El Capitan GM won't install.

Derek12

15 posts in this topic

I got the OSX EC GM candidate from the App store.

I made a usb installer like in Yosemite, all kexts moved to the 10.11 folder in Clover (latest version), and after the apple boot screen all I get is a white/gray screen without cursor and a black bar on the bottom, the Caps lock key works, but I waited and still doesn't get into the installer. Anyone knows what's wrong?

post-767483-0-87246600-1442047161_thumb.jpg

I am using the same settings as in Yosemite (and Yosemite works fine) Everything is almost stock. No DSDT, no extra flags, nothing modified  except Clover, LAN and sound kexts and FakeSMC

Thank you

PD: Booting in safe mode -x gives a Kernel Panic which I will photo it.

PD2: After a second try I got the same screen as before but with a movable and animated colored spinner 

you need to set your boot flags to allow unsigned kexts... a few ways to do it, (rootless=0) or search around the forums for the others. I use Ozmosis so I write directly to the nvram and am unfamiliar with the command line's of the other boot loaders.

HBP

the BeachBall of Death means your FakeSMC or other EMU (smc emulator) is not loaded...

• Like 1

you need to set your boot flags to allow unsigned kexts... a few ways to do it, (rootless=0) or search around the forums for the others. I use Ozmosis so I write directly to the nvram and am unfamiliar with the command line's of the other boot loaders.

HBP

the BeachBall of Death means your FakeSMC or other EMU (smc emulator) is not loaded...

Thank you.

Actually Clover used by default two flags (rootless=0 (this one is new to me)  and kext-dev-mode=1 (I think this is what you were referring to))

I used this same Clover and settings and kexts to boot Yosemite without any problem. I can't follow this tutorial http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/because I don't have a 16 GB USB drive

PD, when I didn't have the fakeSMC, I got stuck at the apple with progressbar screen not the gray one with the spinner :(

Sometimes the easier things are the EASIEST ones, updating FakeSMC solved it! Thank you for the post which says the white screen w/ spinner was due to FakeSMC wasn't loading properly

I used the FakeSMC from the latest HWSensors :)

In any case I still have issues, I am installing and just noticed there are video glitches such as the aforementioned black bar at the bottom (isn't the monitor) and artifacting at bottom right  :( They don't happen in Yosemite.

I will keep and eye after it's installed

post-767483-0-00840900-1442062408_thumb.jpg

thanks for the update. i made some progress too. executed the post install process of chris' El Capitan HD app and now I can boot. posting this from 10.11

haven't tried much but for sure sound is not working: no output device

it seems El Capitan HD app uses newer version of FakeSMC: 1328

In Ozmosis 1479M i'm using HWSensors 6.18.1394 and argument "fakesmc-use-nvram" in Defaults.plist, without problems! System from signature.

I installed El Capitan by making USB drive with it then installed latest clover in USB EFI system partition including FakeSMC in 10.11 folder and configured SIP 0x67 in config.plist. After install booted into system, installed that FakeSMC with plugins, repaired permisions using KextUtility 2.6.4, reflashed Ozmosis bios and using this command:

sudo nvram 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:csr-active-config=%67%00%00%00 

I've disabled SIP. For the moment the argument didn't worked into Defaults.plist, only nvram.

Everything it's perfect!

EDIT: Latest FakeSMC with plugins, attached (goes into EFI clover  El Capitan USB install drive 10.11 folder)

FakeSMC.kext.zip

• Like 1

In Ozmosis 1479M i'm using HWSensors 6.18.1394 and argument "fakesmc-use-nvram" in Defaults.plist, without problems! System from signature.

I installed El Capitan by making USB drive with it then installed latest clover in USB EFI system partition including FakeSMC in 10.11 folder and configured SIP 0x67 in config.plist. After install booted into system, installed that FakeSMC with plugins, repaired permisions using KextUtility 2.6.4, reflashed Ozmosis bios and using this command:

sudo nvram 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:csr-active-config=%67%00%00%00 

I've disabled SIP. For the moment the argument didn't worked into Defaults.plist, only nvram.

Everything it's perfect!

EDIT: Latest FakeSMC with plugins, attached (goes into EFI clover  El Capitan USB install drive 10.11 folder)

Hi Kynyo! I'm also running Ozmosis 1479, and I have created the USB installer, installed Clover in USB EFI system partition, including FakeSMC 6.18.1394 in 10.11 folder and configured SIP 0x67 in config.plist (actually it was like this by default).

However, I launch the USB installer from BIOS, and when the progress bar is at around 3/4, the install screen goes like this: 

post-1372845-0-81351000-1442228869_thumb.jpg

I reflashed Ozmosis in advance, and tried Clover OS X El Capitan USB tool as well, same happens.

What do you think the problem is?

Cheers!

After that graphics glitch, may appear OS X install menu. If not, be sure to use a supported graphics card (if it's not working with IGP, try an nVIDIA GT210 or another dedicated GPU)

Leave it for a couple of minutes to see if it goes, if not may be a problem with your GPU type.

A better solution for you:

I was upgrading from Public Beta 6 to GM

Under El Capitan .. injection of kext is not allowed so forget about  /EFI/../Common, Apple does not want anyone to put stuff in /S/L/E so the place to put them is /L/E

The installer OS does not use kext from the target partition that is why you have to get into single-user mode and manually load FakeSMC.kext

The requirments for /Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext  (or any other kext) to load are

1) Must be owned by root:wheel (#chown -R root:wheel FakeSMC.kext)

2) Must have correct permissions (#chmod -R 755 FakeSMC.kext)

3) Have a valid signature according to Apple, if not  SIP must be disabled (#csrutil disable) or add "kext-dev-mode=1" to <KernelFlags>

This method would probably work too, Step 9 is not required for Oz 

I got the OSX EC GM candidate from the App store.

I made a usb installer like in Yosemite, all kexts moved to the 10.11 folder in Clover (latest version), and after the apple boot screen all I get is a white/gray screen without cursor and a black bar on the bottom, the Caps lock key works, but I waited and still doesn't get into the installer. Anyone knows what's wrong?

attachicon.gifDSC_0011.JPG

I am using the same settings as in Yosemite (and Yosemite works fine) Everything is almost stock. No DSDT, no extra flags, nothing modified  except Clover, LAN and sound kexts and FakeSMC

Thank you

PD: Booting in safe mode -x gives a Kernel Panic which I will photo it.

PD2: After a second try I got the same screen as before but with a movable and animated colored spinner 

I don't know if this will work for you but it worked for me.

1. After installation of El Capitan do not install Clover Post or any other bootloader

2. Just copy the folder named 'EFI' and the file named 'boot' (This file is a hidden file, you need some app to unhide the hidden files in mac) from the Installer HDD and then paste it into the root of the HDD where you have EL Capitan installed.

3. Eject the Installer HDD and then boot from the internal HDD.