Edges cut off on external monitor (Kalyway 10.5.2 on ASUS M6800n w/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9600)

PsychoKoopa

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. (I'm a noob when it comes to things like this)

I'm a bit new when it comes to Hackintosh, but I'm really stumped about this.

I recently got Kalyway 10.5.2 to run on my old Asus M6800n notebook as that was the only version of Leopard I could get working.

The setup didn't include the right kexts for my graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon 9600) so I left them uncheck. Rest of the setup went fine, just had to install some missing Network and Sound kexts.

When that was all done I edited the com.Boot.Apple.plist so that it wouldn't be stuck in 1024x768, which worked. But now I'm having this problem. The screen that is actuall on the notebook shows everything fine. However, the external Acer VGA monitor I have hooked up to the notebook has it's edges cut off. You can see these in the pictures attached. 

2zdnhog.jpg

This is the screen of the Asus M6800n. As you can see every thing is on screen.

i4iiav.jpg

This is the Acer VGA Monitor. As you can see the top and sides are cut off and not visible.

I've looked through many forum posts, done tons of searches and all of the methods I found don't seem to work. One that involves modifying a Callisto kext seemed like it might work, and I would have tried it but it seems that the Callisto website is dead.

I'd really like to use this monitor as the hinges on the notebook screen are partially broken.

So, in short the apple menu bar and sides of the screen are being cut off on my external monitor but not my notebook's screen.

If anyone knows why this is happening or what I can do to fix it please let me know.

Thanks

Have you tried the physical menu options on the monitor?  Does 10.5 have detect monitor?

just a guess.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've tried all of the menu options on the monitor, like position, clock, and phase, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've looked for the detect diplays button but it's not there, even if I press Option like you can do on other versions of OS X.

I haven't used 10.5 in a while, so some of my ideas are no good:

If you qui the finder, will that resize anything?

Can you shrink the desktop on yer laptop to make it fit on the external monitor?

does external monitor show up under system profile?

I haven't used 10.5 in a while, so some of my ideas are no good:

If you qui the finder, will that resize anything?

Can you shrink the desktop on yer laptop to make it fit on the external monitor?

does external monitor show up under system profile?

I'm not sure what you mean by "qui" the finder (I'm definitely a noob). Also, my external monitor doesn't show up in System Profiler.

I'm not sure what you mean by "qui" the finder (I'm definitely a noob). Also, my external monitor doesn't show up in System Profiler.

Well I feel like an idiot for not realizing that you meant quit the finder. Yes, I have and it didn't work. I also tried killall Finder in Terminal, which didn't work either.

• 4 weeks later...

So, was this ever solved?

These are ancient hardware and ancient OSX. Not sure if anybody works on it.

As far as I remember you should exclude ...GA.bundle and replace binary from 9000GL by X1000GL.

I am not sure if this this that Callisto that you was searching

Callisto Fixed.zip

Anyway if you try to apply Clover here then you have a chance to obtain new results.