Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21M - QE/CI

PippoX0

70 posts in this topic

This is my Extra for Yosemite.

I have used imac9,1 for smbios, but Sierra needs imac12,1 

I use Enoch 2725 ,but works Enoch 2839 too.

The Kexts are Fakesmc, NullCPUPowerManagement, ACPIBacklight, ACPIBatteryManager

on /S/L/E i have VoodooHDA for audio.

Hints: the keys on keyboard controls Volume+ and Volume - , and NOVolume very well !!

And Yes what are not working --> SD Card reader and intel WIFI ( i have used a cheap RT2870USB Wifi dongle)

Extra.zip

• Like 1

Nice to know, thanks a lot ! I'm still learning a lot of new things about DSDT editing and I'm about to make some new changes for the actual Sierra setup on the VAIO.

Let's see if it will work  :rolleyes:

Do you also have brightness working on Yosemite? ACPIBacklight serves that purpose? BTW even in Sierra those Volume keys are working fine!

EDIT: I've successfully reverted back to the first (original) DSDT and I have the correct battery percentage reporting. I also have added the PNLF "device" injecting a code that should try to implement display brightness correctly, but I still need to manually install the right ACPIBacklight.kext and see.

EDIT2: Ok so I've tried the ACPIBacklight.kext from RehabMan (which is probably the same you, @pippox0, used for Yosemite) but I haven't seen any changes regarding brightness probably because there has to be something to direct the right keys on the keyboard, and for this I've used the latest VoodooPS2Controller with its daemon, obviously removing first the ApplePS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller kexts. Unfortunately, even though I like the fact that the keyboard now seriously has brightness controls built in (Fn+F13 & F15), the brightness doesn't change and the trackpad became totally unusable. The caps lock key works fine with Voodoo, otherwise it would act strangely on Sierra.

@pippox0 can you adjust the screen brightness (at least from the Monitor panel) in Yosemite for example? This is a big deal for me... I'm about to leave Sierra because of its different issues, and hopefully 10.10 is stable and usable enough. I need your confirm though. Have you also tried VoodooSDHC.kext for SDcard?

Hi iperzampem0,

Brightness can be tuned from color profile manager.

I nave no brightness controll under monitor preference panel. No way

Yosemite runs well , but with 2Gb of RAM i prefer OSX Mavericks because it runs better and i like "old style" desktop.

I never tried to fix SD card reader, because usually i don't need it

With 4GB you can run the OSX you like

See Ya

sent from my iPhone

• Like 1

I really don't know why, but still in Yosemite the webcam and even the keyboard and touchpad (initially ok!) weren't working at all..... I'm really pissed and now I'm back into Windows 10 but I love MacOS and I'm feeling bad for this.

I would really pay for having at least a 90% working Vaio, mostly having a fully recognised display with brightness (adjustable from the slider into Monitor preferences if not from the keyboard) and all the other things except for the Intel wireless (of course) and the SD card reader.

EDIT: If it can be useful I've extracted the EDID of my display from Windows and, if I remember correctly, it differs from the one I was seeing into the DSDT on MacOS. This is it:

00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 3A C4 00 06 00 00 00 00
2D 0C 01 03 80 20 14 00 EA A8 E0 99 57 4B 92 25
1C 50 54 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
01 01 01 01 01 01 E8 1A 00 82 50 20 0F 30 15 20
44 00 42 C9 10 00 00 18 00 00 00 FC 00 4E 76 69
64 69 61 20 44 65 66 61 75 6C 00 00 00 FC 00 74
20 46 6C 61 74 20 50 61 6E 65 6C 00 00 00 00 FD
00 00 3D 1D 31 07 00 00 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 E0

Hi,

I will take a look if there are some differences.

The EdId should be the same.

I will report back

For Webcam try this -> run Windows10 , then webcam app in Windows .

Then reboot and run Osx, and See if it works ...

See Ya

Hello, I have yet to try dual booting or installing Mac from scratch again, but in the meantime I've looked at other things.

For example, I've looked at the EDID registered in one of the previously posted DSDTs here and the EDID gathered from my Vaio in Windows 10 (using the freeware MonitorInfoView), and it actually differs for just 2 addresses and the final value (so they're 3 different values totally):

0x00 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0x00
0x3A 0xC4 0x00   0x06   0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
0x2D 0x0C 0x01 0x03 0x80 0x20 0x14 0x00
0xEA 0xA8 0xE0 0x99 0x57 0x4B 0x92 0x25
0x1C 0x50 0x54 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01 0x01
0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01
0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0xE8 0x1A
0x00 0x82 0x50 0x20 0x0F 0x30 0x15 0x20
0x44 0x00 0x42 0xC9 0x10 0x00 0x00   0x18
0x00 0x00 0x00 0xFC 0x00 0x4E 0x76 0x69
0x64 0x69 0x61 0x20 0x44 0x65 0x66 0x61
0x75 0x6C 0x00 0x00 0x00 0xFC 0x00 0x74
0x20 0x46 0x6C 0x61 0x74 0x20 0x50 0x61
0x6E 0x65 0x6C 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0xFD
0x00 0x00 0x3D 0x1D 0x31 0x07 0x00 0x00
0x20 0x20 0x20 0x20 0x20 0x00 0x00   0xE0

The 3 values are the one "spaced": 0x06 (second line), 0x18 (mid), 0xE0 (final value).

Other findings:

--> Texas Instruments PCIxx12 FlashMedia Controller (5-in-1 Multimedia card reader SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro/xD) has VenID=104c and DevID=803b

--> Alps Pointing device (Touchpad) has VenID=SNY and DevID=9001

--> PS/2 Standard (Keyboard) has VenID=PNP and DevID=0303

--> Sigmatel High Definition Codec (Audio) has VenID=8384 and DevID=7662

--> I don't know if this can be useful, but looking into the subclass property "son" for the Nvidia card into Device Manager, I can see:

DISPLAY\NVD0600\5&4299972&0&UID1048848

Hopefully we can discover something new!? :angel:

Hi,
I re-check my EDID and is exactly the one i have posted in first page.
I have extracted from Windows a long time ago.

Try to extracted it with enTech utility and post the .bin file saved (128bytes)
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

It is very strange that Sony have changed Edid with the same notebook, but BTW it could be.

Yeah, our Edids are different for 3 bytes.

I have tried to fix brightness , (another time) with various methods, but with no success.

You should use color profile manager to create 3 profile with low, medium and high brightness level.

I Just create one and for me is enoght.

I have taken a look at my Bios : i have the same Bios version, but it is with very easy menu, and i can enable/disable only some things like boot from USB.
I have not advanced Bios menu to enable/disable Ahci,Vt+, etc.
Maybe this is Why i cannot boot El Capitan ..??

For Sd card reader, maybe in future we find out the right patch ...

Ok, I've used that software and the result is the same as before, 3 values are different, and this thing reminds me why the experts of Hackintosh always says to start from a personal DSDT even though the PC/Notebook is exactly the same.

By the way, another problem in Sierra was that I couldn't create/apply new color profiles because the Monitor panel wasn't accessible. Do you know if there's a different way to apply those profiles injected into the System folder? Right now I don't remember the folder path but I'm only asking if there's a way to directly apply/use those profiles without necessarely enter the Monitor settings. Maybe with an app?

Regarding the Phoenix BIOS, I've exactly the same "minimal" BIOS like you and I still see just that option to enable/disable USB boot. The others were manually unloked by me using a DOS-created pendrive (you can use Rufus for example) with the utility SYMCMOS.exe (http://tinyurl.com/5ypjnf) and the following commands after rebooting the Vaio with the USB inserted:

SYMCMOS.EXE -V2 -LORIGINAL.TXT

You'll have the complete BIOS registers saved into the file Original.txt (you can even use whatever name is better for you) thanks to the -L parameter.

Then you have to remove the USB and in this case you can either leave the VAIO turned on into that DOS environment and use another PC to edit the txt file and then re-insert the USB and continue the process, OR reboot the VAIO into Windows/MacOS and make those changes.

Make a copy of the Original.txt file and proceed with the editing process manually, searching for the values you're looking for, then save it as New.txt.

Look here and you can find all: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-NVRAM-Request-Thread-VT-AHCI-DEP-NVRAM-Register-Master-List

Whicever way you choose, you finally have to boot again via the USB into DOS and use the following command to actually update the BIOS settings:

SYMCMOS.EXE -V2 -UNEW.TXT

Where the -U parameter stands for "upload" and New.txt is the previously modified file with the updated values.

Reboot or just do a cold shutdown. Then your BIOS will be modified just like mine even though you won't have new visible options.

dspinfo.zip

@ Iperzampem0,

i have checked the two EDID , they are different, but only in description, all technical stuffs are the same.

Your Edid

Monitor
  Model name............... t Flat Panel
  Manufacturer............. NVD
  Plug and Play ID......... NVD0600
  Serial number............ n/a
  Manufacture date......... 2002, ISO week 45
  Filter driver............ None

Mine

Monitor
  Model name............... t Flat Panel
  Manufacturer............. NVD
  Plug and Play ID......... NVD0400
  Serial number............ n/a
  Manufacture date......... 2002, ISO week 45
  Filter driver............ None

The last byte (checksum) is normal that is different.

One interesting Thing i note is : Screen size is wrongly encoded in EDID  14,9" instead of 15,6" , but it is only a cosmetic thing.

EDID revision............ 1.3
  Input signal type........ Digital
  Color bit depth.......... Undefined
  Display type............. RGB color
  Screen size.............. 320 x 200 mm (14,9 in)
  Power management......... Standby, Suspend, Active off/sleep
  Extension blocs.......... None

• Like 1

Hey guys, I'm back on Sierra after just ONE single attempt (had to rebuild the USB installer, etc.), and it's working generally well like before, but with the same issues.

One thing though is that I've been able to configure the old wireless USB dongle that I had, the Sitecom WL-352 v1 (RTL8191S chipset), so I'm surfing the web with Safari and my iCloud account syncing perfectly. I still have to figure out the iMessage thing but right now I don't really care.

@Hervé: this time I've used just the same FakeSMC kext as yours, and the USBInjectAll kext from RehabMan and it worked, but still the webcam isn't working and I really don't know why.

What I care about though is... how can I make that damn Monitor panel to work? I've tried the "guide" from Tony's website (the one with Sierra's known issues) and I had modified my EDID (into DSDT) to reflect a 13" panel (as it was suggested) but it didn't work, so I tried also the VenID and DevID change directly but at the next reboot I had a completely white screen and to recover I had to load again the USB installer and copy back the unmodified DSDT from the USB to the Extra folder into the SSD.

If you're wondering why I'm still asking about this, it's simply because I'd like to change the Monitor's Color Profiles to better reflect colors. Is there another way?

One major findings that I want to share with you is that if you install from the Mac AppStore the free app "Brightness Slider" you'll have sort of a working brightness changing mechanism whereas you can also configure 2 buttons on the keyboard to increase and decrease brightness!  :yes:

EDIT: I've installed SwitchResX and now I have the possibility to also change color profiles to better reflect the color gamut. Nice!

EDIT 2: well, now I have an Atheros AR9285 (I already had it hidden at home) installed right into the Vaio and fully working on Sierra after a small patch (and thanks to Hervé for the already present DSDT definition).

UPDATE: it seems that after a "fresh" (cold) boot the Vaio started recognizing again the ALPS touchpad with the original kexts installed (AppleACPIPS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller:lol: I have also patched the stock Trackpad prefpane (https://www.hackintosh.zone/file/997-correct-preference-pane-trackpad-macos-sierra/) so now it's working perfectly and I can also assign different actions to the touchpad, for example tap2click and even 2-fingers scrolling which is actually working!

=> One last question... how can I fix wake? Sleep works fine just by closing the lid, but wake screws completely the screen. It could be due to some USB ports not completely recognized and/or some sleep/wake arguments to add while booting!?

• Like 1

There's still something wrong with the PS2 Controller because yesterday I wasn't able in any way to get it to work after a while.

Today, after a cold boot, keyboard and touchpad are working again, but this isn't normal and I'm still asking why...

Further, every once and then, my USB mouse (for example) stops working and I have to unplug it and connect it again to get it to work.

I think it's all due to the USBInjectAll kext of RehabMan .. should I effectively build mine from that? I have no idea on how to do it.

The USBInjectAll should work Ok as long as you also rename DSDT/SSDT "EHCx" instances to "EH0x". Can be done on the fly through Clover or manually by directly modifying the tables.

If you believe Rehabman's kext is not for your, simply identify all your USB ports through IORegistryExplorer, take a note of them, then build your own USB injector kext according to the existing literature. There are many threads that describe the process:

pokenguyen's guide

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/310404-usb-fix-for-el-capitan/

Thanks for answering, I have used that first guide for the first time days ago, and I made the "EHCx to EH0x" change in DSDT along with the "port restrictions removal" and the USBInjectAll kext load while booting.

But today I've tried a different approach consisting of:

- using the original DSDT "methods" with EHC1 and EHC2;

- find how many and which ports are actually used (as per the DSDT);

- add/remove those ports in the Info.plist file located into IOUSBHostFamily.kext (/Contents/Plugins/AppleUSBEHCIPCI.kext/Contents);

- remove the USBInjectAll kext.

I think this is a very stock method to use, even though I will have to do the same thing at every system update.

• Like 1

Spectacular, the system seems very stable and very well configured, with at least 80% of the hardware components working as expected.

Yes, wake is not working but having an SSD makes me shut down the system and boot it again in a minute, so it's not a big deal.

I'm wondering if it's now good (eventually!) to install Windows 10 having a full GUID partition table and just one partition (the one where Sierra is installed). I know, there're plenty of guides on the net disclosing this, but I'm asking to you guys first if you know what could be the best and simple solution to not lose time and efforts after all this  :wink_anim:

EDIT: I think I don't need Windows at all LOL I was thinking of installing it mostly to see if there was a way to make the webcam to work, booting first into Windows with its working webcam' software from Sony and then booting into Sierra.

BTW I was able to get FaceTime to work!! iMessage is inactive, I've read plenty of guides (all the same) and I think I have done all things correctly even for me with just an 11-characters serial. I don't plan to test more to get it to work.

Also the whole iCloud is working fine and the MacAppStore too. And here's some fresh new screenshots  ;)

Hopefully the upcoming 10.12.4 won't screw up all things (it should even fix the Monitor panel in Settings without any hack-changes).

post-290784-0-33636900-1488718466_thumb.png

post-290784-0-78681200-1488718504_thumb.png

post-290784-0-66413400-1488718515_thumb.png

post-290784-0-18480200-1488718553_thumb.png

post-290784-0-33218100-1488718640_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hello! No one did new experiments here?
I was thinking of trying to install again Sierra (but the final 10.12.6) or High Sierra 10.13.1 to see if something was changed for the better on this VAIO, like the ability to have a fully recognized monitor and a working webcam.

@Hervé : is there a new guide on how to create a High Sierra USB install? Apple seems to have changed the file structure a bit, and I can't follow your guides...

EDIT: I've successfully installed again Sierra (10.12.6) and the Monitor panel into Settings is now working (Apple fixed that!) so I can change the color profiles and gain something in terms of general calibration.

I've followed exactly the steps needed to have a fully working and clean setup, but at the reboot (after the first MacOS configuration and after having copied the kexts from E/E to L/E and having disabled KernleBooter_kexts=Yes) I'm presented at the login screen (cos I've set a password) and the Touchpad and Keyboard of the VAIO aren't working at all.

I can only use an external mouse connected to USB... if only I had a USB keyboard...

Even trying to boot up from the USB (Install media) doesn't change the keyboard/touchpad behavior. As I said in previous posts and from my past attempts, it seems that the VAIO enters in a "freezing" state regarding those PS2 connections.

I'm betting that those won't work even if I try to boot on a different OS...  :(

Sierra is up and running, I've managed to configure it via Bluetooth sharing my Mac's keyboard (using the same Typeeto app I've used before).

Keyboard & Trackpad aren't responding though, even after a whole new installation. I've also tried the updated VoodooPS2 kext (installing it accordingly and repairing every permissions) but it didn't change anything. Seems like the physical connector has been disconnected but it can't be possible and I've had a similar behavior in the past while installing/using MacOS.

I really don't know what to do... 

Give that Alps controller a try. It was written by Dr Hurt. I use it on all my Alps-based Dell laptops running Sierra and/or High Sierra.

attachicon.gifVoodooPS2Controller-RC4.kext.zip

Other versions 5 or 6 available here.

Thanks a lot for your answer! I'm gonna try it.

EDIT: With your attached kext the keyboard has started to work again! Not the trackpad though and I'm getting some random system hang. Can't really say if it's because of this new kext or what.

What do you recommend to try High Sierra? I don't think so, but would it be possible to upgrade directly from Sierra with the app?

You can try and identify your Alps version through the following Terminal command:

log show | grep ALPS

if it's an old version, you may not get anything returned.

Considering the age of this Sony laptop, it probably has an older Alps trackpad V1 or V2. Try this PS2 controller set, it's what I run on my Dell Latitude D630 in Sierra and High Sierra.

attachicon.gifPS2Controller_kexts.zip

You can try High Sierra of course. But as I recall, your Sony runs Enoch. That remains usable for HiSie but nearly impossible to use for installation and updates so you would have to rely on a Clover-based USB key to install and initially boot HiSierra. Same after each update. But latest versions of Enoch can then boot HiSierra 10.13 perfectly, the same way they do for Sierra, once you apply some post-update/post-upgrade tuning like reverting CoreStorage. To upgrade directly from the app, you would need to run Clover.

I would advise to stick to Sierra for the time being.

Yea, I would've tried High Sierra just to see if the webcam was working and if the system was even more smooth/reactive given the advantages of the new Metal graphics. Thing is I don't really know how to use Clover, it's too difficult to understand. I would've tried it if you already made a guide on the Dell forum  :rolleyes:

Regarding Sierra, I've seen that basically keyboard & touchpad stops working when I copy the kexts from /E/E to /L/E etc.

Booting from the USB key with KernelBooter_kexts=Yes was doing the job, at least initially after having installed and configured Sierra. I can't understand why, it just doesn't make sense because I'm following exactly what you've written/said and it's the way it should be done. Oh and I've always used those kexts (from your Dell) because they're working (at least at the initial stages).

I'm still wondering if all these is somewhat related to some USB ports not fully recognized... in fact I'm still using your USB injector kext because I don't have the time/knowledge to try (again) to modify mine based on the I/O reports of the VAIO.

NOTE: from the log I can see "ALPS GlidePoint v10.115".

Booting with KernelBooter_kexts=Yes normally ignores the cache, ignores /L/E and will look to load (inject) kexts from /E/E. As such, it makes for a perfect backup plan if you screw things up with /L/E.

Once (or if) you move (or copy) kexts from /E/E to /L/E, you need to repair permissions to /L/E, rebuild your cache and set KernelBooter_kexts to No. The cached kexts will then be loaded at boot time and /E/E ignored.

I know, and everything has been done correctly... that’s the point

Guys... After another attempt, which I promised myself to be the last, I have actually installed and configured Sierra 10.12.6 brilliantly well on the VAIO FZ!  :thumbsup_anim:

Basically, I've created a new install media USB with the latest Sierra and the latest Enoch 2905 on it (and that was the norm).

Then I've used the latest VoodooPS2Controller kext instead of the two PS2 kexts (AppleACPIPS2Nub & ApplePS2Controller) I was using before.

Now keyboard and touchpad are working fine! The latter is way too much "speedy" and I can't configure any settings but it works and I don't care much because I'm using an external mouse (even the Magic Mouse via Bluetooth).

Plus I've actually used the latest USBInjectAll kext (always from Rehabman) and everything seems to be working fine, apart from the things already noted on previous posts/attempts like:

- the webcam (that results "connected" but it's blank),

- the SD card reader (totally not recognized),

- wake after sleep which gives me a black screen and the VAIO is totally frozen.

- when connecting with HDMI the VAIO completely locks itself being unresponsive and without transmitting anything to the new attached monitor. A forced shutdown is the only option.

- display backlight which can't be controlled (neither from the keyboard nor from Settings) if not using a 3rd party app like "Brightness Slider" from the AppStore, which emulates the dimming.

Today I've ordered a new AirPort Extreme AR5BXB112 AR9380 Mini PCIe WiFi card which has 3 antennas like the already installed (and stock) Intel WiFi 4965agn and it should be recognized as-is after putting it inside the VAIO. We'll see.

Finally, I've been able to successfully create both the ROM and MLB serials for it to be more like a real Mac, injecting the latest FileNVRAM kext in S/L/E and FileNVRAM dylib inside /Extra/modules, and I was also able to configure iMessage/FaceTime correctly after a little while!  B)

EDIT: I've also successfully implemented the "Night Shift" feature of more recent Macs into this Hackintosh, by installing the duo kexts Lilu and NightShiftUnlocker into /Library/Extensions, repairing the cache and rebooting.

You can find the most recent versions of these in the attached zip file.

While testing the HDMI behavior (not working at all as written above), I've also tested the VGA connection and that works!
I won't be using that feature at all but I wanted to report it for completeness.

Lilu v1.2.1 + NightShiftUnlocker v2.2.1.zip

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...