Reference 660Ti to EVGA SSC 970 (clover 10.10.4)

dlk0606

4 posts in this topic

My first post. I know enough about computers to have passed both quizzes very quickly, but I will admit that I am completely ignorant when it comes to much of the technical junk. As in, I can tell you what is going wrong if I boot in verbose mode, but I would have absolutely no idea how to fix it beyond changing boot flags. So forgive me if this question is considered silly:

I'm thinking it's time to update my graphics card. I have a 660ti that I have used in both my mac pro and, when that bit the dust, my current hackintosh. Though there were some bumps along the way of getting my hackintosh to work, the video card was not one of them, and it worked out-of-box in the mac pro.

Does anyone know if there are any associated annoyances that might come with swapping out the 660ti for the 970? I've looked around and seen a lot of people having issues with the 970 (and others having no problem getting it working), but since most of those are in relation to new builds, I don't know if the problems they had were associated with the build in general or the card specifically. I'm planning on getting the EVGA SSC ACX 2.0+ 970, and I am running 10.10.4 using clover as my bootloader.

My first post. I know enough about computers to have passed both quizzes very quickly, but I will admit that I am completely ignorant when it comes to much of the technical junk. As in, I can tell you what is going wrong if I boot in verbose mode, but I would have absolutely no idea how to fix it beyond changing boot flags. So forgive me if this question is considered silly:

I'm thinking it's time to update my graphics card. I have a 660ti that I have used in both my mac pro and, when that bit the dust, my current hackintosh. Though there were some bumps along the way of getting my hackintosh to work, the video card was not one of them, and it worked out-of-box in the mac pro.

Does anyone know if there are any associated annoyances that might come with swapping out the 660ti for the 970? I've looked around and seen a lot of people having issues with the 970 (and others having no problem getting it working), but since most of those are in relation to new builds, I don't know if the problems they had were associated with the build in general or the card specifically. I'm planning on getting the EVGA SSC ACX 2.0+ 970, and I am running 10.10.4 using clover as my bootloader.

Hello Friend . I have read your article. and I can help you as follows.

GTX 970 is support by Nvidia Web Driver

you can boot into the Hackintosh and install nvidia web driver from thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301416-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-yosemite/

and boot with boot argument = nvda_drv=1 but but before you install nvidia web driver you need to use http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/384-nvidia-web-driver-modder/

if your SMBIOS is IMAC. MacPro SMBIOS even if you do not need . 
if something does not understand you can ask here :)

Thank you for your help. I understand what you are saying, and I do think my SMBIOS is iMac. How do I go about changing it, and are there any kexts that I will need to remove?

Edit: Nevermind—downloaded the web-driver and poked around in the Distribution file to alter the hardware check routine. Installed, crossed my fingers, and rebooted. System boots fine using the driver with my 660ti so I assume it will support the 970 when I swap it tomorrow. I will check back in if I have any trouble though.

Thanks again!