Been trying to get a functioning OSx on my PC for weeks on my own with no luck - I need some help please.

Gysklar13

22 posts in this topic

Hello Hello!

So a quick backstory so you all can understand my situation:

I owned a MacBook Pro for 6 ish years and it's logic board up and died last month sometime. The thing is, I'm a musician and have several recording projects that I have been using my Mac for (countless hours of recordings) that are still on my old hard drive (along with 6 years worth of other {censored}) that I want to be able to access. Several weeks before my Mac died, I built a new PC for gaming and didn't intend on relying solely on it for all my computer needs so I hadn't looked into a hackintosh/OSx86 option before buying hardware. Thus explains my mish-mashed collection of hardware on my current build, which is:

(CPU) AMD FX Quad-Core 4350

(Motherboard) Gigabyte 990-fxa-ud3

(Graphics) NVidia EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Ti SC

*if there is any other info I need to supply, just let me know.

So, yeah, anywho, without the finances to buy a new Mac right now, I've been struggling and digging through forums, google searching and the like trying to get an up and running OSx on my PC and have gotten close but oh so far away. I never wanted to turn to bothering people about it but I'm at a loss and need some direction. 

Let me tell you what I have tried so far, and what problems I've run into:

So I had a semi-successful install of Mavericks via Niresh and the "beasts" from "you know who" (I've read enough of these forums to know not to mention them outright). I couldn't seem to get full graphics acceleration with it though (even with GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No) and even after it eventually recognized my GPU. But could not for the life of me get wireless working. I tried a ton of different kexts and an injectors related to my wireless card (previoulsy Rosewill RNX-N150PCe, now a Rosewill N900PCE, which is supposed to work with OSx OOB but still doesn't work) no results! These two problems make it impossible to try to run Logic Pro and any other application really without going insane.

Anywho, I then started figuring a Vanilla install with Yosemite would be my best option, but can't for the life or me even get to the OSx install screen.

I've tried various methods, most recently this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-updated-for-mavericks-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners/

All this with an InstallOSx.app of Yosemite downloaded from the app store - it's most likely 10.10.5, if that matters. 

The most common problem I run into is when I am trying to boot from my USB Installer I just made, it will just straight reboot. When I did -v on my most recent attempt after following rockinron_1's guide I listed above it rebooted after showing this (first attachment)

If I have gotten past this I just get kernel panics (second attachment) despite any bootflags I seem to shove in there.

Any help is appreciated! Again, just let me know what other info I need to provide, if any. I thank you in advance for your time and effort.

post-1587777-0-45454900-1441667949_thumb.jpg

post-1587777-0-69784300-1441668068_thumb.jpg

You need an AMD kernel + the proper kexts for your AMD setup, since OS X does not natively support AMD CPUs. 750 Ti is also not natively supported, it requires the NVIDIA Web Drivers (GraphicsEnabler won't do anything since the stock OS X drivers are simply not compatible with Maxwell GPUs, use nv_disable=1 on installer boot/initial boot). WiFi should work natively since it's an AR9380-based card, but the rollbacks required by some AMD setups (IOPCIFamily.kext, etc.) can sometimes break things, though I'm not 100% sure since I don't have an AMD setup, so look in the AMD section. You may also want to take a look at RampageDev's files for your motherboard.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply, RacerMaster! I knew I needed different kernels particular to AMD but couldn't seem to find one that worked. I'm aware of the Web Drivers for Nvidia and I installed it. The only problem is on my current set up when I set the Web Driver as the default, I can't boot back in. However, I'm gonna give a go at RampageDev's guides and see how that works. Thanks again! I'll report back in a while.

Ack! I just asked you a question in a different thread, Shaneee. I'm all over the place, sorry. Thanks for your response and the kernel link! I found a torrent of the 10.10.4 dmg, but if there's a better source you know of, let me know. I'll be downloading stuff overnight and try again at installing 10.10.4 tomorrow. I'll report back.

after setting the web driver you may have to boor single user mode and (touch) the /System/Library/Extensions folder again to force the recompile of the kernel cache. I have osmosis ad for some reason every time I install the web drivers i have to do that or it hangs the startup.

also, if there is a version of the OS, 10.8, 10.9 etc that shows in the WIKI as working (Best) with your board, stay with that one unless you have allot of experience with hacking extensions and kernel code. I would give different advice if you had Intel hardware, but AMD being flat unsupported makes it up to others who are donating time and creative energy to engineer a solution to get it to work.

to do the above, command is  -s on startup

mount -uw /
touch /System/Library/Extensions
exit

HBP

Hello Hello!

So a quick backstory so you all can understand my situation:

I owned a MacBook Pro for 6 ish years and it's logic board up and died last month sometime. The thing is, I'm a musician and have several recording projects that I have been using my Mac for (countless hours of recordings) that are still on my old hard drive (along with 6 years worth of other {censored}) that I want to be able to access. Several weeks before my Mac died, I built a new PC for gaming and didn't intend on relying solely on it for all my computer needs so I hadn't looked into a hackintosh/OSx86 option before buying hardware. Thus explains my mish-mashed collection of hardware on my current build, which is:

(CPU) AMD FX Quad-Core 4350

(Motherboard) Gigabyte 990-fxa-ud3

(Graphics) NVidia EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Ti SC

*if there is any other info I need to supply, just let me know.

So, yeah, anywho, without the finances to buy a new Mac right now, I've been struggling and digging through forums, google searching and the like trying to get an up and running OSx on my PC and have gotten close but oh so far away. I never wanted to turn to bothering people about it but I'm at a loss and need some direction. 

Let me tell you what I have tried so far, and what problems I've run into:

So I had a semi-successful install of Mavericks via Niresh and the "beasts" from "you know who" (I've read enough of these forums to know not to mention them outright). I couldn't seem to get full graphics acceleration with it though (even with GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No) and even after it eventually recognized my GPU. But could not for the life of me get wireless working. I tried a ton of different kexts and an injectors related to my wireless card (previoulsy Rosewill RNX-N150PCe, now a Rosewill N900PCE, which is supposed to work with OSx OOB but still doesn't work) no results! These two problems make it impossible to try to run Logic Pro and any other application really without going insane.

Anywho, I then started figuring a Vanilla install with Yosemite would be my best option, but can't for the life or me even get to the OSx install screen.

I've tried various methods, most recently this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-updated-for-mavericks-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners/

All this with an InstallOSx.app of Yosemite downloaded from the app store - it's most likely 10.10.5, if that matters. 

The most common problem I run into is when I am trying to boot from my USB Installer I just made, it will just straight reboot. When I did -v on my most recent attempt after following rockinron_1's guide I listed above it rebooted after showing this (first attachment)

If I have gotten past this I just get kernel panics (second attachment) despite any bootflags I seem to shove in there.

Any help is appreciated! Again, just let me know what other info I need to provide, if any. I thank you in advance for your time and effort.

I suspect that you do not have installed Chipset Driver and possibly the settings are not correct. Which kernel are you using at the moment?

...which bootloader do you use?.. and uploade your Extra folder, then we'll see.

To get help, then please post your concerns here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285760-help-topic-further-help-in-chatosx86hulegacykernel-irc/page-126

Edited by spakk

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

You replace the kernel in System/Library/Kernels then try booting with -x -f - v nv_disable=1 and see what happens

Shanee, I did that and booted with kext-dev-mode=1 nv_disable=1 npci=0x2000 -x -f -v and after scrolling rapidly through a bunch of lines it just shut down and rebooted. I can't get a picture of it because the text is moving too fast. I just know it was just doing the Read HFI+ files before it shuts down. 

I suspect that you do not have installed Chipset Driver and possibly the settings are not correct. Which kernel are you using at the moment?

...which bootloader do you use?.. and uploade your Extra folder, then we'll see.

To get help, then please post your concerns here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285760-help-topic-further-help-in-chatosx86hulegacykernel-irc/page-126

I'm using the latest Chameleon 2.2 rv2404. I replace the kernel in System/Library/Kernels with this kernel http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/461-amd-kernel-yosemite-10103-sseplus/and on the Chameleon it boots it still wants a mach_kernel, which I thought was only needed for a Mavericks and earlier install. What do you mean by chipset driver? Thanks again.

after setting the web driver you may have to boor single user mode and (touch) the /System/Library/Extensions folder again to force the recompile of the kernel cache. I have osmosis ad for some reason every time I install the web drivers i have to do that or it hangs the startup.

also, if there is a version of the OS, 10.8, 10.9 etc that shows in the WIKI as working (Best) with your board, stay with that one unless you have allot of experience with hacking extensions and kernel code. I would give different advice if you had Intel hardware, but AMD being flat unsupported makes it up to others who are donating time and creative energy to engineer a solution to get it to work.

to do the above, command is  -s on startup

mount -uw /
touch /System/Library/Extensions
exit

HBP

This is really helpful info. Thanks! When I get back up on a running OSx, then I can try this out.

add these drivers in to folder /Extra/Extensions/
(in the package is the Chipset Driver included "AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext" and FakeSMC.kext NullpowerManagement.kext and other drivers etc.) ....

Mavericks should boot with this bootargs:  -v -f npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=0 UsekernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No

....If you have set the BIOS settings correctly !! ... it is better to boot with a modified DSDT.aml

Edit:

should be clear, if you use Yosemite, then boot with: kext-dev-mode=1 and the other flags

drivers.zip

Edited by spakk

add these drivers in to folder /Extra/Extensions/

(in the package is the Chipset Driver included "AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext" and FakeSMC.kext NullpowerManagement.kext and other drivers etc.) ....

Mavericks should boot with this bootargs:  -v -f npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=0 UsekernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No

....If you have set the BIOS settings correctly !! ... it is better to boot with a modified DSDT.aml

Edit:

should be clear, if you use Yosemite, then boot with: kext-dev-mode=1 and the other flags

I added those drivers on to my usb. I didn't have an /Extensions folder in /Extra so I just created it. I booted with all those flags and still the same thing (I'm doing Yosemite so I have been doing kext-dev-mode=1 every time. I assume I have my BIOS settings correct. My board is UEFI so I don't have most of the options that I read about in guides of changing BIOS settings. I've tried modifying DSDT.aml a little bit but am still really unfamiliar with it. 

-f -v kext-dev-mode=1 fsb=200 Mhz npci=0x2000 and use iopci/acpi patched with chameleon

I used those bootflags with no change. It still automatically reboots after a few seconds. What do you mean by iopci/acpi patched with chameleon?

Thanks for your continuing help.

What exactly happens when your boot now? stops the system? If a panic message? Please be more specific and if possible take a picture and upload here.

What exactly happens when your boot now? stops the system? If a panic message? Please be more specific and if possible take a picture and upload here.

So like I said before, the text is moving too fast for me to get a picture of the last screen before it shuts down, but I took a video of what happens. In the meantime I think I'll try Clover.

Thanks again.

I use smbios.plist for iMac14,2

I suspect that there is something.

First, fix the permissions and fix the kernel cache with Kext Wizzard.
Since you have installed in /Extra/Extensions/  drivers, to allow this to be loaded, boats with the addition: UseKernelcache=No