Finally got Yosemite up and running! Need Help though!

darkgiant

7 posts in this topic

Hi All!

I am pretty new to the Hackintosh scene, but I am willing to learn! Before I start, here are my PC's specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4490 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

Storage: PNY - CS1100 240GB Serial ATA III & 1TB Seagate Hard Drive

Video Card: Saphire Radeon HD 7950

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I installed Yosemite 10.10.5 via the Clover method. I am able to boot up, and actually use Yosemite, though, I have multiple set of questions which I will just organize into a list for the sake of organizaiton ;)

1. First things first, I spent roughly $300 swapping both the CPU and Motherboard from an ASRock 970 Extreme3 Motherboard to the current Gigabyte Z97, and my FX-6300 CPU to the i5-4490. Both parts totaled out to ~$300, so my question here is, do you guys think this was a smart desicion? I don't have much financial resources, and instead, I figured swapping those two parts would give me OSX exposure to pick up on Objective-C and Swyft, and the ability to use XCode. Though, I do want to daul boot for Windows for specific programs and some games, but do you guys think it is a good trade off? I don't nessacarily have double doubts, but I am just wondering if this was a smart desicion. Are the parts above also stable? I went with the specific Motherboard and CPU as some users on Reddit suggested that I go with those parts, and keep the GPU as all those parts are one of the most stable pieces of hardware in the Hackintosh community.
  2. The installation method I used didn't mention anything about my hardware, so this is a two part quesiton:
    1. Should I have configured my BIOS? I am confused whether I should have or not, Yosemite boots up just fine and works, though, I don't want to break my motherboard or have a flat battery, if I should change something, what should it be? It is currently set to the factory defaults.
    2. Since everything works for me, do I need some type of DSDT patch? I am trying to pick up the jargon, but I am partially confused on whether this is applicable since i have the setup working already.
  3. Is there a proper way to use the Internal GPU and the seperate GPU? I want to use both as I figured it can put less stress on my current GPU. I have a three monitor 1080P setup, but when I plug one of the monitors to the Internal GPU, I do not get any display.
  4. I intend to get a 1TB Hard Drive (OS X is installed onto a 240GB SSD with the intention that applications and the OS itself are installed only onto the SSD), how can I go about saving all other data onto the Hard Drive? I have never done anything like this before, so I'd love insight on this!
  5. Now that I officially have a hackintosh, what do you guys recommend for dialy upkeeping? I don't want my OS X to just break or fale, as I intend to do some serious work on it (from progrmaming, to actual freelancing to school work). I just need something that always works and won't fail when I really need it! :)
  6. When I click on "About this Mac" I only get a reading of 1600 MHz on my RAM, though, the RAM itself is 1866 MHz. Any idea on why this could be happening?
  7. FaceTime works, but iMessage partially works, it sends messages to some people, but not to everyone, for some people it says that "The number is not registered", even though those specific contacts do use iMessage. Any idea on what could be the issue?
  8. Is there a way to have Clover always boot up my Yosemite install instantly, without me having to select it? There is no counter system, so I have to manually press enter for it to select the OS.
  9. And Finally - I have a Windows 8.1 install on a seperate 1TB Hard Drive. Everything works, and loads, but I have to unplug the SATA cable disconnected to my SSD for it to load, otherwise, when I select to boot up Windows 8.1 via Clover, I just get a blinking underscore ( _ ) that just flashes and goes absolutely nowhere, I assume this has to do with a proper setup of Windows Boot Loader or something?

I intend to setup some sort of posts/blog/video tutorial once everything is up and running, I want to contribue back to thet community as much as I can, as this entire process was possible only for the helping hands that took a chance on my noob self!

Thanks! Apologize for the lengthy post!

What kext's are you using? Sleep working? As for Clover it installs all the wrong setting for my config.plist so if your running with all your power management  working its a miracle, congrats! 

Welcome to the forum

What kext's are you using? Sleep working? As for Clover it installs all the wrong setting for my config.plist so if your running with all your power management  working its a miracle, congrats! 

Welcome to the forum

When I go to S/L/E, there is a long list of kexts that I am using, but I am indeed able to put my machine to sleep, and have it wake back up instantly, what exactly do you mean by power management?

And thanks for the welcoming! Really excited to finally to finally have OS X in my hands!

Well the cpu throttles down to save energy and also puts the machine to sleep so if you want to look at how many steps are in your speed stepping use DPCIManager.app. Look specifically at the P States. Some motherboards have one a few and need a modded UEFI or BIOS to get them working like they were intended. On Clover you can have it inject kexts (EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10). I have to have extra kexts for my USB 3 and so on so they go there in that directory. Stuff you may not be aware of is that when using bluetooth and putting your machine to sleep not just turning off display it won't recover unless your using a USB mouse or keyboard so using an attached mouse also gets rid of this annoying issue or simply touch your power button an wake works.

omg.

well...

many of the questions are a search away from you. if all works, no need for a dsdt. and yes, intel is the way for os x.

Apologize for the amount of questions I put together in this thread, I spent my entire weekend working on it, so I kind of was a bit overwhelmed.

But on my hardware front, does it seem like a good investment (comparing to my old hardware)? And glad to know I don't need DSDT patching, everything worked without much tinkering and Kext installs (I did have to install the OS three times as I messed up my first two times with Clover, but I eventually figured it out!)