

Hum… The DSDT in the post #1 is once again wrong. HDEF device is incorrect and that explain why vktr91 had to patch it to enable HDMI audio…

Fixed DSDT attached. No other edits :whistle:

DSDT.aml.zip

• Like 1

@InfinityGhost

For Clover, it's best to install Windows in UEFI mode. Even if Optiplex Bios isn't UEFI, it's still possible to use Clover to boot Windows UEFI.

See here and/or here. If you can't/don't want to erase your existing Windows install, you'll need to convert it to GPT/GUID partition scheme. See here.

Sound works fine in El Capitan using AppleHDA v3 in "Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover.zip" provided in post #1. You'll also need to use provided DSDT but since you didn't add your exact config in sig, I can't say if it's OK for your GFX card. You can try Generic DSDT which should work for any model :unsure: (still in beta testing :P).

Thanks For Your Help 

Which would be the best way to get windows to show in clover ? ( I can reinstall windows )

I've used Kext Wizard To install the AppleHDA v3 but still have no sound after reboot :/ 

Sorry for all the noob questions its my first time installing Mac OSX on an pc 

InfinityGhost

@InfinityGhost

No problem ;)

The best way is to follow Fusion71au Guide (second link) to create the Install disk. Once done, you'll see EFI Windows Installer at Clover boot. Everything is explained in the Guide so just follow it to the letter and you'll be fine.

For AppleHDA, assuming you used the files supplied in post #1 and used the DSDT, I suggest to use the new one I've attached bellow to fix audio which is not correctly set in the original.

• Like 1

@Morpheousman

You know, the only difference between the DSDT I've supplied and yours (I assume it's the Jake Lo's one with minor edit in HDEF device)) is in the GFX part. I only removed AMD specific patches and that's all. No more, no less.

So I agree that we possibly messed-up a lot of things when trying different settings in config.plist like FB names fixes, etc. but I'm not sure it was my various DSDT the real problem. TBH, I'm sure it wasn't.

But you're correct, everything works fine now and as you said : "Members can try a different DSDT, or patch their DSDT, or adjust Clover.conf from there".

I couldn't more agree with that statement :D !

[EDIT]

Hum… The DSDT in the post #1 is once again wrong. HDEF device is incorrect and that explain why vktr91 had to patch it to enable HDMI audio…

Fixed DSDT attached. No other edits :whistle:

Well, the HDEF device must be wrong if it is the original DSDT that Jake Lo posted over a year ago. lol

Mine is working with it, so I am trying to pay careful attention to Ancient Chinese Proverb,  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  :hysterical:

• Like 1

It's not a Chinese one but some says that "it's not because it works for you that the same goes for all others"… And yes, I'm sorry but Jake Lo's DSDT has always been wrong from the beginning for HDEF device.

Read carefully your past posts on the previous 10.10 Guide and you'll see that it caused some problems when MacPeet offered its patched AppleHDA.

• Like 1

It's not a Chinese one but some says that "it's not because it works for you that the same goes for all others"… And yes, I'm sorry but Jake Lo's DSDT has always been wrong from the beginning for HDEF device.

Read carefully your past posts on the previous 10.10 Guide and you'll see that it caused some problems when MacPeet offered its patched AppleHDA.

I have no clue what was was causing the issues Yosemite. I guess I was not paying attention. :unsure:

I just know that I cannot remember how many hours I spent trying to patch DSDT from Mavericks thread, trying to get it to work for HD5450 Video.

Jake Lo attached a DSDT, and finally we had a DSDT for HD5450 and we did not need to patch video kexts.  :yes:

HDEF device wrong?  I had no clue, and would not have cared at the time.   :D

REPORT:

I rebooted using the DSDT you attached in Post #63, Sleep seems to be working. 

BYW Professor, would you care to explain what HDEF is, and why it would effect other Video cards, but not HD5450?  :wink_anim:

I try to learn a little more each day.   :)

UPDATE:  Left Computer alone for a while, came back, sleep not working.  :wacko:

Will try some more things later and report back.

Okay back, have tested Sleep Cycle over 2 dozen times, and Computer only failed to sleep correctly once.

Replaced  DSDT in Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan.zip in first post. :)

@InfinityGhost

No problem ;)

The best way is to follow Fusion71au Guide (second link) to create the Install disk. Once done, you'll see EFI Windows Installer at Clover boot. Everything is explained in the Guide so just follow it to the letter and you'll be fine.

For AppleHDA, assuming you used the files supplied in post #1 and used the DSDT, I suggest to use the new one I've attached bellow to fix audio which is not correctly set in the original.

Dude!

You have been a great help today, Thank you :)

i have been able to get windows to show on the clover bootloader but I've still had no luck with the sound but its going to have to wait now as its 3am here.

InfinityGhost

Just had a look at your config.plist and as I suspected, it lacks mandatory CsrActiveConfig 0x3 in RtVariables.

Also, I forgot to mention that you have to use Clover Configurator v. 4.24.0 because previous versions has no support for this and even if you manually add the CsrActiveConfig value to your config.plist, whenever you'll open it with previous versions of CC, they' will be overwritten ;).

Thanks, i did all that was suggested :) : 

- used Chris's Installer 

- used your DSDT and config.plist (with CsrActiveConfig 0x3)

- Clover v3270 instead v3259

- and i injected nVidia for QE/CI

Everything booted and worked fine (except for 2 USBs, of course, and i didn't test seep/wake and stby).

But as soon as i tried to delete CPU info (and later change SMbios) from config.plist i got panics, waiting for root, or reboot loop.

Given that with your DSDT i don't have to use any other fixes for SATA operation, i can put it, finally, to AHCI and it mounts HDD right away,  

is anyone willing to patch/compile my DSDT for that AHCI fix? I think that it is simple ICH9 to ICH10 thing...? :blush:

post-1517990-0-16749300-1444183380_thumb.jpg

I have extracted DSDT and all six SSDT's (with Linux Live CD), but as soon as i start fixing errors and compiling i get kernel panics. From ML, through Mav and Yose to El Capt.

So obviously i still don't know how to do that. Anyone interested in helping with that?

acpidump.zip

Yesterday i installed my 780 at home and sound works thru HDMI but i can't control it thru the menu bar. I haven;t spend a lot of time on it but that is what i have seen. The rest is working well so far but when i have the time i will test it better. Also network is not working well i have installed the kext file but i get a wrong IP-Adress also for investigation.

Hi, pepto

Not supposed to be able to control HDMI Audio through the Menu, volume level in this case is controlled through the HDMI device, monitor, TV, etc.

For network, have you tried both network kexts in the included kext folder? Sometimes one works better than the other.

zumjys.png

morpheousman, on 07 Oct 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

Hi, pepto

Not supposed to be able to control HDMI Audio through the Menu, volume level in this case is controlled through the HDMI device, monitor, TV, etc.

For network, have you tried both network kexts in the included kext folder? Sometimes one works better than the other.

zumjys.png

I have noticed this also yesterday but i like to control the sound thru the menubar :) . And i have tried both kext for lan but it was a quick and dirty install so i will go further with it when i have some time.

For sound i wanna use the onboard sound because i have now speakers for it and i don't wanna use the HDMI so i will look for a new KEXT to enable onboard sound or is someone using it already the onboard sound.

I have noticed this also yesterday but i like to control the sound thru the menubar :) . And i have tried both kext for lan but it was a quick and dirty install so i will go further with it when i have some time.

For sound i wanna use the onboard sound because i have now speakers for it and i don't wanna use the HDMI so i will look for a new KEXT to enable onboard sound or is someone using it already the onboard sound.

I would also love to use the onboard sound card to but have not found away of doing this, If you find an KEXT that works with the onboard sound would you let me know what KEXT you used :)

I don't have an graphic card for this dell yet which means I can't use the hdmi audio.

InfinityGhost

Onboard AppleHDA Sound is working guys! Line Out, and HDMI.  

Make sure you are not using the HDADisabler.kext that was needed with Voodoo Sound.

Is Line Out in your Sound Preference Pane?

Try HDAEnabler.kext

Edit:

There was an incorrect HDEF device error in the DSDT that was in original Clover Folder. This caused AppleHDASound problem

The DSDT was corrected by polyzargone, and DSDT was changed in Clover Folder very late last night.

There are 2 solutions here.

Use the corrected DSDT,  place in EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched 

or, using the attached HDAEnabler.kext should also enable AppleHDA Sound.

HDAEnabler1.kext.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

• Like 2