R9 380, can't boot directly, have to do it via Intel 4600, Ghost monitor.

pcpaul

146 posts in this topic

Tested developer preview 5, the same {censored}... on the bright side, while trying to get a DisplayEDIT, booted to Windows 10, haven't done it for about half a year.... so it was version 9926 or something like that, updated it straight to the latest, looks awesome, even wallpapers are looking good and guess what? 380 works oob just like in Yosemite.... lol... typing this from Windows 10, f*** El Capitan  :wink_anim: 

This only has 1 monitor hooked up

Ok, I went through the hassle, brought back my packed up old monitor, unpacked it, connected, booted to Yosemite with both monitors attached and as I've said, all ports ARE WORKING FLAWLESSLY on YOSEMITE,

IOReg attached below.

Tried new clover version 3251, it detects card as 285, that's ok, that's what it's actually, previous clover versions detected it either as a 7600m series or 4xxx something, nevertheless it doesn't wokr with this version of clover either, the same thing like before.

On the bright side, I've set up a Flash on Chromium on Windows 10, because it doesn't come with it by default, and I installed chromium, because chrome update broke my workflow, I have many, many tabs, so before opening chrome I'm used to disabling internet and that way once chrome is loaded I would open tabs I wanted, after some update it went nuts, so when I re-enable internet it loads all f***ing tabs on it's own..... That's why chromium, Install flash version you want, update when you want.

I'm making my home at Windows 10, thanks El Crapitan  :wub:

BTW, Edge browser is awesome as a "scratch" browser and since they intended it that way, 10 out of 10 for Microsoft, browser is just awesome, plus it has bright and dark modes, just like Yosemite or El Crapitan lol  

Here's IOReg:

Yosemite_IOReg_allportsworking.zip

@pcpaul

380 works OOB in Yosemite under Clover?

Can you post the model?

I´m getting confuse with the red text ¨Not work¨

Thx

Should work fine in Yosemite provided you are using the correct framebuffer. El Capitan is still in DP phase, so obviously there are going to be bugs (such as the AMD drivers being buggy).

@pcpaul

380 works OOB in Yosemite under Clover?

Can you post the model?

I´m getting confuse with the red text ¨Not work¨

Thx

R9 380 GAMING 4G http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9-380-GAMING-4G.html#hero-overview

Yes, Works out of the box on Yosemite/Clover also should work with chameleon too, under clover no injections are needed at all, works even without ATIInjection. Plug it in and boot, OOB, all ports, all monitors, hence I'm so much frustrated with El Crapitan and consider all those framebuffers as outdated unnecessary bull****, because none are needed under Yosemite with this card, default AMDFramebuffer gives all ports, everything, card is properly detected. 

On windows works too lol, thanks to El Capitan I'm using windows 10 daily now, having not booted to it at all for half a year or so.... though it's still not default in BIOS, have to choose manually with every boot, so El Crapitan still has chances...

Hmm, strange. RadeonFramebuffer's autodetection is working fine for me here (with a binpatch to fix the name).

Is AMD set as primary graphics in BIOS? 

Because for me it works only when Intel is set as a primary, with AMD as a primary I can't get to login screen.

I use only one monitor, so Intel as a primary is not an option, because I've to reconnect monitor to AMD after booting with Intel, if want to use AMD.

Yes, my 280X is set as my primary GPU. I do have the IGPU enabled, but it's for AirPlay mirroring (using an ig-platform-id with 0 connectors so no display output) and my monitor is connected to the 280X. I was previously using a patched Futomaki framebuffer but I'm now using the default RadeonFramebuffer with a binpatch to fix the name (AMD Radeon 7xxx -> AMD Radeon R9 280X, Clover/DSDT injection of name doesn't work, probably hardcoded value when using default FB).

Yes, my 280X is set as my primary GPU. I do have the IGPU enabled, but it's for AirPlay mirroring (using an ig-platform-id with 0 connectors so no display output) and my monitor is connected to the 280X. I was previously using a patched Futomaki framebuffer but I'm now using the default RadeonFramebuffer with a binpatch to fix the name (AMD Radeon 7xxx -> AMD Radeon R9 280X, Clover/DSDT injection of name doesn't work, probably hardcoded value when using default FB).

Oops, you are reading it wrong. OP has the 380, not 280

Was it working without a binpatched name with RadeonFramebuffer or is it just aesthetics?

Mine is detected as AMD R9 xxx, device ID 6939, device id is correct and is in kexts, hence it uses tonga under OSX, on Yosemite I don't need injection, so I guess I don't need to mess with a name on El Capitan? because a device id is in kexts already.

Oops, you are reading it wrong. OP has the 380, not 280

I understand that, I'm just saying that RadeonFramebuffer seems to not be bugged (but this might not be the case for AMD8000Controller, which the 380 uses since it's a rebranded R9 285 which is Tonga; 280X is rebranded 7970 which is Tahiti). 

Was it working without a binpatched name with RadeonFramebuffer or is it just aesthetics?

Just aesthetics, it was working fine without the binpatch (only difference was the model string was AMD Radeon 7xxx instead of the correct value).

I installed this card without problem and can confirm this card is OOB. In past I never had OOB graphics card. Latest chimera without any injection. Now we need support in ATI sensor for GPU temp :) This card is pretty good in windows too, but a little hot in idle (ambient 35C -- idle 45C -- gaming 68C). I don,t mind with that, but want too see graph temp, just for case. 

post-1080457-0-53110300-1439391385_thumb.jpg

post-1080457-0-04051300-1439391394_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got ASUS Radeon R9 380 STRIX here:

working OOB under YOSEMITE with all Connectors working (full Quartz/CE).

NOT working under EL CAPITAN DP7 (loading Verbose Mode until it comes to the AMD Driver, than black screens and nothing...)

but hey wait: if you delete "AMDRadeonX4000.kext" from S/L/E and reboot, all Monitors work flawlessly again, but w/o Quartz/CE. Even HDMI-Audio works.

Got DP and HDMI connected here while i am writing this running EL CAPITAN DP7.

So it seems, that "AMDRadeonX4000.kext" from DP seems to be different to the one from Yosemite. Also tried to load "AMDRadeonX4000.kext" from YOSEMITE, but didn't work.

Also i can see that "IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext" loads under YOSEMITE when "AMDRadeonX4000.kext" is loaded, but not under EL CAPITAN, when "AMDRadeonX4000.kext" is removed from S/L/E.

Hope this get fixed in a forthcomming DP or final Release, cause it sucks...

Regards

• Like 1

Great to see I'm not alone, haha

Tried all that, got exactly the same thing like you described.

I hope apple "disabled" it temporary, because it's not a part of any mac, so disabling while in beta would save apple developers form a headache, but as I've mentioned it works fully if I boot through Intel 4600, but reconnecting it after every boot, restart is not something I fancy, nor I want to have two cards running, because energy is wasted....

Also maybe because of new "metal" features it won't work ever........... sad sh**, because after all the Windows 10 fanfare I'm back on Yosemite, it's just feels like home.

Another "option" is to hope for guys buying more expensive ATI R9 cards to have the same issues like us, then we will see a fix right away lol....... funny but actually true.

Hmm, all of this problems make me believe that fix is related with boot loader :) That is why I'm asking you if you can try chameleon on some usb stick and see if it work or not. Unfortunately I do not have enough space for the new partition, and I'm not able to test El Capitan.  But Yosemite 10.10.5 work nice without any injection on MBR partition with chimera boot loader.

Hmm, all of this problems make me believe that fix is related with boot loader :) That is why I'm asking you if you can try chameleon on some usb stick and see if it work or not. 

I've tried it before, it didn't work, but nonetheless I tried today again with Chameleon enoch 2758 and still the same thing, I installed it in ESP, so it's strictly something wrong with kexts.