Codec Commander ALC892 help needed

arsradu

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys

I need your help configuring Codec Commander in order to build it in a kext to fix my "sound-after-sleep" issues in El Capitan.

Does anyone on this forum know how to set that thing up?

I read the instructions on github over and over and over and over again. I guess I'm just too stupid for that. But to me, it looks like it's written for people with masters degree in programming. I can't understand a thing.

I'm sorry, but I found the previous version a LOT (still not easy) easier to configure and work with, compared to this one. And I know there will be probably people out there saying that this is actually a lot easier to work with. I'm sorry, but not to me, it isn't.

For what I could get, there is a default profile being set (not sure I can build the kext using that and expect it to work, by default), and there are some custom profiles...some of which are already there. So...what exactly do I need to change then, if my profile is already there? Also, it says the custom profile will extend/override the default... So...do I need to change only the "custom profile"? Do I need to change anything whatsoever?

Can anyone, please, tell me, what do I need to put where in that configuration file before building the kext? Anyone got this issue fixed in El Capitan using Codec Commander?

Codec dump attached, in case that helps in any way.

codec_dump_alc892.txt

If your only problem is EAPD, then you only need to install the kext.

Custom profiles are for the case of needing additional node tweaks on Init/Sleep/Wake.

Well, I hope the only issue is EAPD, at least that's what I'm aiming to fix here. But...just compiling and installing the kext doesn't seem to do anything for that.

Is there a way debug this issue? Like see if Codec Commander did what it was supposed to do and change something if it didn't?

Update: it did sort of work...for like a minute. After that, it's back to silence again. And I'm not enjoying it.

Well, I hope the only issue is EAPD, at least that's what I'm aiming to fix here. But...just compiling and installing the kext doesn't seem to do anything for that.

Is there a way debug this issue? Like see if Codec Commander did what it was supposed to do and change something if it didn't?

Update: it did sort of work...for like a minute. After that, it's back to silence again. And I'm not enjoying it.

Post ioreg with IORegistryExplorer v2.1.

I had to change "Perform Reset on EAPD Fail" to YES under default profile and under "Realtek ALC892 desktop" profile "Sleep Nodes" and "Update Nodes" to Yes too, because after wake up it was still losing sound.

I think I already tried that. After sleep I had sound for about a minute, after which it went back to no sound.

Switching between "Internal speakers" and " Audio out" or something like that, did bring back the audio, but only for that specific video/song I was watching right then. If I loaded another video, I would have to switch between these two modes again. Which is annoying.

So I'll take another look at what you're saying. Although I'm pretty sure I did change those things to "<true>" for Sleep Nodes and Update Nodes and all that stuff. Both in the default and in the "custom" profile for ALC892. And as I said, if I remember correctly, the result was the same.

By the way, I'm talking about El Capitan here. The issue might not be there with Yosemite (I haven't tried that yet, but on Yosemite, I used to have an older version of Codec Commander, which worked perfectly). Unfortunatley that doesn't work with El Capitan, starting with PB3...I think.

Here you go.

According to ioreg, audio is not working (CodecCommander is also not loaded). Check that you're injecting the correct layout-id for the AppleHDA you're using and that you have the proper DSDT patches for using AppleHDA.

Also, is there any specific reason for using IORegistryExplorer v2.1 ? I had to look for it online, cause I had 3.0.2 or something like that. So...any noticeable difference?

v2.1 is better.

According to ioreg, audio is not working (CodecCommander is also not loaded). Check that you're injecting the correct layout-id for the AppleHDA you're using and that you have the proper DSDT patches for using AppleHDA.

v2.1 is better.

OK, so, everything works ok now, including sound after sleep.

Assuming main issue was the Codec Commander kext not properly installed into L/E (user error).

So, basically, what you need for this to work, is:

1. working sound (I'm using toleda's Clover patch script version e). That will pretty much do everything you need to get the sound working.

2. Codec Commander, with no changes whatsoever in the Info.plist (at least for my case)

3. Xcode 6.4. Doesn't seem to work with Xcode 7 beta (6). Or at least I couldn't get it to work. It would always display Build Failed.

4. Codec Commander kext to be installed (with proper permissions) in L/E or S/L/E/

5. (I'm assuming) SIP set to allow loading unsigned kexts. Mine is disabled anyway.

Still, the fact that it works pretty much OOB for me, doesn't mean that I'm not interested in understanding how does it work and what would someone, with a different audio chipset, have to do to get this fixed.

@RehabMan, you said before that:

Custom profiles are for the case of needing additional node tweaks on Init/Sleep/Wake.

What exactly did you mean by that? And how would someone know when they need to perform those tweaks? Also, which tweaks can be done? Is there a list of tweaks that can be applied for this case? Where would you even start?

Can you give me an example of such a chipset or case where someone would need to make changes in those custom profiles? And what if someone needs custom profile? How would they add that, or can they just add it? The description provided for that wasn't really clear to me, in order to give me a clear idea of how that part works.

Also, is there a debugging tool/script for this case? Or something that could troubleshoot this kind of issues automatically and offer suggestions depending on each case?

Like, your codec is not properly initialized after sleep. Recommended solution: get Codec Commander. Yes/No. If yes, go to github, download Codec Commander necessary files, compile it (if Xcode is absent, ask the user to download, install it and try again later), ask for sudo password to install the resulting kext in L/E or S/L/E, rebuild kernelcache and ask for reboot to see the changes.

A script could probably do that, without very fancy UI. But of course, there are a ton of checks that need to be done in background to determine the issue and also to make sure there are no errors with this flow. 

Anyway, I just wish there was an easier way to get this issue fixed.

If I had more coding knowledge, I would have loved to write such a script/tool for everyone to be able to debug issues like this one. Unfortunately, I don't. At least not yet.

3. Xcode 6.4. Doesn't seem to work with Xcode 7 beta (6). Or at least I couldn't get it to work. It would always display Build Failed.

Pre-built kexts are linked from the README.

@RehabMan, you said before that:

What exactly did you mean by that? And how would someone know when they need to perform those tweaks? Also, which tweaks can be done? Is there a list of tweaks that can be applied for this case? Where would you even start?

Requires an understanding of the Intel HDA spec and then experimentation with hda-verb.

For example, I found my u430 headphone working better with VoodooHDA. So I used hda-verb to dump the HDA setup for the nodes, and determined what needed to be done to make the headphone work better. There are scripts to dump the various configuration from the nodes in the repo (*.sh), and you can look at the Info.plist to see the customizations being done for the various supported codecs.

Note: credit to the-darkvoid for the hda-verb code and supporting code in CodeCommander.kext.

Also, is there a debugging tool/script for this case?

Not that I know of. Just requires knowledge of how it all works... and detailed reading of the materials (eg. README).

• Like 1

Pre-built kexts are linked from the README.

Requires an understanding of the Intel HDA spec and then experimentation with hda-verb.

For example, I found my u430 headphone working better with VoodooHDA. So I used hda-verb to dump the HDA setup for the nodes, and determined what needed to be done to make the headphone work better. There are scripts to dump the various configuration from the nodes in the repo (*.sh), and you can look at the Info.plist to see the customizations being done for the various supported codecs.

Not that I know of. Just requires knowledge of how it all works... and detailed reading of the materials (eg. README).

Big thank you for everything! :)

• 6 months later...
Hello arsradu my old friend

I have with my MSI Z97 G43 ALC892 the same problem that after 30 seconds freezes the sound a.

I now have a patched ApplHDA the, and with the Board Z77A G43 running properly and also with Z97 G43 working properly,

but just the sound after 30 seconds inactive, the sound does not wake up alone again. I must sound volume button 1 time press

the Sound active again, but only for the next 30 seconds.

I have downloaded and installed the latest CodecCommander.kext in S / L / E at El Capitan 10.11.4. But still sound asleep after

30 seconds and is then no longer active, must wake up with volume-button again until back.

I ask you, what do you have modified and installed except the CodecCommander.kext? and you have what changed in Clover config.plist?

CodecCommander.kext is successfully loaded and SIP are set correctly (inactive)

I need to change something in the Clover config.plist in bootargs?

I would be interested because where does this time handicap of 30 seconds ago? the then sound asleep.

There must be yet established somewhere that goes into sleep mode after 20 seconds of sound. Know you details because more?

Thanks for help understanding the issue

Greetings from Germany to my friend Arsradu

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Hello arsradu my old friend

I have with my MSI Z97 G43 ALC892 the same problem that after 30 seconds freezes the sound a.

I now have a patched ApplHDA the, and with the Board Z77A G43 running properly and also with Z97 G43 working properly,
but just the sound after 30 seconds inactive, the sound does not wake up alone again. I must sound volume button 1 time press
the Sound active again, but only for the next 30 seconds.

I have downloaded and installed the latest CodecCommander.kext in S / L / E at El Capitan 10.11.4. But still sound asleep after
30 seconds and is then no longer active, must wake up with volume-button again until back.

I ask you, what do you have modified and installed except the CodecCommander.kext? and you have what changed in Clover config.plist?
CodecCommander.kext is successfully loaded and SIP are set correctly (inactive)
I need to change something in the Clover config.plist in bootargs?

I would be interested because where does this time handicap of 30 seconds ago? the then sound asleep.
There must be yet established somewhere that goes into sleep mode after 20 seconds of sound. Know you details because more?

Thanks for help understanding the issue

Greetings from Germany to my friend Arsradu

This is a weird issue. And to be honest, I don't know what could cause it or how to fix it.

@RehabMan, any idea on this? Sound falls asleep even with the computer still running? Is CodecCommander able to help with this?

This is a weird issue. And to be honest, I don't know what could cause it or how to fix it.

@RehabMan, any idea on this? Sound falls asleep even with the computer still running? Is CodecCommander able to help with this?

I have ALC892 working fine on my Intel DH67GD. All related files are here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-DH67XX-DSDT-Patch

I'm using Clover to hotpatch ACPI. Layout-id 3. And an AppleHDA injector (AppleHDA_ALC892.kext).

I don't use CodecCommander on the DH67GD.