non Apple HW in Apple HW

Opfel

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I thought it might be better to start here.

As i have not found much forums dealing with apple internal stuff, I hope this one is right.

But my search is not for generic PC HW but for non-Apple SSD in MacBook Pro.

My SSD in the MBP 11,3 is broken and I was shocked about the price for the replacement part.

(50% of the notebook price)

Than I figured out that apple use its own connector. But as it is still pcie, so a passiv adapter to M.2 could do the job.

Meanwhile I have a big question mark why apple use a server interface in a notebook.
I think it does not matter if your notebook handle 500 MByte/s oder 800 MByte/s.

So if Apple would think about user needs, it would let me make the choice if I want to spend 500 bucks for 800 MB/s
or 120 Bucks for 500 MB/s

As apple started in 2013 with this nonsense I wonder why no one has come with a alternative SSD?

The other topic. Apple support declared my MBP for almost complete broken and offer a fix for 1600 bucks, where the

new MBP would cost 1300. So I cleaned it by my self and it is working, HW diagnostic does not detect any error. But the SSD is not detected. The controller (hosted on the PCIe module) is detected (Samsung PCI vendor ID)

So my hope is a bit, that it needs only a refresh of the firmware and would work again.

I is a MZ-JPU256T/0A6.

No support from Samsung nor Apple on this.

May be here.

So if someone can guide me with this two subjects, please help me.

Well I would think the reason is 

PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 MLC and the chipset that runs enough PC-E lanes and that depends on the CPU like Ive-brigde E, Haswell and Haswell-E all support PCI-E 3.0 with 1x-16x bandwidth but to limited amount depending on platform. And yes, another after market manufacture (Scandisk but labeled Apple SSD). I would stick the sucker in the adapter below if its not a current computer you can get your hands on and see what it does with Paragon Hard Disk Manager or a modern X99 or X97 with an ultra M2 adapter onboard. Just sell it as is and wait for the new Intel Skylake models do very soon before years end. FYI NVME has a through put of over 2000mb/s

Name:   2013 MacBook Pro +Air SSD to PCI-e 4X adapter card

Model:  ST-A2013SA-B
Detail:

ST-A2013SA-B Apple 2013 MACBOOK AIR/PRO Retina ssd to PCI-e 4X Adapter card is used to covert your SSD from 2013 Macbook Air or Pro to PCI-e 4X on desktop .

Specifications and features:
1. Fit SSD modules only from the following Apple 2013 MACBOOK AIr PRO :
11" Air Mid 2013, A1465(MD711.MD712)
13" Air Mid 2013, A1466 (MD760.MD761);
13" PRO Retina Late 2013, A1502 (ME864, ME865, ME866)
15" PRO Retina Late 2013, A1398 (ME293, ME294, ME874)
2. Fit following SSD modules:
Samsung MZ-JPU128T/0A2, MZ-JPU256T/0A2,MZ-JPU512T/0A2,MZ-KPU1TOT/0A2(512GB)
Sandisk SD6PQ4M-128G
3. compliant with PCI-e 4x,8X,16X slot 
4. No need extra power adapter and any drivers
5.Supports DOS, Win98/SE, 2000, Server 2003, XP, Vista, 7, Sever 2008 & Mac OS & Lin

Good luck on that flashing

@mac09hack: apple care does not support all kind of damages.

And it is not about getting parts but about pricing.

@Hangten: I have already ordered this kind of ST-A2013SA-B adapter to have more options for analysis of the problem without risk the expensive MBP.

But what is the idea with the modern X99 ..M2 onboard? The Apple SSD does not have a standard M2 connector.

And your suggestion for the new SSDs is in the wrong direction. I see no need for 2000 MB/s in a notebook.