HP Z400/Z600/Z800 Workstations OS X 10.10.x/10.11.x Installation

chatdeau

1,131 posts in this topic

Hi Rockey12!

My favourite OS X system was Snow Leopard, but what was its advantage (it was fast and stable) doesn't work with the new hardwares.

As for the hack, I didn't enjoy it for long. The steps I took to install - maybe you can tell me what I did wrong:

1. I made an 10.14.6 USB installer, I installed it to a separate HDD, but I didn't make it bootable with Clover, the boot remained on the USB. I didn't format the whole HDD to APFS, the Mojave is in a Clover Container

2. I went to Software update, it instantly offered to update to Catalina and I did

3. After installation it restarted, and I booted from the Mojave USB installer. I shut the system a few times but I could always boot it from the USB

4. It seemed stable so I tried to make the HDD bootable with Clover. I got an error message "install failed".

5. I put in another HDD (the one I use for master, it has Mojave on it) and tried to make a Catalina boot with it with the same EFI I use on the master HDD and the installer USB.

6. Istallation was successful. Then I took out the master HDD and I tried to start Catalina. Apple logo appeared then appeared the access denied sigh (circle, a line accross it)

7. I put back the master HDD, and deleted all the Clover folders from Catalina HDD, but I can't boot it since then, the access denied symbol appears at once. That't why my joy didn't last too long...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rockey12 said:

i don,t really no what is wrong or where the fault is but i did the same way the only thing i did was MacPro6,1 SMBios that's all

i don't want to waste your time  if u want another try to create complete catalina usb installer 

I was surprised that it was working as iMac 14,2 SMBios. Is it very difficult to make a USB installer for Catalina? (I don't want to use up all the space here in this topic, so if you want, we could continue in private - if there is a PM option).

• Like 1

Thanks again, the sound works perfectly. One interesting thing: in line out mode the internal speaker works, and vice-versa.

With the DSDT.aml You created the mouse and the keyboard don't work, although I made the USB.kext and SSDT with Hackintool (although I copied them into Clover/ACPI/Patched). Now only the DSDT.aml is in the Patched library I first sent you (which I found in this topic).

Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 9.50.54.png

Edited by hirion

Hi Rockey12,

This DSDT doesn't work, but I have to apologise, because the first DSDT you sent (which had the problem that the USB ports didn't work with it) actually is working. I tried to use it again, and probably what misled me was that out of the 6 rear USB ports the two in the middle line don't work, all the other USB ports are working correctly.

Thank you so much for your patience and help, and thanks to Macpeet for the audio for Catalina. You are the Best!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 7:42 PM, Rocky12 said:

Sorry jrv10 i forgot to mention, to tell you that we still need clover to boot the macOS the catalina patcher is design for unsupported mac but we can use it for downloading macOS app or creating USB installer

the attached app can help you to create usb drive

Install Disk Creator.zip

Hi Rockey, sorry for the late reply I have been away for a while. Thank you for your advice and the USB creation app. I will try 10.15 and report back.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rocky12 said:

if you can read the last 2 pages you will find the solution for your problem

tnks for your replay @Rocky12..

now Im at the point were i can boot and I can log-in, but my rx580 in not installed..

I used mojave patcher from desdude1 for make the usb and applyed the legacy patcher tu poperly bot..

have you same suggestion for the VGA?

On 1/30/2020 at 9:39 PM, Rocky12 said:

did you try with whatevergreen +lilu kext  or maybe you need some specific boot arguments in your config.plist

I maked some bios mistake, and I had start all from the beginning..but I dont know how the tool mojave patcher stopped to write in the efi folder and for this reason the usb do not boot at all..

and with clover I had alwais same result.. crash

IMG_.jpg

EFI_freek 2.zip

Edited by freek

58 minutes ago, Rocky12 said:

try this efi folder  use all those Patches when you create Mojave USB just use the Create Install media method

hp_z600_hackinto.zip

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Mojave:*

thanks for you reply..how can I use the patches folder you attached me?

how I have to do for properly install?

thks in advance

Hi Rocky12, Thanks for all the great help and support which has helped me considerably since El Capitan.  I have a Z800 Bios 3.91 2*X5690 Quadro 4000 which I have just rebuilt as Mojave with a very simple setup based on guidance from Sierra.  Have attached by Base EFI for anyone who has a Z800 3.91 Bios machine. 

This setup works but I wondered what would you recommend as the best combination of kexts for Mojave?

Thanks.

(Also have a Z820 2*E5-2670v2 Mojave using Lilo etc)

EFI worked with 3.91.zip

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 11:58 PM, Rocky12 said:

hi stefanza nice to see you again i have added some kexts to your EFI folder the kext which i marked with red colour you can remove them from EFI

for Audio now you can use AppleALC +Lilu kext Layout ID 28 is already Added to your Config.Plist 

i have add usbinjectall.kext but you need to read how to use

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All

For AppleALC you need vanilla AppleHDA kext in your system libary Extention  because it dosen,t work with patched AppleHDA kext 

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext you don,t need in your EFI folder when use clover Patch

EFI worked with 3.91.zip

Screenshot 2020-02-08 at 00.47.55.png

Thanks for all your efforts on this.  Works well.

• Like 1

I had a crack at Opencore on the Z400.  It's a nice toolchain and will be handy for future hackintosh platforms, but I haven't got to the graphic installer yet.  I did get a login screen for the existing Mojave install, but frozen.

One problem is that OC support starts at Ivy Bridge.  My impression is there's a fair chance it can be cajoled into working with Westmere though.

Back to Clover for the moment.

• Like 1

Hey Rocky12, unfortunately I'm sick at the moment.  I'd like to get back to the Z400 when I have the energy.  I'll post back here when that happens.  Clover's actually stuffed on it too now for whatever reason and inexplicably I don't have a good backup, so I'll have a nice puzzle on my hands when I get the time :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rocky12.  The plot thickens - I've been donated a Sandy Bridge imac in need of repair which outguns the Z400 in the studio, so if that's a goer I will probably cut the Z400 over to a BSD or Linux.

I've attached a screenshot of the files in EFI I was using to make the OC installer.  Also the config.plist.  The DSDT and SSDT are the ones Jaymack shared in this thread for the Z400.

With this setup the installer was booting in text mode and letting me choose my boot drive/partition, and seemed to work ok up to the point where the macos installer wanted to go graphical, then I got the No Smoking sign.  Tried a Quadro 600 or K600 I forget which, but it had been working before with Clover.  Also a Radeon 570, same result.  Then I got sick.

Hope this is some use!

Cheers

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 9.37.47 pm.png

config.plist

Hi,

I am trying to build a Clover config to boot and install Catalina to my z400 Workstation and I keep hitting the same bricks wall with it not finding the root partition after the kernel startup.

I'm a little stuck, as it doesn't find the USB installer or an installer on a SATA disk on the internal SATA ports either. The config of the system is:

HP z400

BIOS latest version

12GB DDR3 RAM at 1333MHz

Xeon L5640 (6-core, 12 thread, 2.27GHz, 60W)

NVIDIA GeForce 1060 6GB (EVGA)

- this card works with Catalina in my other Hackintosh albeit not ideally (I swapped it for my RX580 in the end and didn't pursue figuring that out).

I built a Catalina install SATA disk and installed Clover to it (didn't use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] as it doesn't work on SATA drives). It boots the z400 okay into Clover either on SATA or USB via a bridge.

No matter what I try I just get the 'still waiting for root device.' message and nothing starts.

I have prepped a Ubuntu USB stick if that is needed to grab DSDT and SSDT info (although I confess I'm not totally sure what these are for) and an lspci log.

Any help is appreciated!

Interesting. Especially the last one is almost exactly what I did, maybe I will clean up and redo my USB drive and try again.

One problem that I do see with using ‘Mojave’ instructions for Catalina is that Catalina refuses to install if I set the SMBIOS ID to MacPro 5,1 because that model is not supported in Catalina? Is there a fix to bypass that check?