Safari in general slow, specially google maps not loading!

Fabiuzi

1 post in this topic

Hi

I would like to share a solution for an extremely annoying thing that apparently has no solution on the internet (or hidden somewhere ;)).

I installed yosemite 10.10 with niresh installer. On my system it works flawless, with no additional tweaking! First time since 10.4 I had to do nothing and just enjoy! :):)

However, one thing was not working at all: google maps in safari was loading terribly slow, sometimes just freezing... I investigated more and concluded it was a general safari problem, since all other stuff with internet (torrents, ...) was working fine. But I couldn't find a solution for safari.

4 months later (today), I started digging in my network preferences and I saw something new, or at least something that never catched my eye before. In the settings of TCP/IP you can now choose ipv6 and indeed, it was automatically set and my local ip and router ip were both ipv4 and ipv6. Since I wrote papers back in the day on the ipv6 draft, some light bulb went off in my head and I could directly imagine what happened.

This is an issue that will repeat itself for the coming 20 years, or at least until all network devices don't have decent hardware which can manage ipv4 and ipv6 simultaneously without problems. it is also quite complex to do it, but in the end many vendors still sell problematic hardware concerning ipv4/ipv6 conversion.

So, what did i do? you can guess it... changed the setting to 'only link local' and tadaah... Superfast google maps!!  :lol:

Hope I can help people who has the same issue and don't know where to look or how to fix it.

Greetz