Stuck on Yosemite 10.10 install

74 posts in this topic

Ok I was able to get into verbose mode.  Not sure what the very last error that came up was, it flashes away pretty fast, but the last one I recall seeing a couple of times was an HDAdriver?

Here is a screenshot but it will but slightly cut off cuz I am booting on an hdtv so the sides are cut off a bit.

Have any idea what this means?

post-1553343-0-33581100-1439352713_thumb.png

Hang on--- Not in the clear just yet!!!  Got through the Mac OS X screen, formatted my disk using erase to OS Extended (journaled), and then installed osX on it (or did I have to do it specifically as 1 partition?).  It completed the install, restarted on its own to the clover screen once again.  then it booted up from the usb again went to the black apple screen and progress bar and restarted again.   But now it doesn't boot up back to the USB installer or the newly striped OSX.  

Why is the computer no longer seeing my EFI partition and USB stick?  Where do I go from here? 

INSTALL UPDATE:  

I am almost there!  Special thanks to MacOS9Hack for the detailed guide, and Racermaster and everyone else on this thread for the troubleshooting.  I was able to get OS X installed to my SSD drive!  

I also was able to download the latest NVIDIA mac driver for my GTX 960 card.  The only problem is there is something I am missing in the POST install process to make my mac fully functional.  Currently, the only way I can startup my computer is via the USB flash drive installer, and booting osx from the SSD from there with the boot arg "nv disable=1."  It seems my bios already has mac os x set up as the priority bootup, but it doesn't boot up correctly.  When I turn on the computer without the USB drive, I get the startup error "Please insert a boot device and press any key."  How do I correct this last little problem so that my mac boots up every time to the SSD like a normal mac?

Install notes:

-Internal audio not working yet (this may be because I have not did the audio patch on step 4 of the haswell guide).

-Thunderbolt ports are not being recognized (I can troubleshoot this later if need be, but I would like to get them working eventually)

-All USB 3.0 ports, 2.0 ports, Firewire 800, SD card reader, Blu-ray writer and wireless card are all recognized and working no problem.

-Apple DVD player doesn't seem to be patched to DVD drive.

Questions:

Can I log this computer into my Apple ID?

Is there a program I can buy and load that would allow me to play Blu-ray movies on my blu-ray player?

What is the protocol (if any) for using the app store and how do install an OS update if I ever need to do that?

Sorry for all the questions, but any of these answers will be of great help :)

For audio, follow RampageDev's guide. You might want to email RampageDev about Thunderbolt, he might know more (I don't have any experience with it). You can log in to the computer with your Apple ID and you shouldn't have any issues. If you followed everything correctly, updates should be fairly painless (once the new NVIDIA web drivers come out!), and the worst thing possible is that you may lose audio and will have to reinstall the kext.

• Like 1

Ok great, thanks for the info.  I will try to fix the bootup problem before I embark on any further updates.  

Do you have any idea what the bootup problem I'm having might be?  Why does my computer not boot up the SSD with OS X on it automatically when pressing the power button?

Still haven't been able to resolve this bootup issue?  Is there a post install step i am missing?  Do I need to install clover onto my SSD once Yosemite is installed?  What is the missing link to get this computer to get this to boot on its own without the use of the USB installer drive?

Ok success!  Was able to get Yosemite installed.  :D

I have two more small questions though.  1)  Now when I press the power button it goes to a clover mac screen first where i select boot to os x from ssd or boot from recovery hd.  Will it always be like that or how do i get it to just boot directly to the mac apple instead of going to that screen first?

2) Boot up time is really slow.  It takes about a minute and I have a ssd.  What do you think is causing the slow boot time and how can I correct that so that it is as fast as a normal mac with an ssd?  Otherwise the system is working great so far!

Hey everyone I'm almost there but still a bit stuck...  I have Yosemite installed and working from my SSD but how can I troubleshoot what is going on with my slow bootup start time? 

What would cause the startup to take about a minute on the Apple screen as opposed to having a superfast startup from the SSD?

Also, is there a setting in Clover installer or somewhere that installs it so that the computer boots up directly to the Apple screen as opposed to going to the Clover startup screen and having to hit enter first?

Thanks!  I have a fast startup SSD now.  Rampage Dev mentioned on his site that he got one of his thunderbolt ports to work via switching to legacy mode.  I tried that in the bios for mine but it still did not help my thunderbolt hd to be recognized.  he also mentioned that  with thunderbolt enabled the bootup time would be around 1-2 minutes and that he was working on something for that.  

So at least for now I'll leave TB alone and opt for the superfast bootup.

Attached is my config. plist.  

If the default volume bootup is a matter of writing in code to the plist that might be over my head.  If I post my config here, is this a change you could alter on my plist and just post it back to me?

Nevermind I guess I am not allowed to upload a plist here.  Here's what mine looks like:

post-1553343-0-99982700-1440294650_thumb.png

Yes, you must boot into the loaded volume with the Clover selection using the USB. There you need to open the EFI partition of the SSD and load the same Clover boot loader there as you did onto the USB. That will make it bootable.

You will need to boot up to the Clover boot loader screen and then select the boot volume to startup the disk once it has been installed to the EFI partition. This is how I normally get into either Mavericks or Yosemite. There is a way out there to force Clover to boot one volume after you start up the computer but it requires much Terminal knowledge. I would reserve that until you get other things resolved first.

• Like 1

Change DefaultVolume from MacHDD to whatever your OS X volume's name is. Also make sure that you add the Fast key (like this) to the Boot section. Here's an example of what this might look like:

<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>Macintosh HD</string>
		<key>Fast</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
  • Like 1

Ok sounds good MacO9hack!  Thanks for the guide, I've referenced it many times in this process.  That was how I did want it to work, but you're probably right that I should double check that everything else works before doing that.  I just wanted to make sure that I installed it correctly and not slightly off.  Yosemite is now loading from the SSD and not the USB- it just goes to the clover screen first and then I select enter mac os x on ssd from there. so it seems like everything is working correctly now except for the Thunderbolt ports which for now is totally ok with me.

Thanks Racermaster!  My drive that is the mac startup disk is named SSD, so I will replace the Macintosh HD with that line and give it a try!!!

Awesome tip, I inserted that into the config playlist and it worked on the very next startup!   My new mac is now up and running like a monster!!! (I mean that in a good way, as in unbelievably fast haha!)

Thanks to everyone who helped me on this build!

I will post some pics once I get everything properly setup onto my desk.  :D