No graphics / USB / Audio after wake

anor4k

586 posts in this topic

Just upgraded my machine with the R9 270X (see below) from El Capitan to Sierra. So far, everything is working as before but I noticed one change. With El Capitan I had to use framebuffer personality Namako patched with the data of Futomaki but this doesn't work anymore. Instead of that wakeup is now working with framebuffer personality Futomaki directly. At least one improvement and one Clover patch less.

Mieze  :cat:

• 3 weeks later...

i got auto reboot on wake up from sleep in 10.9,maybe patch and cache kext problem for 10.11.

it is all about kext,10.9 wake up without problem after rebuild kext cache,i have wake up arch linux fail by bad ati video card driver,after update ati video card driver i have wake up arch linux successful.so 10.11 does not have good ati video card driver,10.12.3 does not support my 6670,so Apple has ban pc ati video card for hackintosh.

it is all about kext,10.9 wake up without problem after rebuild kext cache,i have wake up arch linux fail by bad ati video card driver,after update ati video card driver i have wake up arch linux successful.so 10.11 does not have good ati video card driver,10.12.3 does not support my 6670,so Apple has ban pc ati video card for hackintosh.

There is no such thing like a ban for certain cards but Apple's driver developers won't waste their time implementing and testing support for additional GPUs which aren't used in Macs. Apple is developing Mac OS for their own hardware, not to make the hackintosh community happy.

Mieze

• Like 6

Hi,

Just another report.

With tricks post here I finally got succes sleep/wake with AMD w2100 (amd700 ctrl) and skylake Cpu.

EFI install, CSM enable, IGPU init first works as Mieze said.

UEFI install, no CSM, IGPU init first, works, need to connect display to IGPU just to init first and connect back to AMD GPU.

Here's ioreg : Frédéric’s iMac.zip

EDIT: Screen sharing not working, it hangs system screen, ssh connection's working.

Fred

• Like 1

I check out AMDTurksGraphicsAccelerator in dmesg exist in 10.9 in AMDRadeonX3000.kext

All MBPro's and the 2013 MacPro have device GMUX, aka GCON on the MacPro, to switch between GPUs. For details how this works, please see the corresponding linux driver where you can find more information: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/tree/drivers/platform/x86/apple-gmux.c?id=refs/tags/next-20161220

By the way, as GMUX is an I/O-port mapped device, you could make a FakeGMUX kext (just like FakeSMC emulates Apple's SMC) for notebooks with switchable graphics, provided you know how your notebook switches between both GPUs.

Mieze  :cat:

MacBook Pro models that had HD 4000 had a 650M as the dGPU. They can switch between them (HD 4000 isn't disabled). HD 4000 also isn't part of the motherboard, it's part of the CPU.

Will Intel HD GPU using RAM instead of VRAM that will slow down system?what is GMUX acronym for?

with a simple bios edit as found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/313977-r9-nano/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2333976amd gpu's now wake without issue and no more need for the igpu in 10.10 10.11 10.12 

Has anyone tried this on a laptop that has Radeon only, like EliteBooks where HD4000 is not wired on the motherboard?

@Slice. Assuming this works, could it be possible to do this with Clover? Also I already load VBIOS from file with Clover to get QE/CI on HD 7570M. Couldn't I just patch that file so there's no need to flash GPU?

Has anyone tried this on a laptop that has Radeon only, like EliteBooks where HD4000 is not wired on the motherboard?

@Slice. Assuming this works, could it be possible to do this with Clover? Also I already load VBIOS from file with Clover to get QE/CI on HD 7570M. Couldn't I just patch that file so there's no need to flash GPU?

that patch is for desktop gpus only 

Flashing the GPU's VBIOS on a notebook is dangerous and involves the risk of turning your computer into a piece of high-tech scrap. If it's just the VBIOS, patching the VBIOS file which Clover loads should be enough but I doubt that this will solve the problem as notebooks usually have switchable graphics and the switch has to be done properly.

Mieze

• Like 1

Flashing the GPU's VBIOS on a notebook is dangerous and involves the risk of turning your computer into a piece of high-tech scrap. If it's just the VBIOS, patching the VBIOS file which Clover loads should be enough but I doubt that this will solve the problem as notebooks usually have switchable graphics and the switch has to be done properly.

Mieze

IIRC the EliteBooks have the IGPU completely disabled (you can only use the dGPU), so no switchable graphics there.

IIRC the EliteBooks have the IGPU completely disabled (you can only use the dGPU), so no switchable graphics there.

Are you sure as this would also disable the multimedia acceleration features of the IGPU? Also keep in mind that selecting the IGPU as secondary GPU changes its PCI device ID so that it won't be recognized by OS X as a supported device anymore.

Mieze

Are you sure as this would also disable the multimedia acceleration features of the IGPU? Also keep in mind that selecting the IGPU as secondary GPU changes its PCI device ID so that it won't be recognized by OS X as a supported device anymore.

Mieze

Yes, it's completely disabled. It's not wired on the motherboard, so there's nothing that connects IGPU anywhere i.e., HP couldn't make a BIOS patch to enable it.

Yes, it's completely disabled. It's not wired on the motherboard, so there's nothing that connects IGPU anywhere i.e., HP couldn't make a BIOS patch to enable it.

There is no need for a display connector or any other hardware component in order to make use of the multimedia acceleration features. The question is, does lspci show the IGPU in the device listing?

Mieze 

There is no need for a display connector or any other hardware component in order to make use of the multimedia acceleration features. The question is, does lspci show the IGPU in the device listing?

Mieze 

No, lspci does not show IGPU on EliteBook 8470p or 8570p.

It uses both (shared system memory + 128 MB eDRAM on the CPU). I'm not sure how this is relevant though.

RAM sleep and wake works,but VRAM sleep and wake does not work,sleep and wake is less or more power controlled by driver/bios,so it should not be related to hardware problem,IOPCIMatch that for PC ATI Video card does not exist in AMDRadeonX3000.kext and AMDRadeonX4000.kext proof that Apple remove PC ATi Video Driver code.Please correct me if I am wrong.

with a simple bios edit as found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/313977-r9-nano/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2333976amd gpu's now wake without issue and no more need for the igpu in 10.10 10.11 10.12 

This patch doesn't do more than preventing the dGPU from getting init'ed during boot phase (in a quite brutal way), so that solution is sadly not better than all other known ways (iGPU=Primary, 2nd "helper" GPU, unplugging the cable before booting, ...).

Loading that BIOS with Clover won't work, as the GPU will already be init'ed by then.

This patch doesn't do more than preventing the dGPU from getting init'ed during boot phase (in a quite brutal way), so that solution is sadly not better than all other known ways (iGPU=Primary, 2nd "helper" GPU, unplugging the cable before booting, ...).

Loading that BIOS with Clover won't work, as the GPU will already be init'ed by then.

Sadly it seems to be the only way for laptops without igpu. I wouldn't try to flash my laptop though.

• 1 month later...

Much earlier in this thread it was reported that injection of an ig-platform-id value defining no frame buffers (such as 0x04120004 from Haswell/iMac14,2) solved sleep/wake issues with AMD GPUs. Does anyone know the corresponding ig-platform-id for Skylake iMacs?

Much earlier in this thread it was reported that injection of an ig-platform-id value defining no frame buffers (such as 0x04120004 from Haswell/iMac14,2) solved sleep/wake issues with AMD GPUs. Does anyone know the corresponding ig-platform-id for Skylake iMacs?

0x19120001
  • Like 1