Using a broken iMac's hardware as a desktop computer (kext help)

iMac desktop original hardware slow noise loud fan

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

LouCioccio

LouCioccio

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Not sure if this helps but here is link on fan control http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/ 

Lou Cioccio

wegface

wegface

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:watching paint dry

Why install clover or even choose diff smbios, totally confused.

smbios is important for power management, and your not changing cpu etc.

Modern o.s dont care if a screen or other hardware comes and goes, this is normal.

If it takes forever to do things, consider it has some other damage from the fall. 

An operating system is not aware if it is in its original chassis or in a cardboard box.   :blink:

IronManJFF

IronManJFF

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

I /agree with wegface .. putting Clover/changeing sysdef into a real iMac hardware only throws more complexity into the issue

Do you still have the little twisted wire shown in this pic on the back of the display ? That is the thermal sensor ..

supermartin

supermartin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I only installed Clover based on suggestions in this thread. I have removed it since.

I don't have that wire can't remember if that was present on mine. Fairly sure it only slowed down when the screen was removed, and that there was a thermal sensor on the LCD driver board.

Is that picture from a 2012 iMac?

supermartin

supermartin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Unfortunately I don't have the LCD driver board anymore :/

I guess I should start looking for a defective 2012 27" iMac.

I have the system up and running. It's working somewhat fine if I delete the kexts, but it only runs at 1.6GHz :/

For normal everyday use it's alright, but running demanding stuff just isn't possible.

keanwc

keanwc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, did you make any progress ? I am working on this problem too.

supermartin

supermartin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Nope sorry, I haven't made any progress :(

Sorry about the late reply. 

danieldbb

danieldbb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, it's my first visit here.

I have imacs 2012-2015 running just without original screen.

It's started with broken display and when I removed video data cable, used TB display, performance went back to 10%, fan up to 100%.

I want just opposite :)

Booting iMac with TB external display reduced performance at once and boost fans up to 100%.

Firmware reacts long before OS starts

So I decided to look for Hardware solution. And found one. So far no sw patch needed.

Week ago I made my first mini iMac running. Out of 2012/13/14/15 Logic boards + Power Supply - Fan = mini iMac

It's great!

If subject is still "Hot" contact me.

LouCioccio

LouCioccio

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Okay I know this is old but this is what I found out. My Late 2012 Fusion drive (128GB + 1TB ) had a SMART warning that the drive was failing. So after watching several videos I proceeded to take apart my iMac since the warranty ended back May (good timing). I did look for recalls but the only one was for the 3TB Fusion drive.

Bought the iFixit tape kit but in later video's I found 3M made a roll of thin double faced tape which was few dollars cheaper; the videos showed both ways the iFixit pre cut or using the 3M tape. If I had to do over again I would have chose the 3M tape as it made more sense to use and easier to apply small strips.

The back of the display and I know yours is gone does have a heat sensor which is combined with the video cable and probably kept that glued somewhere may have helped. At least for the someone else that looks to do something like that. 

Anyway I updated the the original 1TB to a 3TB drive and created a fusion drive from the clone of the original by selecting the restore partition, installed a fresh copy of El Capitan then finally using migration to get everything back on the drive. 

I am sure others have discovered this but at least I was able to visually look at it.

Lou Cioccio

https://www.dpreview...494427/img_0067

supermartin

supermartin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Hi, it's my first visit here.

I have imacs 2012-2015 running just without original screen.

It's started with broken display and when I removed video data cable, used TB display, performance went back to 10%, fan up to 100%.

I want just opposite :)

Booting iMac with TB external display reduced performance at once and boost fans up to 100%.

Firmware reacts long before OS starts

So I decided to look for Hardware solution. And found one. So far no sw patch needed.

Week ago I made my first mini iMac running. Out of 2012/13/14/15 Logic boards + Power Supply - Fan = mini iMac

It's great!

If subject is still "Hot" contact me.

I have sent you a PM. Would very much like to get this solved :)

vadmcse

vadmcse

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have sent you a PM. Would very much like to get this solved :)

Any news on this?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iMac desktop, original hardware, slow, noise, loud fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy