Stuck on Yosemite 10.10 install

74 posts in this topic

I am very glad to hear that you have successfully installed a working Yosemite. I really love the versatility of the Z97X motherboard and I must try the tip about matching the default volume name. I made Fusion drives out of one HDD and one SSD and the OS starts up but not very fast.

Another tip about using the Thunderbolt ports. I have seen people also say that you need to boot up windows once to actually get those ports to work under MacOS X. I don't have a copy of windows so I haven't tried that yet.

• Like 1

I have heard that too.  Is it too late to add a version of Windows 8 or 10 into the mix?  Could I just buy another hd for that and keep them separate?  I don't know much about partitioning and dual systems but I just don't want to have to reload the OS side now that I finally got it working great.  If there is a way to just add a partition or add a new drive I would be down to try that out.  

On another note, I did find one more small thing to troubleshoot- I need a patch for my bluetooth adapter to get it working.  That is the only thing not working besides the thunderbolt.  I have the ASUS Bluetooth 4.0 USB BT400 adapter and I believe it needs some sort of patch to the iobluetoothfamily.kext?  

Anyways, I haven't been able to find that in the insanelymac downloads section.  Perhaps you could point me in the right direction?

Excellent, bluetooth is now fixed!!!   Ok that sounds good actually- I will look into a 2nd SSD option and Windows 10 in the near future, it would be great to have both systems anyway.  In the meantime I'll keep poking around to see if there is anything else I can try to get the Thunderbolt port working.  

In a follow up I was finally able to get Thunderbolt to work.  No windows system or drivers are needed, you just need to go into the setup and under the Peripherals> Thunderbolt> options switch the Thunderbolt security level to Legacy mode.  You also have to have the Thunderbolt drive plugged in before bootup, as that is the only way it will recognize the drive.   I also disabled the wake from Thunderbolt devices option.  Perhaps this talk of installing windows and the windows drivers on a dual boot system would also make them hot-swappable, but accessing the TB ports this way is totally fine with me.  This was the last component I needed to get working, so as of now everything in my system is fully functioning!   :D

post-1553343-0-38138500-1440826767_thumb.jpg

post-1553343-0-82728200-1440826782_thumb.jpg

I emailed him at the main page info@rampagedev last week but haven't heard back yet.  I should probably try to email him again at his individual email.

I noticed the About this Mac displays some things incorrectly.  For instance, my ram is 1600 mhz ddr3 but it has it listed as 1333mhz.  My motherboard does correctly recognize it as 1600 mhz though.  I also noticed spec-wise that clover assigned my build to a (14, 2) late 2013 model identifier as opposed to a (15, 1) model which is probably what it is really closer to.  Does any of that matter or is the about this mac just cosmetic anyways?  I've already signed into this Mac with iTunes and the app store, so not sure if it would be a good idea to switch anything around at this point if that stuff is just cosmetic.  

Ok, I'll give him some time.  No rush since I got them working at least.  So it's possible to do and you'd recommend switching to the (15,1) config?  How would I get that switched?  Clover didn't let me choose the profile, it just auto-assigned it.   Is this something that can be altered in the config playlist script instead of reinstalling everything?

And just to confirm, I would do the ram change by adding the line, "<key>XMPDetection</key>

<true/>" to my config playlist?

Ok darn I wouldn't know how to modify the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy to do that so perhaps I should just leave this one alone.  I just thought cosmetically it would look better displayed as a (15, 1).   Not really a big deal though.  Mainly, I wanted my components listed correctly which they are now due to the fix you provided so if it might be a bit of trouble then I'm fine with leaving the (14, 2) config.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just tried my first update to 10.10.5.  I survived it although I had to reinstall the realtek audio driver as well as the nvidia web driver and now all is working ok.  However, now my computer takes a very long time starting up and powering off.  I deleted the Thunderbolt kexts but slow bootup times still persist.  Any ideas what this new problem from the update could be?

Here is what came up.

Since you're still on Yosemite, remove BrcmBluetoothInjector, it won't do anything useful (BrcmPatchRAM works fine). You need to fix the permissions of BrcmPatchRAM as well, which you can do like this:

$ sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions/BrcmPatchRAM.kext
$ sudo chown -R 0:0 /Library/Extensions/BrcmPatchRAM.kext
  • Like 1

Ok thanks.  I threw out the bluetooth injector file.  Hmmm...  The first command I enter prompts me to type in my password but then nothing else in terminal happens after that.  The second one I don't think did anything (at least didn't show anything happened in terminal), it just went to a fresh command line.  Startup is still slow, so I'm not sure if the patch took effect.

• 2 months later...

If I need to troubleshoot a slow startup on this computer and I've already programmed the key default volume to boot up to the SSD, is there any way I can still look at my startup in verbose mode as a way to troubleshoot what is causing the slow startup?

Ever since I updated to 10.10.5 it takes about a minute to startup as opposed to when I first set it up on 10.10.4 it only took about 30 seconds.  Computer is running great however and I have a lot of programs installed already, so I would prefer to fix the issue as opposed to restripe my SSD with 10.10.4  and start all over again.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

• 7 months later...

Here are some pics of my final build.  Sorry it took so long to post these.  Thanks to all who helped troubleshoot the process!!

Fractal Design R4 Case

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH LGA 1150 Z97 Dual Thunderbolt 2 ATX Motherboard (Bios Version F4)

Intel i7 4.4 4790K Quadcore Processor

Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 UDIMM RAM 

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC ACX 2.0+ 

Corsair AX760 Professional Series Power Supply

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter

System HD:  OWC Extreme Pro SSD 240GB

Storage HD:  Hitachi Deskstar 4TB 7200RPM

Monitor: Philips BDM4065UC 40" Class 4K Monitor UHD 3840 x2160

The Alesis audio monitors and Avid Fast Track Duo box I already had from my prior system.

The Fractal R4 is a huge case, but eventually I am going to install a RAID with the extra HD bays. 

post-1553343-0-53988700-1468301147_thumb.jpg

post-1553343-0-10950800-1468301151_thumb.jpg

post-1553343-0-74582600-1468301153_thumb.jpg

post-1553343-0-20769400-1468301158_thumb.jpg

post-1553343-0-95235000-1468301163_thumb.jpg