Mac Pro 5,1 processor upgrade.

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 A1289 with 6 Intel Xeon Westmere W3680 at 3.33Ghz. I am planning to make some upgrades to the machine the first one is to upgrade to 12 cores, how do I proceed, do I have to buy another Intel Xeon Westmere W3680 exactly like the one already installed?, or which is the way to go.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hello,

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 A1289 with 6 Intel Xeon Westmere W3680 at 3.33Ghz. I am planning to make some upgrades to the machine the first one is to upgrade to 12 cores, how do I proceed, do I have to buy another Intel Xeon Westmere W3680 exactly like the one already installed?, or which is the way to go.

Thanks in advance for the help.

As was already posted on Mac Rumors where I would think an identically worded question was posted by you as well. You need x5 series processors and new system tray that supports dual cpus. The tray is not cheap all in all probably going to cost you as much to get second machine and upgrade it as buying everything you need to get it done in your current machine. Or you could go the route I have get something like the HP z800 and hack it up since that is the site you post this question on you may want to go that route and get it done for less than the cost of the processor tray in total.

Hello,

Thanks for the response, my best choice is to go for the upgrade tray, I am not that good with computer parts, is there a place where I can trade my or sale my original CPU trade?.

Thanks.