Why does my Clover USB boot stick work?

13 posts in this topic

First allow me to explain what I'm doing and why. My hack is currently running Yosemite 10.4 with no problems or performance comprises whatever, currently booting using Chimera 4.1

Hardware details:

MB: GA-B75M-HD3

CPU: Xeon e3-1230v2

Video: GTX640

RAM: 16GB

Audio: USB C-Media audio device

Boot Drive: ST1000DX001-1CM162 Media (hybrid)

I'm trying to migrate from Chimera to Clover in anticipation of the El Capitan production release this fall. To give me a handle on Clover I decided to "test drive" by making a Clover boot stick. It works, I can boot from my Clover USB. Everything works, including sleep.

My Clover v2.3k r.3241 installation:

Custom%20Pane%201%20USB_zpsw2blkvgv.png

Custom%20Pane%202%20USB_zps7h73qi0i.png

config.plist from Xcode:

config.plist%20USB_zpsi5wpuewb.png

kext folder contents: FakeSMC, GenericUSBXHCI, RealtekRTL8111

patch: DSDT.aml borrowed from member fusion71au

theme: ios7

As I have stated, the above configuration works 100%

Next I installed Clover on my boot volume. The customization is necessarily slightly different:

Custom%20Pane%201_zpskqsbapbj.png

Custom%20Pane%202_zpsxvb5vjyr.png

config.plist from Xcode:

config.plist_zpsu1cueyt1.png

kext folder contents: FakeSMC, GenericUSBXHCI, RealtekRTL8111

patch: DSDT.aml borrowed from member fusion71au

theme: ios7

THIS DOESN'T WORK. Clover launches without a panic, displays the Apple Logo with the progress bar moving, then the display goes black, then powers down. OS X is running, but without any display graphics at all. I tried injecting Nvidia, I even tried injecting Intel (!!)

I'm stymied. Why does my boot stick work and the same, or nearly the same, configuration fail on my boot HDD?  

(BTW, I put this thread here because I'm not allowed to create a thread in the Clover forum.)

Intel HD graphics aren't available on my build (Xeon CPU) therefore the option to disable in BIOS is grayed out. 

There first time I tried this I chose "inject Nvidia YES" and got a black screen. The only inject option that's works is NO, but only if I boot from the UBS boot stick.

I reread your first post.

Given that you can boot from USB with clover, but before you were using a more hd.
There is a possibility that it is also the end of the drive, or that in any way interfere with the proper use of clover?
I do not know the slightest chimera, I do not like.
  • Like 1

Using another mans dsdt is very bad idea, you should endevour to patch your own.

hello, I very much agree about what you say... :yes:
Never use DSDT others ...
Even with the same motherboard, it is important bios version, etc ...

However like you, I always recommend to patch their own.

I did use another's dsdt, but only on the USB boot stick. When booting using Chameleon I've never used one, and I've had full use of OS X.

I've extracted and compiled my own DSDT now. Using it makes no difference. My Clover UBB boot stick will start my computer flawlessly, but when I run Clover from the EFI partition of my hard drive the display goes black and then into standby mode.