No graphics / USB / Audio after wake

anor4k

586 posts in this topic

With ig-platform-id=0x19120000 and iGPU set to primary, it'll wake as long as no screen is connected to Intel Graphics. I guess this is caused by the buggy Skylake drivers.

It's not a headless iGPU though, graphics will work (just with "Skylake artifacts").

We don't know if it's buggy or just not fully implemented as the IGPU in every iMac with discrete GPU works headless and there are no Skylake Macs with onboard graphics yet, i.e. Apple has no need to write a fully functional IGPU driver for the Skylake CPUs in the near future so that it might remain unusable until the next generation of Apple machines with Skylake comes out.  :(

By the way, could you be so nice to provide me a full ACPI dump of your board as it would be very interesting to see?

Mieze

Sure, a full Clover Dump (F4) is attached.

Btw, do you know how the iGPU is configured in the iMac? I guess it uses a frame buffer without any outputs, right?

I'd like to do the same on my Hack, so the iGPU will show the boot loader and turns off when OS X takes over. This would be an "okay-ish" solution until the problem is fully understood & solved (or until I've given up and bought a NVIDIA...).

origin.zip

Btw, do you know how the iGPU is configured in the iMac? I guess it uses a frame buffer without any outputs, right?

I'd like to do the same on my Hack, so the iGPU will show the boot loader and turns off when OS X takes over. This would be an "okay-ish" solution until the problem is fully understood & solved (or until I've given up and bought a NVIDIA...).

If this problem with wakeup persists, I may buy NVIDIA stock.

So there is no solution for those of us who, when we set the internal GPU card as primary, we get no graphics output at all because of the way our BIOS works?

Thank you very much! You probably mean a platform-id with no framebuffers defined because a framebuffer is always tied to a certain connector. Unfortunately I haven't had the luck to get my hands on an ACPI and IOReg dump of an original iMac17,1 which is the machine you have to fake. If you can get yourself organized with a dump of this machine it would be definitely helpful as it would be a perfect guide how to configure your machine. As a thumb rule staying as close as possible to Apple's software/hardware configurations is the most promising way to get a working machine.

So there is no solution for those of us who, when we set the internal GPU card as primary, we get no graphics output at all because of the way our BIOS works?

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head. If your mainboard's BIOS doesn't play along you'll be out of luck!  :(

Mieze

Thank you very much! You probably mean a platform-id with no framebuffers defined because a framebuffer is always tied to a certain connector. Unfortunately I haven't had the luck to get my hands on an ACPI and IOReg dump of an original iMac17,1 which is the machine you have to fake. If you can get yourself organized with a dump of this machine it would be definitely helpful as it would be a perfect guide how to configure your machine. As a thumb rule staying as close as possible to Apple's software/hardware configurations is the most promising way to get a working machine.

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head. If your mainboard's BIOS doesn't play along you'll be out of luck!  :(

Mieze

Here's a DarwinDump & IOReg dump from an iMac17,1:

DarwinDumper_2.9.9.2_Apple_X64_Cap_apple.zip

iMac17,1.ioreg.zip

• Like 2

Thank you very much! You probably mean a platform-id with no framebuffers defined because a framebuffer is always tied to a certain connector.

Exactly, I was inaccurate. 0x1912001 is what the iMac uses, I'll try it later! :)

EDIT: Hmkay, I get a KP when booting with 0x19120001, no matter if I connect anything or not.

EDIT2: It'll boot up fine when injecting 0x1912001 and setting PCIE=Primary in BIOS. Well, actually it won't inject that platform-id. It seems Clover won't inject anything IntelHD-related when it isn't primary. Is this usual behavior? (Never had a Hackintosh with iGPU before, so I don't have much experience with this).

Btw, did anyone of you ever investigate the differences of IOReg dumps with IGPU=Primary (which can wake) vs. dumps with PCIE=Primary (which won't wake)? Some IOInterruptSpecifiers and other stuff differ, not sure if that's important or not...?

I'll have a deeper look tomorrow... :)

Exactly, I was inaccurate. 0x1912001 is what the iMac uses, I'll try it later! :)

EDIT: Hmkay, I get a KP when booting with 0x19120001, no matter if I connect anything or not.

EDIT2: It'll boot up fine when injecting 0x1912001 and setting PCIE=Primary in BIOS. Well, actually it won't inject that platform-id. It seems Clover won't inject anything IntelHD-related when it isn't primary. Is this usual behavior? (Never had a Hackintosh with iGPU before, so I don't have much experience with this).

Btw, did anyone of you ever investigate the differences of IOReg dumps with IGPU=Primary (which can wake) vs. dumps with PCIE=Primary (which won't wake)? Some IOInterruptSpecifiers and other stuff differ, not sure if that's important or not...?

I'll have a deeper look tomorrow... :)

Changing the primary graphics adapter also changes the IGPU's class code. Please see: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308025-no-graphics-usb-audio-after-wake/?p=2190074

Mieze

Maguro did the trick. It only has one connector (this is the reason why I never tried it earlier), but I'm using DP only so it's not a problem for me.

I've patched the single connector in Maguro with the DP entry from Futumaki and the display is now waking correctly. The configuration works for both MacPro5,1 and MacPro6,1

Thank you Mieze, Vlad and Slice!!! 

My Nvidia goes back where I found it  :)

Could you please explain how you patched the single connector in Maguro with the DP entry from Futumaki?  I have an R9 270X and am using just the DP and no other connector.  My config is MacPro 6,1.  My log on wake shows 

1/7/16 9:25:31.000 PM kernel[0]: AMDFramebufferSI::setPowerState(0xda413b8ee6845a1b, 0 -> 1) timed out after 45974 ms

Sleep/wake would be nice.

Could you please explain how you patched the single connector in Maguro with the DP entry from Futumaki?  I have an R9 270X and am using just the DP and no other connector.  My config is MacPro 6,1.  My log on wake shows 

1/7/16 9:25:31.000 PM kernel[0]: AMDFramebufferSI::setPowerState(0xda413b8ee6845a1b, 0 -> 1) timed out after 45974 ms

Sleep/wake would be nice.

Use Clover's kext patching function in order to perform the patch. Vlada published a dump of the connector data a few weeks ago here in this thread. Good luck!

Mieze

I used Clover's kext patching feature,

replacing: <00080000 04020000 00010100 12040301>

with: <00040000 04030000 00010101 12040401>

within AMD7000Controller

In case you are interested to the full config.plist I started a new thread in http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/310283-success-el-capitan-on-asus-x99a-i7-5820k-radeon-r9-270x-m2/

here is a snippet from my config.plist file:

<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AMD7000Controller</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>AAgAAAQCAAAAAQEAEgQDAQ==</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>AAQAAAQDAAAAAQEBEgQEAQ==</data>
			</dict>
		</array>

Graphics section configured as follows:

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>FBName</key>
		<string>Maguro</string>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>

It was a recap for jrhende to explain what I did. In my setup it is working, but I have an x99 with no IGPU, so I'm afraid it is not helping as a solution/workaround for everyone.

I am searching a solution without IGPU.

Ok. I am using the following profile:

- MacPro5,1 (MacPro6,1 is also working)

- i7 5820k processor

- Radeon R9 270x

Using patched Maguro, display sleep and wake work fine with Display Port at 4k resolution. The problem is that Maguro has a single display connector so you cannot configure Display Port and HDMI at the same time, and with the patch above it is going to work with DisplayPort only. If you want I can make a few tests with HDMI also, but I would need to patch the frame buffer differently - I can do it between today and tomorrow

• Like 1

Single display connector... this can be a key.

I need no HDMI, never used it. I have DVI monitor and good acoustic system.

You probably won't get much with that. Maguro doesn't work in my case or at least not with the FB patch for DVI 1080p monitor. But, I didn't check HDMI and DP outputs. 

According to the reports, it seems that Maguro only works with 4k Monitors, or perhaps system w/o IGPU, or both...  :huh:

All in all, I’m getting tired of this AMD graphics mess.   :worried_anim:

According to the reports, it seems that Maguro only works with 4k Monitors, or perhaps system w/o IGPU, or both...  :huh:

As Maguro is used for the first GPU in the 2013 MacPro it might only do the trick with system definition MacPro6,1.

Mieze

It’s not that… No matter what I do and which SMBIOS I use, Maguro (but also several others from the list) refuses to work. Besides, from Macandreas report, we can see that MacPro5, 1 and MacPro6, 1 should work, and I'm also using Radeon R9 270X. However, on my machine that is not the case...

All in all, I’m getting tired of this AMD graphics mess.   :worried_anim:

Do you confirm that no matter what device properties we use, what injection method, what bootloader, no matter, the problem still persists?

I tested all tricks and I got no success.

The problem may be resolved with some binary patch or with new kext I still don't know.

It’s not that… No matter what I do and which SMBIOS I use, Maguro (but also several others from the list) refuses to work. Besides, from Macandreas report, we can see that MacPro5, 1 and MacPro6, 1 should work, and I'm also using Radeon R9 270X. However, on my machine that is not the case...

Somehow macandrea has a success

Just to make things clear:

I’m referring to Display sleep/wake, not Computer sleep/wake.

Display Sleep: 

Without Maguro my displays sleeps and never wakes up. With Maguro it works properly.

Computer Sleep:

I never had the chance to test full sleep/wake because I get an immediate reboot upon computer wake I still have to investigate

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding…

Do you confirm that no matter what device properties we use, what injection method, what bootloader, no matter, the problem still persists?

I tested all tricks and I got no success.

The problem may be resolved with some binary patch or with new kext I still don't know.

Ok, here my report. 

I'm using latest Clover, where I have set Futomaki FB patch as primary since that's the one which works properly with my card. I add another line in the field kexttopatch for Maguro, for DVI-I patch, and later also for DVI-D patch because Maguro is single connector FB.

But that is not important, because when I boot in El Capitan with Maguro FB, my monitor shuts down, which means that dedicated FB is not working. Also, I switch SMBIOS from MP6,1 to MP3,1 then to iMac14,2 and finally iMac12,2. None of this works. Same thing happens with FB-s which have LVDS connectors.

However, I didn't check binary patch, but that's the smallest chance.

Previously I was tested latest Ozmosis via USB shell boot method in combination with Futomaki FB, same thing - wake won't work. And I was trying to fix the problem by changing various things inside the plist files for AMD7000Controller.kext, AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext

AppleGraphicsControl.kext is important and AppleGraphicsDeviceControl.kext inside the plugins folder. The other kexts from plugins folder can be removed and the graphics will work properly except, of course wake from sleep. So I tried that option too...

I'm running out of options. It would be nice to see what you did till now, because that perhaps can give me an idea to try something else.

Mieze trick works, as I said earlier, to my case is working 100%, PC sleep and wake properly, my problem was that I did not have to select IGPU screen to enter BIOS or selection of Clover, a splitter cable fixed DVI, and now I see BIOS screen Clover, sleeps all PC and awakens smooth and well.

My screen only has a DVI input, splitter cable allows me while my i5 2400 output DVI output motherboard and my HD6850, one starts and stops working when loading the kext for the graphic HD6850, so the HD6850 works perfectly, sorry mi english.