NTFS vs HFS+ [performance/speed]

XTuga

7 posts in this topic

If I try access read/write a NTFS disk on Mac OS X will I get the same speed/performance than using a disk in HFS+ format?
There will be in having a NTFS disk and share it between both OS (W10 and Mac OS X)?

Note: Tuxera NTFS is the sw I use to write in NTFS disks.

[i'm making the questions since I prefer have a large 4TGb disk that I can share between my Mac OS X and my Windows 10, instead of having 2 disks in difference formats. Disk will be connected via SATA 6Gb]

Ex - Option 1
1) M.2 SATA Samsung Evo 512Gb - HFS+ [Mac OSX 10.10.5]
2) SSD Samsung Evo 256Gb - NTFS [Windows 10]
3) Seagate Barracuda 4Gb - NTFS [All the content]

Ex - Option 2

1) M.2 SATA Samsung Evo 512Gb - HFS+ [Mac OSX 10.10.5]
2) SSD Samsung Evo 256Gb - NTFS [Windows 10]
3) Seagate Barracuda 2Gb - HFS+ [mac OS X content]

3) Seagate Barracuda 2Gb - NTFS [Windows 10 content]

It's four (!) years old at this point, but not according to this: http://girlyngeek.blogspot.com/2011/08/comparison-of-ntfs-drivers-for-mac-os-x.html

The short version is:

For single files, NTFS is as fast as HFS+, unless you're using the 4-year-old version of Tuxera (I didn't see them mention which version specifically), in which case it's a bit slower.

For directories, NTFS is *abysmally* slow compared to HFS+, unless you're using the 4-year-old version of Tuxera, in which case it's slightly less abysmal.

There's a third option as well: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-read-mac-formatted-drive-windows/(The title is misleading... their "4th way" is to reformat the drive so that Windows can natively read it.)

And of course the fourth option is to get a NAS server and store your content on that, but that feels like cheating... and spending lots of money... (boo) 

I only have bad experiences with exfat on OS X (Mavericks). Never used it again after that. Hope it's fixed.

My external hard disk kept getting its boot sector corrupted and I had to reboot into windows and manually repair it via cmd chkdsk every couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...