Triple booting problem for linux

15 posts in this topic

Hello 

I recently bought an additional SSD and installed Fedora on to it. I have also since updated Clover to v2.3k_r3241.

Linux does appear on the Clover menu however when I start it all I get is a white rectangle on the screen and nothing loads.

What needs to be done in order to be able to boot Linux from Clover ? 

The bios is EFI (old Supermicro board as shown in signiture)

Yes its a very good guide wish I knew which bit applied to what I am trying to do. My system is EFI not UEFI. My real only take away from reading it is trying to put grubx64.efi in to the clover path to be something like:

\EFI\Fedora\grubx64.efi

As shown on post #10

How's this done though ? Where do I get grubx64.efi ? 

The important detail is to install GRUB legacy in the Linux partition and not in MBR (for example, select /dev/sda5 and never /dev/sda).

The file grubx64.efi (automatically) is installed in EFI/"distro name" in the EFI partition.

Credits: oldnapalm

When you say grubx64.efi is installed automatically do u mean once the Clover installer is run again after installing Fedora ? Or during the installation of Fedora ?

My disks look like this:

(parted) print devices                                                    
/dev/sda (128GB)
/dev/sdb (128GB)
/dev/sdc (750GB)
/dev/sdd (120GB)
/dev/sde (250GB) <<< Target install disk for Fedora
/dev/sdf (64.0GB)
/dev/sdh (7961MB)

Where /dev/sda is Yosemite:

(parted) select /dev/sda
Using /dev/sda
(parted) print                                                            
Model: ATA Samsung SSD 840 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 128GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End    Size   File system  Name                  Flags
 1      20.5kB  210MB  210MB  fat32        EFI System Partition  boot, esp
 2      210MB   127GB  127GB  hfs+         Macintosh HD
 3      127GB   128GB  650MB  hfs+         Recovery HD

During the Fedora installation setup I can select /dev/sde as target and skip boot loader installation but is this the right thing to do ? Do I then need to some how install Grub manually to /dev/sde1 - is this what you mean ?

So if I run the install as described above I can still boot to Yosemite but no Linux option is present.

After reboot I checked /dev/sde1 and this had \EFI\fedora\grubx64.efi 

I then added this into the Clover config:

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-24%20at%2023.07.

No change in options though.

When you say grubx64.efi is installed automatically do u mean once the Clover installer is run again after installing Fedora ? Or during the installation of Fedora ?

During the Fedora installation setup I can select /dev/sde as target and skip boot loader installation but is this the right thing to do ? Do I then need to some how install Grub manually to /dev/sde1 - is this what you mean ?

Make sure that VBoxExt4-64.efi is installed in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 &/or /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI when you are installing Clover.

Grubx64.efi will be installed into the EFI during installation of Linux in UEFI mode: see post#29 and this guide (EFI=sda1 in your case).

After installation of VBoxExt4-64.efi, Clover should be able to directly boot into Linux via the kernel-stub (even without grubx64.efi) ---> "Boot vmlinuz from xxxx (Ext 4 / partition name)" in the Clover Main Menu.

• Like 1

Thanks - I guess that kind of got me forward... if I go to the Clover command line I can now see and mount the linux partition by running "fs7:" - I can then manually run the grubx64.efi and get to a nasty impossible to use grub menu.... 

so i guess there's the ability to configure clover's config.plist to directly run grubx64.efi ....

I managed to build a custom Gui in Clover which works to boot my existing Windows partition but still fails to find the Linux partition.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-25%20at%2014.23.

How do I make proper refererence to the Linux partition when disktutil doesn't provide a UUID ?

MIRA:~ root# diskutil info /dev/disk2

Device Identifier:        disk2

Device Node:              /dev/disk2

Part of Whole:            disk2

Device / Media Name:      Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB Media

Volume Name:              Not applicable (no file system)

Mounted:                  Not applicable (no file system)

File System:              None

Content (IOContent):      FDisk_partition_scheme

OS Can Be Installed:      No

Media Type:               Generic

Protocol:                 SATA

SMART Status:             Verified

Total Size:               250.1 GB (250059350016 Bytes) (exactly 488397168 512-Byte-Units)

Volume Free Space:        Not applicable (no file system)

Device Block Size:        512 Bytes

Read-Only Media:          No

Read-Only Volume:         Not applicable (no file system)

Ejectable:                No

Whole:                    Yes

Internal:                 Yes

Solid State:              Yes

OS 9 Drivers:             No

Low Level Format:         Not supported

MIRA:~ root# diskutil info /dev/disk2s1

Device Identifier:        disk2s1

Device Node:              /dev/disk2s1

Part of Whole:            disk2

Device / Media Name:      Untitled 1

Volume Name:              Not applicable (no file system)

Mounted:                  Not applicable (no file system)

File System:              None

Partition Type:           Linux

OS Can Be Installed:      No

Media Type:               Generic

Protocol:                 SATA

SMART Status:             Verified

Total Size:               524.3 MB (524288000 Bytes) (exactly 1024000 512-Byte-Units)

Volume Free Space:        Not applicable (no file system)

Device Block Size:        512 Bytes

Read-Only Media:          No

Read-Only Volume:         Not applicable (no file system)

Ejectable:                No

Whole:                    No

Internal:                 Yes

Solid State:              Yes

Any one able to give me some more help  ? pulling hair out here...

I copied grubx64.efi from /dev/sde1 to EFI on /dev/sda1 and I can see the Linux option on the Clover menu however nothing happens when running grubx64.efi  - meaning blank screen...

At this stage I am close the giving up on this ..... :(

Make sure that VBoxExt4-64.efi is installed in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 &/or /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI when you are installing Clover.

Grubx64.efi will be installed into the EFI during installation of Linux in UEFI mode: see post#29 and this guide (EFI=sda1 in your case).

After installation of VBoxExt4-64.efi, Clover should be able to directly boot into Linux via the kernel-stub (even without grubx64.efi) ---> "Boot vmlinuz from xxxx (Ext 4 / partition name)" in the Clover Main Menu.

Hi Fusion71au - decided to try and give Linux Mint a go since a lot of the guides have been written with this distro in mind.

I formatted the new internal disk as gpt and then partitioned according to post#29:

4. Follow this procedure to install Mint 17.  Note:
       a.  Format with GParted
                /          Ext4    10-20GB
               Home    Ext4    18-36GB
               Swap    swap    2-4GB
       b.  make sure to install the GRUB bootloader into the EFI parti

I pointed boot loader to install to /dev/sda1 however receive error :

Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda1
Executing £grub-install /dev/sda1 failed.
This is a fatal error.

I then choose continue without bootloader but this seems to be deviating from what your guide ?

t

hi !

i had no problem booting arch linux with clover. Every distro has it own thing. anyway.

think of linux as separate system i mean don't use osx efi partition. so linux disk should look like this:

GPT disk partition scheme

1part. EFI partition /dev/sde1 250mb vfat mount poing /boot/efi (gdisk TYPE EF00)

2part. boot (for kernel) /dev/sde2 100+mb ext2 mount point /boot 

3part. root /dev/sde3 mount point /

and so on.

installing grub on arch, but has to be similar: 

mount all partitions and chroot to new system. then i had to install some tools "Tool to modify UEFI Firmware Boot Manager Variables" what you need in mint or fedora i dont know. need to check docs ( installing mint or fedora on UEFI system onto gpt parition scheme)

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=grub --recheck

making config

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

clover will scan all disks but you could add custom entry

example:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clover

note:

had to boot install medium whit clover to install grub to efi.

arch INFO: An EFI System Partition (ESP) is needed on every disc you want to boot using EFI.

hope it helps.

• Like 1

I pointed boot loader to install to /dev/sda1 however receive error :

Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda1
Executing £grub-install /dev/sda1 failed.
This is a fatal error.

I then choose continue without bootloader but this seems to be deviating from what your guide ?

t

1.  Did you format the target disk for Linux as GPT with an EFI partition?  Try pointing the Linux Mint grub installer to that disk's EFI partition instead.

2.  Did you install VBoxExt4-64.efi in in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 & /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI?  I have attached the file to this post.

3.  Even without grubx64.efi, Clover should be able to directly boot the Linux Mint kernel.  For the sake of simplicity, remove all your custom entries from Clover's config.plist and let Clover autoscan for entries eg

<key>Scan</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Legacy</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>

---> "Boot vmlinuz from xxxx (Ext 4 / partition name)" in the Clover Main Menu...

post-846696-0-44258400-1426026569_thumb.

VBoxExt4-64.efi.zip

• Like 1

I am now happily writing this from my Linux installation. 

So I would like to thank "My parents, my trainer, God and all those out there that supported me through my really tough times and many thanks duffs & fusion71au I would not be standing here with you"

Not but seriously... the solution lay somewhere between duffs last post which enabled me to do a more tidy mint install and fusion71au's which sorted Clover out. I then finally also needed to change from using Clover-EFI 64 bits SATA to BiosBlockIO.

• Like 2