[Guide] El Capitan 10.11.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) 755 (790) (990)

morpheousman

1,158 posts in this topic

See my post ;).

Straight from the Mac App Store.

Running 15E33e now.

I did that previously and it disabled usb 2 ports, ethernet stopped working, bluetooth stopped working. Inconsistent loading of kexts.

I am now doing the update with the downloaded update.

It appears to have worked this time without messing anything up, for now.

Why does the system profiler show two different devices in PCI Slot 0?

AMD Radeon HD 6xxx:

Name: ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer

Type: Display Controller

Driver Installed: Yes

MSI: Yes

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI Slot 0

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x6779

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x174b

Subsystem ID: 0xe199

Revision ID: 0x0000

Link Width: x16

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

pci8086,3a02:

Type: AHCI Controller

Driver Installed: Yes

MSI: No

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI Slot 0

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x3a22

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1028

Subsystem ID: 0x0420

Revision ID: 0x0002

hey guys,  anyone manage to get voodoo hda working with el capitan on the 760 ??? I installed version 2.6.2 and I have sound but the volume control does not work.

AppleHDADisabler.kext.zip

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

VoodooHDA.prefPane.zip

Install the kexts with a kext installation program.

Put the pref pane in the PeferencePanes folder located in the System Folder

Reboot

Set up in Sound preferences in System Preferences

It survived the 10.11.2 update to 10.11.3

I did that previously and it disabled usb 2 ports, ethernet stopped working, bluetooth stopped working. Inconsistent loading of kexts.

I am now doing the update with the downloaded update.

It appears to have worked this time without messing anything up, for now.

All my USB ports work fine as well as Ethernet. I don't have any Bluetooth device so I can't say anything on the matter (though I strongly suspect it's USB related, unless you're using a PCI card for that). I have no issue with kexts either.

Have you installed USB_Injector.kext and set correct DSDT Clover patch ?

Also, I do update to every final/beta releases through the Mac App Store since the introduction of El Capitan at the WWDC 2015. No issues so far :D !

Reading your post about how you installed El Capitan on your Optiplex makes me think you did something really wrong in the process. I still don't understand why it didn't worked as explained in the guide…

Would you mind to run the attached script and post Report.zip here ?

It survived the 10.11.2 update to 10.11.3

So does the AppleHDA when you use OP "Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip" :rolleyes:

I know you had some troubles using this guide but please don't mislead people with voodoo :P !

There's NO need for VoodooHDA on a 760 ! Thanks to MacPeet !

Hack_Report_Clov.zip

• Like 2

All my USB ports work fine as well as Ethernet. I don't have any Bluetooth device so I can't say anything on the matter (though I strongly suspect it's USB related, unless you're using a PCI card for that). I have no issue with kexts either.

Have you installed USB_Injector.kext and set correct DSDT Clover patch ?

Also, I do update to every final/beta releases through the Mac App Store since the introduction of El Capitan at the WWDC 2015. No issues so far :D !

Reading your post about how you installed El Capitan on your Optiplex makes me think you did something really wrong in the process. I still don't understand why it didn't worked as explained in the guide…

Would you mind to run the attached script and post Report.zip here ?

So does the AppleHDA when you use OP "Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip" :rolleyes:

I know you had some troubles using this guide but please don't mislead people with voodoo :P !

There's NO need for VoodooHDA on a 760 ! Thanks to MacPeet !

So far, everything works including Bluetooth, the USB 3 PCI card, etc., except for wake from sleep which is the same as it is for many who have an ATI/Radeon graphics card (I am using an HD6450 2GB). I have read that those who have a BIOS which enables the IGFX and the PCIe graphics card to be simultaneously selected have been able to get wake from sleep working. I have been looking into modding the Optiplex 780 BIOS to enable that but haven't found information on modding it, only SLIC mods for Windoze.

Here's the report: Report.zip

There's a bunch of bios-mods for Optiplex series available here though I'm not sure it's relevant for what you're trying to achieve. But who knows, you may find something more interesting on this site .

except for wake from sleep which is the same as it is for many who have an ATI/Radeon graphics card (I am using an HD6450 2GB).

Not true. My HD 5450 (and we are quite a lot here to own this ATI/Radeon model) has no problem waking from sleep. I don't see why a HD 6450 would differ on that matter. Problem is elsewhere…

Here's the report: attachicon.gifReport.zip

Thanks but the EFI folder is missing. Actually, that's where I wanted to look into :P.

There's a bunch of bios-mods for Optiplex series available here though I'm not sure it's relevant for what you're trying to achieve. But who knows, you may find something more interesting on this site .

Not true. My HD 5450 (and we are quite a lot here to own this ATI/Radeon model) has no problem waking from sleep. I don't see why a HD 6450 would differ on that matter. Problem is elsewhere…

Thanks but the EFI folder is missing. Actually, that's where I wanted to look into :P.

I don't know why but there's and EFI folder in EFI-Backups -> r333 -> 2016-01-30-17h32 but no EFI folder in the root of the hard drive like there was previously.

I have an HD5450 1GB. Wake from sleep does work with it but the HD6450 is better and has 2GB.

The BIOS mods you referred me to are to enable the Optiplex 780 to use a Xeon processor. I am looking for a tutorial and a utility to modify the BIOS.

I don't know why but there's and EFI folder in EFI-Backups -> r333 -> 2016-01-30-17h32 but no EFI folder in the root of the hard drive like there was previously.

The EFI folder is inside the EFI partition. EFI-Backups is created when you update Clover (note that it's only an option in the Clover Prefpane and can be switch ON/OFF).

You have to mount the EFI partition (Clover Configurator can do that) before running the script otherwise the EFI folder won't be included in the Report.zip.

the HD6450 is better and has 2GB.

That's for sure. My point is that there's no reason a HD 6450 would not wake from sleep. Again, problem must be elsewhere :P.

The EFI folder is inside the EFI partition. EFI-Backups is created when you update Clover (note that it's only an option in the Clover Prefpane and can be switch ON/OFF).

You have to mount the EFI partition (Clover Configurator can do that) before running the script otherwise the EFI folder won't be included in the Report.zip.

That's for sure. My point is that there's no reason a HD 6450 would not wake from sleep. Again, problem must be elsewhere :P.

Wake from sleep works when booted in safe mode. That's when the default driver/kext is loaded and there's no graphics acceleration. Apple must have removed something from the AMD graphics acceleration which wake from sleep requires.

Clover Configurator wasn't able to find the EFI folder, it is on a separate partition disk0s1, which is hidden. I used a script to mount it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308089-el-capitan-and-disk-utility-how-to-show-hidden-partitions-like-in-yosemite/

Mount EFI Disk0.app.zip

Or, better, install the modified version of Disk Utility from a previous Mac OS (Yosemite) that enables all the previous functions that are missing in the El Capitan version of Disk Utility. It's at the end of the thread at the hyperlink I provided above for the script. Follow the chown instructions and the instructions to enable the debug menu so hidden partitions can be shown.

Here's the report and boot log:

Report.zip

bootlog.log.txt

So you found the EFI folder, great !

I guess it was in another EFI partition :unsure:.

Booting in safe mode is obviously not the right way to have sleep work. I had a quick look on your config.plist and it seems OK minus the fact that you're using Shrike FB which I believe is not suitable for HD 6450 series. It may be the cause of broken sleep on your hardware.

I made a new config.plist and I also removed all Clover fixes in ACPI section.

Give it a try !

BTW ! I also added correct patches for AppleHDA injection so you shouldn't need VoodooHDA.kext/AppleHDADisabler.kext anymore. Just delete them from S/L/E and copy necessary Layout.xml.zlib and Platform.xml.zlib from AppleHDA.kext_Version3.zip to vanilla AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Ressources and you'll be fine.

Make sure to fix permissions and rebuild cache after installation and before restart.

config.plist.zip

So you found the EFI folder, great !

I guess it was in another EFI partition :unsure:.

Booting in safe mode is obviously not the right way to have sleep work. I had a quick look on your config.plist and it seems OK minus the fact that you're using Shrike FB which I believe is not suitable for HD 6450 series. It may be the cause of broken sleep on your hardware.

I made a new config.plist and I also removed all Clover fixes in ACPI section.

Give it a try !

BTW ! I also added correct patches for AppleHDA injection so you shouldn't need VoodooHDA.kext/AppleHDADisabler.kext anymore. Just delete them from S/L/E and copy necessary Layout.xml.zlib and Platform.xml.zlib from AppleHDA.kext_Version3.zip to vanilla AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Ressources and you'll be fine.

Make sure to fix permissions and rebuild cache after installation and before restart.

Thanks for helping.

Same problem with wake from sleep.

I couldn't get sound to work according to your instructions.

I would try editing the DSDT for the HD6450 like the DSDT is edited for the HD5450 but I don't know how.

First of all....love the quiz requirement to post on here! 

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this forum and ask questions. I got bored a week ago and decided to try my hand at this. I have built many windows based computers over the years so I decided to try a hackintosh. I got on Ebay and purchased a used Optiplex 780 for $50 shipped so I figure that is a good cheap starting point. I installed virtual box on my windows laptop and have yosemite running in a VM. Last noght I successfully finished (at least I hope it works) the install USB thumb drive by following the instructions in post 1. So now I wait on my Optiplex to arrive. I do have one question. The version of El Capitan available in the app store was 10.12 I believe (not 10.11). Am I ok using that with the Optiplex 780? Everything installed fine on the USB drive but before I spend more time I figured it would be smart to check here before I try and install it on the DELL. Also, if I want to try and use this process for building a Yosemite Optiplex....I have the Yosemite.dmg file but where would I place it in the mac VM so the installer tool will know where to find it? When I download El Capitan from the app store it simply placed the right file in the applications folder. Sorry if that is a dumb question :)

Again. Thanks for allowing me to have fun here!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and hackintosh community!

El Capitan is OS X 10.11, and the current version update is 10.11.3 so you'll have that if you downloaded it from app store in last week. 

OS X 10.12 is next OS that will come out, hopefully, next september, so you definitely didn't download that. :)

The same process works for the Yosemite, you just have to download Chris' Yosemite Installer from forum downloads.  

Or you can follow this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302877-guide-yosemite-1010x-dell-optiplex-780-760/

It should be in the Application folder if you want installer to find it.

Btw, don't forget that you won't have GPU acceleration (QE/CI) if you use integrated card.

So, avoid USFF (MT, Desktop and SFF are good sizes) since it cannot house PCIe GPU.

Cheapest new options are Radeon HD5450 (you have DSDT for it in the first post) or GeForce GT210 (mark InjectNvidia in config.plist). 

With them you will have great OSX experience on your Optiplex.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum and hackintosh community!

El Capitan is OS X 10.11, and the current version update is 10.11.3 so you'll have that if you downloaded it from app store in last week. 

OS X 10.12 is next OS that will come out, hopefully, next september, so you definitely didn't download that. :)

The same process works for the Yosemite, you just have to download Chris' Yosemite Installer from forum downloads.  

Or you can follow this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302877-guide-yosemite-1010x-dell-optiplex-780-760/

It should be in the Application folder if you want installer to find it.

Btw, don't forget that you won't have GPU acceleration (QE/CI) if you use integrated card.

So, avoid USFF (MT, Desktop and SFF are good sizes) since it cannot house PCIe GPU.

Cheapest new options are Radeon HD5450 (you have DSDT for it in the first post) or GeForce GT210 (mark InjectNvidia in config.plist). 

With them you will have great OSX experience on your Optiplex.

Great. So I should be ok. That was a great feeling to see Successful when the installer finished with the USB drive :)

I ordered a 5450 low profile from Amazon and will be using the SFF optiplex. 

Thanks for the great advise!

OK. Easy one :D !

You copied the whole folder "AMD Radeon HD 5450" in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched instead of copying the DSDT.aml file that's inside :P.

Move this file in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched so you have EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml and not EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/AMD Radeon HD 5450/DSDT.aml

[EDIT] Damn ! owbp is just too fast :D !

• Like 2

You guys rock! That did it. Now I am at this point. It seemed to get stuck about 2/3 of the way. I powered down and upped my ram to 8 gigs from 4. I just restarted it and I will let it go over night. I hope I didnt mess anything up with the hard shut down. 

12.  You will eventually get to the setup screens for OS X El Capitan. Go through the setup process to setup OS X El Capitan.

13.  Choose at, “How do I connect to the internet”… “MY Computer Does Not Connect to the Internet”, we will fix this later, go further with the setup process.

14.  The setup process will take about 3 minutes.

15. Done!

So after I shut it down and started the "boot from El Capitan" option it got stuck a little less then 1.2 way through. I figure it did not appreciate the shutdown. I tried it twice with the same result. Tonight I will wipe the drive and back at installing from USB - step 6. I remember when I loaded Yosemite on Virtual Box it took forever so maybe I was a little impatient. 

Edited by bclinton
  • Like 2

Hey guys, i have a dilemma, this is my second installation of El Capitan on my dell optiplex 780 and the only reason i installed again was because sleep isn't working as it should.  The computer monitor goes off and mouse/keyboard lights go off but the machine itself stays on.  Also i've noticed it's been doing some random reboots. Not sure what could be causing such behavior. Followed guide to the T and I'm using the DSDT for my gpu.

My specs: Optiplex 780 Bios A15

8GB DDR3 1333Mhz Ram

128GB SSD Samsung HDD

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (soon to be intel core 2 quad Q6600)

GPU ATI Radeon HD5450

Well heck. I tried the process again and it hung at pretty much the same spot. It is hanging after I install OSX to the HD and reboot then select boot from El Capitan. Not trying to bug you guys to death but is there anything that I can try? Would I be better off trying another version of OSX? 

post-1662939-0-42533400-1454717395_thumb.jpg

Well heck. I tried the process again and it hung at pretty much the same spot. It is hanging after I install OSX to the HD and reboot then select boot from El Capitan. Not trying to bug you guys to death but is there anything that I can try? Would I be better off trying another version of OSX? 

Which graphics card are you using on this optiplex?  

Please boot in verbose mode (press space bar at the Clover boot menu and select Boot Mac OS X in verbose mode) so we can know where it hangs and hopefully why !

@Blaggah

Do you have any third party hardware such as USB PCI extension card or whatever ?

Also, could you run this in a terminal window :

pmset -g assertions
syslog | grep "wake reason"

And post result here.

[EDIT] @owbp You did it again… :hysterical:

• Like 1