Firefox 39 broken on Mac OS X VMs (SOLVED in Firefox 40!)

9 posts in this topic

PROBLEM: Using Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Host OS+VMware Workstation 11.1.2. Intel Core i7 CPU, lots of RAM, ASUS mobo.

Guest OSes - Mac OS X 10.7+10.10. Firefox for Mac OS X worked fine for me, up to versions 38.0.x. Now after Firefox updated from 38 to 39, it no longer works - Firefox just shows a white screen, sometimes with small slanted lines on it. Any fix or workaround?

I am using latest VMware Tools, but it does not help any.

Is this a known issue? Are any of you guys getting the same issues with Firefox 39 too?

EDIT: As of end of August 2015, this is now working in Firefox 40.x.

So, if you get issues with VMware+Mac OS X+Firefox 39, just install latest Firefox 40.x, and it should work fine again.

Sounds like they have gone to accelerated rendering via QE/CI. This isn't supported on VMware and I also see there are reports it is broken on VirtualBox as well. Maybe there is a way to make the Firefox render without accelerated graphics.

• Like 1

Try toggling layers.offmainthreadcomposition.force-basic from about:config on or off.

Thanks, but how do I access about:config with a non-working Firefox?

Sounds like they have gone to accelerated rendering via QE/CI. This isn't supported on VMware and I also see there are reports it is broken on VirtualBox as well. Maybe there is a way to make the Firefox render without accelerated graphics.

Yes, seems like 2D/3D acceleration attempts by Firefox may be causing this - thanks!

Maybe I need to downgrade Firefox and disable auto-update?

Thanks, but how do I access about:config with a non-working Firefox?

Yes, seems like 2D/3D acceleration attempts by Firefox may be causing this - thanks!

Maybe I need to downgrade Firefox and disable auto-update?

Find your profile in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/Profiles and edit prefs.js and add line:

user_pref("layers.offmainthreadcomposition.force-basic", true);

Best do this when firefox is nor running. No idea if it will work but was suggested on Mozilla bug tracker.

Find your profile in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/Profiles and edit prefs.js and add line:

user_pref("layers.offmainthreadcomposition.force-basic", true);

Best do this when firefox is nor running. No idea if it will work but was suggested on Mozilla bug tracker.

OK I have tried this and unfortunately does not work. If I take 38 and switch this setting to true it show the same issue as 39. If I add it manually to 39 via editing prefs.js and set to false it is always removed. Best bet is 38esr version for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Any luck with a fix yet?

Just found the Mozilla bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1180688, and looks like the fix is at the end of the issue and should be fixed in nightlies. 

Find your profile in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/Profiles and edit prefs.js and add/edit lines:

layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled = false
layers.acceleration.disabled = true

• 1 month later...

OK, solved!
Firefox 40 fixes this. So, just install latest Firefox for Mac, and it should be fine again.

You will need a 2nd browser to do this, such as Safari, Chrome, or Opera.