Check if my system supports metal

Derek12

13 posts in this topic

I am curious if my GPU supports the new Metal thingy. I checked system Information but nothing there. netkas.org says up to GF 400 but mine  (GT610) is low end so I don't know. Searching on Internet can't find nothing, only says that if the "real" Mac is from 2013 then it will support it (I use a iMac 2012 SMBIOS)

I used a Metal test app form here (Italian) http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306752-test-metal-os-x-1011/but it crashes (Segmentation fault 11) so no useful here (unless the crash means no Metal support but no mention in the thread).

Thank you

did you try in terminal ?

this is my output as expected

$ ./MetalInfo 

MetalInfo!

No Metal Device Found

and from netkas blog 

MetalInfo!

Metal Device Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Lower Power Device: No
Headless Device: Yes

Thank you.

Yes, this is what I get:

Chriss-Mac-Pro:~ Chris$ /Users/Chris/Downloads/Metal\ \(1\)/MetalInfo 
MetalInfo!
Segmentation fault: 11

Chriss-Mac-Pro:~ Chris$ 

And opening the other executable gives a instant crash

Process:               MetalTest [511]
Path:                  /Users/USER/Downloads/*/MetalTest.app/Contents/MacOS/MetalTest
Identifier:            org.netkas.MetalTest
Version:               1.0 (1)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           MetalTest [511]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2015-09-15 03:25:39.320 -0700
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.11 (15A282a)
Report Version:        11
Anonymous UUID:        7B09E2F0-7DAC-2F9B-1ABA-D46CAC2DEEF5

Time Awake Since Boot: 1600 seconds

System Integrity Protection: disabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000008
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x8:

I tried downloading from netkas  blog and I get the same thing I am doing something wrong?  :(

• 2 weeks later...

Most PC graphics cards we use in hacks aren't going to be supported (old) or don't have full metal support yet. Apple has blocked implementation of new graphics capabilities for years now.

For example: I have a Nvidia 970 that requires the webdrivers. Metal support hasn't landed in those drivers yet for this architecture. Since Apple has been blocking Graphics API improvements for years its stuck at OpenGL 4.1. This shows the maxwell nvidia GPUs have not had new API capabilities added to them (yet). [Apple wants to move people away from using universal cross-platform APIs (OpenGL & upcoming Vulcan which does much of the same things as Metal... but  works everywhere.) and the upcoming  and focus on Apple native APIs it can control and manage... hence Metal for iOS now being expanded and improved to OS X.]

The built-in graphics drivers for some nvidia/Intel/AMD GPUs have been updated to support metal, and also OpenGL 4.3. Web drivers have been less of a priority before release, so developments for architectures (like the maxwell I use) not found in macs are a low priority (ie the 970). Looks like Apple, as part of reworking the system support to add metal support, also allowed the manufacturer's OpenGL to become less than 5 years out of date (4.1 is a API spec from 2010, 4.3 is an API spec from 2012).

Just as an FYI, only Intel is used for native rendering of UI elements with Metal drivers at this point, so you won't see improvements in regular daily use at this point anyways. It will most likely take some time before discrete card support gets far enough along Apple may start switching over to rendering the core UI in Metal too.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My new GT 730 seems to support metal unlike the 610...

MetalInfo!

Metal Device Name:  NVIDIA GeForce GT 730

Lower Power Device: No

Headless Device:    No

How did you configured the Geforce GT730?

I have this but only recognize 1 GB of 2 GB.

And only run if I Inject Nvidia, the web drivers doesn´t seem to work.

My connection is VGA.

Thanks for your response.

Have a nice day.

How did you configured the Geforce GT730?

I have this but only recognize 1 GB of 2 GB.

And only run if I Inject Nvidia, the web drivers doesn´t seem to work.

My connection is VGA.

Thanks for your response.

Have a nice day.

Did you use nvda_drv=1 with the web drivers?

Be advised, with the nvidia web drivers which are needed to get full acceleration, VGA output will stop working unless you are lucky