Using a broken iMac's hardware as a desktop computer (kext help)

32 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, it's my first visit here.

I have imacs 2012-2015 running just without original screen.

It's started with broken display and when I removed video data cable, used TB display, performance went back to 10%, fan up to 100%.

I want just opposite :)

Booting iMac with TB external display reduced performance at once and boost fans up to 100%.

Firmware reacts long before OS starts

So I decided to look for Hardware solution. And found one. So far no sw patch needed.

Week ago I made my first mini iMac running. Out of 2012/13/14/15 Logic boards + Power Supply - Fan = mini iMac

It's great!

If subject is still "Hot" contact me.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I know this is old but this is what I found out. My Late 2012 Fusion drive (128GB + 1TB ) had a SMART warning that the drive was failing. So after watching several videos I proceeded to take apart my iMac since the warranty ended back May (good timing). I did look for recalls but the only one was for the 3TB Fusion drive.

Bought the iFixit tape kit but in later video's I found 3M made a roll of thin double faced tape which was few dollars cheaper; the videos showed both ways the iFixit pre cut or using the 3M tape. If I had to do over again I would have chose the 3M tape as it made more sense to use and easier to apply small strips.

The back of the display and I know yours is gone does have a heat sensor which is combined with the video cable and probably kept that glued somewhere may have helped. At least for the someone else that looks to do something like that. 

Anyway I updated the the original 1TB to a 3TB drive and created a fusion drive from the clone of the original by selecting the restore partition, installed a fresh copy of El Capitan then finally using migration to get everything back on the drive. 

I am sure others have discovered this but at least I was able to visually look at it.

Lou Cioccio

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3201453800/photos/3494427/img_0067

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, it's my first visit here.

I have imacs 2012-2015 running just without original screen.

It's started with broken display and when I removed video data cable, used TB display, performance went back to 10%, fan up to 100%.

I want just opposite :)

Booting iMac with TB external display reduced performance at once and boost fans up to 100%.

Firmware reacts long before OS starts

So I decided to look for Hardware solution. And found one. So far no sw patch needed.

Week ago I made my first mini iMac running. Out of 2012/13/14/15 Logic boards + Power Supply - Fan = mini iMac

It's great!

If subject is still "Hot" contact me.

I have sent you a PM. Would very much like to get this solved :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...