Upgrading Windows 7 to 10 with Yosemite on the same drive

BrianH

8 posts in this topic

I am running a dualboot system and want to upgrade my windows 7 installation to windows 10. I already read online that this should work fine if you unplug your OSX drive, problem is, I have both systems installed on the same drive, so I obviously can't do that. Is anyone here also running a dualboot on the same drive and tried upgrading to Windows 10? How did it go?

Hi,

Upgraded the Acer from 8.1 to 10 today. 

Windows and Yosemite are installed on the same drive, and after upgrading Clover showed up first. 

No boot order was changed in the bios, when i first installed Windows, a new entry was added: Windows Boot Manager, and it was set as first boot. Back then i had to change back the boot order to boot from the HDD instead of the Windows Boot Manager, to regain access to OSX.

This was not the case now, the old installation was moved to Windows.old, user settings have been restored to the new installation, and everything works like it did before. 

If after an upgrade, you do not see the OSX bootloader, be sure to check the bios boot order. 

I forgot to mention that I currently have Chimera installed. I used clover some months ago, but had a lot of trouble with it due to the dualboot so I changed to Chimera again. I hope it won't make too much of a difference, but I guess I could create a clover boot stick in case something goes wrong.