AMD R9 290 Tri-X 10.10 performance issues/low fps?

krs360

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have everything working on my Hackintosh, I've installed the R9 290 Tri-X, it's picked up as the 8xxx series via injecting a FakeID.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-TRI-X-Graphics-Card-PCI-E/dp/B00HFA44YQ

I have one issue though and that is that the FPS is very poor - for example a team fight in League of Legends lags out the PC as the FPS drops massively. In cinebench I think the result was about 55 or so which put it on par with much, much slower cards.

Have I missed something with regard to hardware acceleration or something possibly?

Any help would be hugely appreciated as it's the final bugbear I'm facing.

Thanks.

Hi there

Is yours card fully recognized with 4096mb? Did you tried OpenGL viewer to check OpenGL performance ?

Not sure,but some people have issue to play games on the Yosemite or any other OSX as OSX never been designed for playing games in first place,have look on poor performance of the Final Fantasy which is badly optimized which can be the case of yours game 

I can try have look on that and do few tests in Cinebench or LuxMark and we will see what is performance against the Windows 

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

Is yours card fully recognized with 4096mb? Did you tried OpenGL viewer to check OpenGL performance ?

Not sure,but some people have issue to play games on the Yosemite or any other OSX as OSX never been designed for playing games in first place,have look on poor performance of the Final Fantasy which is badly optimized which can be the case of yours game 

I can try have look on that and do few tests in Cinebench or LuxMark and we will see what is performance against the Windows 

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Never compare performance between Windows and OS X, thats just silly

• Like 1

League of Legends has a native client.

My Heaven 4.0 bench was around 2096 points - medium settings, tessalation off, no aa, full screen 19020x1080.

The card is recognised as an 8xxxx 4096MB.

I'd not heard of opengl viewer but I can download it.

Could it be that there are missing sata drivers or something else? Just seems to be poor performance which is a shame.

League of Legends has a native client.

My Heaven 4.0 bench was around 2096 points - medium settings, tessalation off, no aa, full screen 19020x1080.

The card is recognised as an 8xxxx 4096MB.

I'd not heard of opengl viewer but I can download it.

Could it be that there are missing sata drivers or something else? Just seems to be poor performance which is a shame.

Hi there

What I've read over on LoL forum there people do have issue with performance on OSX,those people running their LoL on MacPro or iMac etc and they have issue with FPS drop which can be down to the their native client or as they said,can be down to the broadband connection which I doubt this is causing as most of people there have fast enough broadband(20mbps) and this game doesn't have graphic which should be problem for most on-board GPU(dGPU) or normal GPU.Same people run that game in W7 through the Bootcamp and they getting much higher FPS,which I think this can be down to the their client 

What settings are you using in game,do you have enabled V-Sync ? Shadows are enabled etc ? Can you post the settings and I will download the game and will test that on my PC in Yosemite 

I don't think missing SATA drivers can cause yours issue,what CPU do you have on yours ? And how much RAM do you have ?

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi

I7 5820k

MSI Gaming 7 X99S

16GB DDR4 running @ 2600mhz

Corsair 128GB SSD

Broadband is 100mbit connection.

I'm not sure of the settings - maybe just stick it onto "Ultra" or "High" with the slider and we can then compare - that's how I run it under windows. If you download it you may need to just play a custom game vs bots or with no one else but yourself.

V-Sync is off in-game.

I don't have any SMIbios set - could this help at all if I found one that works do you think?

Thanks for the reply/help :)

Hi there

I've downloaded the game on my OSX partition(my brother broken last night my Clover settings and I've been not able boot at all,I've got black screen on all ports,but right now is everything fixed),now to yours game LoL,I've tested that on my spec which I've in my signature in short P6T SE,X5670 4.2GHz OC,20GB DDR3 etc and on my GPU Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC I'm getting 70FPS,in team fight or how you call it,I'm getting around 55FPS(lowest what I've seen has been around 45FPS),my settings are everything on full/high and resolution is 1920x1200 and I've not seen any FPS drops,I've played this game for around 4 hours,which is record for me as I don't play games on my PC

Not sure what can cause those issues as above this can be down to the yours Motherboard and CPU,but still I'm not sure

In OpenCL with LuxMark you are getting better numbers like I'm getting(I'm getting just around 12,100) and this would rule out yours GPU is not up to job,but really on yous GPU you should be able run most of the games on high or very high settings at HD in very high FPS or reasonable FPS which I can only confirm

I've didn't test for long enough right now,but I will be doing few tests in couple of days and we will see if something does change 

I will try to make quick video later of the week and you will see FPS drops or not,really I've not seen any big/heavy FPS drops 

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura