8800GTS Random Graphics Freeze on 10.9.5

Eidola

1 post in this topic

Sadly my GeForce 460GTX 1gb card died due to RAM failure, so I had to replace it with the previous card, an 8800GTX 320mb card.

I am using one of the latest Chameleon drivers and it detects and enables the card without any issue, however, there is a very annoying issue. At random intervals all graphics on the screen, except the mouse pointer, freeze... also for a random interval. Seems to be anywhere from 2 to 15 seconds at a time. Music will keep playing, downloads keep downloading, but no updates on-screen. After the random interval the screen updates as expected until the next random freeze.

I believe the issue is related to Mavericks as my computer and my server have the exact same hardware configuration, and the 8800GTX only locks up on my computer, but not on the server. The only difference between the two systems is the version of OSX installed; my computer has 10.9.5 while the server is still on 10.8.2.

Does anyone know what may be causing this issue because it is seriously hard to use my computer for anything other then web browsing when the entire screen randomly freezes for random amounts of time. Sometimes it won't freeze at all for a while, other times it will freeze like crazy continuously.

I have downloaded and installed the nVidia web-driver, but that did not change anything... if anyone has any suggestions or questions please post, and thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide! :)