How to patch ATIRadeonX2000.kext?

naquaada

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm searching a way to get my Radeon HD2600XT to work in Mavericks 10.9.5. I have a Dual-Boot-System with Mavericks and Leopard, there the card runs fantastic, the driver allows up to 2560x1600 on a Full-HD monitor, although it allows only 1920x1080. In Mavericks all drivers are loaded, but I have to disable ATIRadeonX2000.kext, although the system crashes. If it is disabled, I have full resolution, monitor mode selection, even HiDPI mode. But no QE/CI/OpenGL.

As I remember, since 10.6 the HD2600 series wasn't supported very well in OSx86 machines. Too old or why? Ok, it doesn't support OpenCL, but even in Yosemite is still a ATIRadeonX2000.kext available. Has anyone tested a real original MacPro3,1 from 2008 with Mavericks? This system is very close to mine; both have an Intel Xeon E5xxx Quadcore and a Radeon HD2600 series card. There are some 'Exotic Patches' for ATI 48xx series cards, even for Mavericks. They are also containing a patched ATIRadeonX2000.kext. But it's not working on my system.

So, is it possible to patch the ATIRadeonX2000 binary for my card ID (0x9588) or what else could be done? I know how to use a hex editor, perhaps this will help.

Greets, naquaada.

but even in Yosemite is still a ATIRadeonX2000.kext available.

yes but for graphics cards who still are compatible with recent OS X versions, as HD4850 for example.

your HD2600 may seem not work with recent OS X versions... they do not support 32bit and your graphics card only work in a 32bit system (if I'm not wrong).

But if the cards won't work in 64bit, why there is always a 64bit ATIRadeonX2000.kext from Apple available? And there are also ATI2600Controller.kext or AMD2600Controller.kext files available, even in Yosemite.

• Like 1

it's why I said "if I'm not wrong"

and obviously I was...

your device-id (0x95881002) is already present in both kexts (AMD2600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext) so your HD2600XT does not need any patching... it should work OOB

which bootloader you're using to boot in your Maverick's install? 

I'm using Chameleon. All kexts are in /S/L/E, because Leopard doesn't like newer kexts when they are located in /E/E. Of course I tried GraphicsEnabler Yes/No, no result. I also have a 64bit ATY_Init, is it started, detects my card, but then it quits.

Like I said, all graphics kexts are loaded, even AMD2600Controller.kext. Only ATIRadeonX2000.kext is the problem, I think that's where the framebuffers are located. The HD2600XT has RV630, that should be Lamna. Interesting is: In Natit.kext for Leopard is used Megalodon as framebuffer, so it allows the 'overclocking' of the monitors. If this the framebuffer is set back to Lamna, this won't work anymore.

So as an example: Here are three Full-HD-Cinema movies (1920 width) played via network on an LG Full-HD-3D-TV (1920x1080) with 2560x1440 resolution. And it even allows 2560x1600 in 4:3 mode. The driver allows various formats (4:3, 5:4, 16:9, 16:10) on a display, with correct aspect ratio. My 20" HP L2035 4:3 monitor allows 2048x1536 as maximum instead of the native 1600x1200. But 1920x1080 - Full-HD - is also available. So there ARE reasons to get a ATI Radeon HD2600XT working. I think even Windows shows these high resolution modes, but I haven't tested it.

And if anyone is wondering - yes, my Leopard is black but it's still OS X, there is/was a 'Black Panther OS' existing. It's patched with the 'Magnifique' tool from PCWiz, a long time ago that this was created. The black Dock with the red lights is made by Docker, I found some cool semi-transparent black glass icons, which I modded a bit. The stack icons are also modded. The menu in the bar is 'Butler', a great file launcher with many options, I can't live without it anymore. Version 4.1.6 is the last freeware version, it still works on Yosemite. The green dot in the menu bar is DiskSpy, a little prog that indicates the disk activity: Green is read, Red is write, Red/green is both. But it's possible to create own graphics, they're just small PNG's in the Contents/Resouces folder. On the left you could see one half of the list of available graphic resolutions from the monitor prefences pane.

• Like 1