Can I get more VRam

es27

5 posts in this topic

I have successfully installed Snow Leopard on my old PC. I understand that my ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (integrated GPU) is not the best for a Hackintosh and that it does not support QE/CL. However recently I decided to look at my system profiler. I found very shocking results under graphics. I found out that the VRam was 3mb (4mb at the most once and 1mb in safe mode). I believe I have 64mb usually. I only have 2GB ram and it boots with GraphicsEnabler=No. What I am asking is, is booting with that bootflag limiting my VRam or something else. Is there also a way to increase it to 64mb.

I am using a legacy kernel to boot up

Thanks for respone! Also do you know if there are x200 - x600 high resolution kexts. I found one however they were from rapidshare and that closed down. I mainly only need x200

These graphics controllers date back to Pentium M era, don't they? I remember the old Inspiron 6000 with optional ATI X300 or X400 graphics. They are not supported under OS X as far as I know. It was difficult enough, although doable, to get the integrated Intel GMA900 (of the Intel 915 chipset) supported under Leopard 10.5.8...

Is this a desktop or a laptop? Can you please posts the full specs of your PC (make, model, CPU, chipset, etc)?

You've mentioned using the legacy kernel under OS X on your system, so I guess it's definitely not a CoreDuo or Core2Duo CPU, but probably a Pentium M or something similar with a very old chipset.

You can only adjust screen resolution if you have frame buffer support. If you use Chameleon as bootloader, you may try to specify a dedicated higher res in your boot plist (use the Chameleon Wizard app/tool for that, it's easier). At present, I guess you only have default 1024x768 resolution.

If your computer is a laptop, it's probably not worth pursuing any longer. The only progress I've heard of ever obtained with those graphics chip was full (native?) screen resolution with a kext from a Callisto but no QE/CI. But this is going back close to 10years now...

My specs:

RM410-M Motherboard

Intel Pentium D - CPU

ATI Radeon x200 - Integrated GPU

2GB Ram

It is a desktop computer. I am running in res 1024x768 but my usual is 1280x1024. When I boot with bootflag "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" my monitor gives me Input out of range recommended setting 1280x1024. It then turns off. When I had Windows I had the same error until I installed drivers for the GPU. I was able to run it with the right res. I thought that there was a way to get kexts for that GPU to get res but no QE. I will try Callisto once I figure out how to use it.

Are you sure of your motherboard part n°? Can't find a trace of that id on Google...

Sorry I made a mistake it is RC410-M. Also I get mouse lag after updating to 10.6.8 from 10.6.2. Is this due to my GPU. It was working fine before the update. It is a PS/2 mouse.