X99 Haswell-E BEAST - 5960X Yosemite 10.10.4 Random Restart - HW issue? GURU's Needed! Help!

onmybikedrunk

8 posts in this topic

Specs:

• Asus X99 Sabertooth TUF
  • i7-5960X
  • Hynix 32GB 3000Mhz DDR4 kit (run at 2666)
  • 3 Sandisk Extreme II SSDs - 1 OS X, 1 Windows 10, 1 Media Storage
  • 1 WD Black 1TB
  • EVGA P2 1000w PSU (Platinum)
  • Kraken X61 Closed Loop Cooler
  • 2 x 980 Ti (Evga Superclocked Stock Cooler)
  • PCI Wifi/Bluetooth Card - Legit Apple
  • USB Sound (stock AppleHDA)

Bootloader/Software:

• Clover r3253 (latest as of this post)
  • SSDT from RampageDev X99 DMG (updated this past weekend for X99 Sabertooth)
  • Kexts: GenericUSB/10.9.5 Rollbacks of IOPCIFamily, AppleAPCIPlatform/FakeSMC/VoodooTSync/NullCPU/FakeSMC
  • WebDrivers (newest with 980 Ti support)

Problem:

While using OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 without warning or any noticeable console errors or kernel panics my machine just simply restarts.  It's almost like someone rips the power cord from the wall, but it reboots.  When it reboots all the windows I had open reappear even though I have the little tick box unchecked when manually restarting/shutting down that provides for windows to reopen.  

History:

I figured this was a hardware issue - but I'm starting to second guess myself.  The kicker is this machine functions BEAUTIFULLY under Windows, and even with the Windows 10 upgrade.  It began randomly in OS X 10.10.3 as I've had a completely functioning X99 Hack since the X99 release last year.  So I'm at a loss here and on my last limb of sanity.  I waited patiently for 10.10.4 figuring I just needed to reinstall OS X, using Windows in the meantime.  I should mention - I'm lucky enough to live by a Microcenter and I always purchase the build-yourself-warranty that allows for a new or equal in monetary swap out of new parts if something goes bad - or if you just feel like upgrading.  

Since the problem started, in an effort to diagnose this problem, I swapped the motherboard from an Asus X99 Deluxe to an X99 Sabertooth, I've RMA'd the Memory (XMP profile wouldn't show in BIOS), installed new GPUs (went from Titan Blacks to 980 Ti's), and tried different disks to no avail.  I've monitored the PSU voltages in Windows but have not used a multimeter or PSU tester.  The last thing I can think of is that it may be the CPU, but as I mentioned, EVERYTHING functions perfectly in Windows. I've done about 4 fresh installs testing different kexts etc... I'm dying for some sort of answer here. I really don't want to use my CPU upgrade at MC for the same one, I'd rather wait for Broadwell-E (if it happens).  

Calling all GURUs!  Toleda, Pike R. Alpha, RampageDev, Netkas or Slice even!  HELP ME! lol

Hi,

First of, i love how you have set up your post!

Next time this error occurs, write down the time it happens. After reboot, go to Programs/Utilities, and open Console.

Either save the system.log, or search for the time the error occured. 

Provide the system.log and time of error here, hopefully it's just an software issue. 

Few questions still. 

- What bootloader do you use? 

- Custom DSDT/SSDT? 

After a crash, OSX will open all windows from before the crash, regardless of settings. 

I suppose it's possible, but I've always run the same SMBios since X79- even ran 6,1 for a while but the dual GPU thing messes that up.  I'm running a Mac5,1 (2010 Mac Pro) SMBios now.  It is custom set up for iMessage using an old MLB and ROM from an old legit MacBook.  

Hi,

First of, i love how you have set up your post!

Next time this error occurs, write down the time it happens. After reboot, go to Programs/Utilities, and open Console.

Either save the system.log, or search for the time the error occured. 

Provide the system.log and time of error here, hopefully it's just an software issue. 

Few questions still. 

- What bootloader do you use? 

- Custom DSDT/SSDT? 

After a crash, OSX will open all windows from before the crash, regardless of settings. 

Yeah I suppose that's important info huh?  I edited the OP to reflect that info then some... But I'm on Clover (newest) and I'm using Andrew's SSDT which he just released for this specific board this weekend.  Thanks for your help!

What ACPI patches are you using? Attach all ACPI tables and IOReg copy.

Hmm you might have to hold my hand a bit here.  I'm using RampageDev SSDT for X99 Sabertooth (see attached), IOReg is no problem - see attached, but not sure how to get ACPI tables, I assume that's DSDT extract?  If so I included that also.  Just Haltenabler otherwise... 

IOREG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqdsdvshhtjw3l1/Danny%27s%20Mac%20Pro.ioreg?dl=0

SSDT Rampage Dev: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6mcjuvg630lj4a/SSDT.aml?dl=0

DSDT Extract: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2z7lx4ymp2m813/dsdt.aml?dl=0

I'm new to this in many people's eyes.  Built my first Hack February 2014 after being disappointed with the nMP (sold it for way more than I paid and headed to Microcenter for PC parts), so I'm still learning.  Excuse my ignorance.  Thank you very much for your help.

So I just did a fresh install of 10.10.5 and all my issues **POOF** are gone... So strange.  I must have done 5 clean installs from scratch - start to finish - all the way down to redownloading the installer package.  SOOOOOO for now everything looks fine!  **Knocks on wood**  So weird.  Thanks for all your help folks. 

• 4 weeks later...

10.10.3 update 10.10.5 from App Store problem

x99-ud4 

5960x

after update when i power on my computer after i see clover boot and press enter to macintosh hd
i see apple logo with load bar, but after 2-3 seconds it's reboot and restart my computer

i try to copy kext from backup clear kernel none of them work

there is someone professional here can help me with that?

10.10.3 update 10.10.5 from App Store problem

x99-ud4 

5960x

after update when i power on my computer after i see clover boot and press enter to macintosh hd

i see apple logo with load bar, but after 2-3 seconds it's reboot and restart my computer

i try to copy kext from backup clear kernel none of them work

there is someone professional here can help me with that?

Yep try nv_disable=1 if you have any such?