AR8151 stop working after OS X 10.10.4 update.

monto

23 posts in this topic

After 10.10.4 update from App Store, my LAN is no longer working. The Atheros built-in network is still recognised in System Information, and System Preference/Network, but there is no connection. Can't even ping 192.168.0.1 to the router (timeout) from terminal.

Any one got this issue, and any suggestion?

After 10.10.4 update from App Store, my LAN is no longer working. The Atheros built-in network is still recognised in System Information, and System Preference/Network, but there is no connection. Can't even ping 192.168.0.1 to the router (timeout) from terminal.

Any one got this issue, and any suggestion?

What is your LAN driver?

It's AtherosL1cEthernet.kext, which has been working since Maverick, all the way to 10.10.3. I later found out I could actually connect to the router's webpage on 192.168.0.1 on Safari, but can't ping it in terminal shell. This suggests the connection with IP can be made, but not domain names. Some kind of DNS problem.

There is a German site that seems to have the same discussion. I've translated it with Google but there is no solution there either.

http://www.macuser.de/threads/10-10-4-com-update-dns-probleme-internetdienste-funktionieren-nicht-mehr.728432/page-2

I suspect the reintroduction of mDNSresponder might have stuffed up DNS somehow on my machine.

Something really weird happened. I have an old hard drive with 10.10.0 on it. So I thought I might try to use it to rebuild my machine and carbon copy to the existing SSD. Here is what I've done:

Download 10.10.3 combo update, and install it.

Update Chameleon to the same R26??

So far so good and everything including network worked.

use migration assistance to copy my user profile and apps from existing SSD running 10.10.4 to HDD with 10.10.3 on it. System settings and network settings were not checked, only one user and applications.

After migrating and reboot, {censored} happened. Now 10.10.3 on HDD has contracted the "same disease" of no network! WTF!

It must be yes.

ALXEthernet or Mieze's kexts can solve this.

I've tried ALXEthernet.kext and verified the correct kext being used in System Information. It's behaving exactly the same. I was able to connect to 192.168.0.1 in Safari, but not any domain names.

You use the last version of AtherosL1cEthernet.kext?

How do I tell what the latest is? Mine is 1.0.2b2, reported by System Information.

Let's try clean your DNS:

sudo discoveryutil mdnsflushcache
sudo discoveryutil udnsflushcaches
Do you repair and rebuild your disk permissions?
10.10.4 no longer includes discoveryd so I used the following commands instead:

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder;say cache flushed

Ive tried repair disk permissions from disk utility yesterday already. No difference.

I'll try these two commands to clean up cache on 10.10.3 partiton which now has the same problem.

Ive tried repair disk permissions from disk utility yesterday already. No difference.

I'll try these two commands to clean up cache on 10.10.3 partiton which now has the same problem.

Take a look here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306881-10104-final-is-out/?p=2150954

you, sir, have a bug. i think.

booya!

No luck on both 10.10.4 SSD and 10.10.3 HDD.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see these same error logs and suspect my problem might be different. I'll try it, and see how it goes. Now just how do I get these two files onto the machine without network? Ah, -x comes to rescue!

Let me try to download the 10.10.4 combo update and apply it again. Can it be done I wonder?

Do you check if you are using the right boot-args?

E.g: kext-dev-mode=1?

Where you have installed your kexts? In Clover or S/L/E?

Dev-mode was already set in the boot plist file, nothing has changed since 10.10.3. Atheros* kext is in S/L/E (chameleon).

Finally working, by deleting mDNS*plist from /Library/LaunchDaemons.

These must have been remnants from Maverick days, and got migrated during the OS X upgrades.

Something simple indeed. Thank you all for the suggestion and helps.

• Like 1

Finally working, by deleting mDNS*plist from /Library/LaunchDaemons.

These must have been remnants from Maverick days, and got migrated during the OS X upgrades.

Something simple indeed. Thank you all for the suggestion and helps.

nice!

Nice!

I will create a topic abou that, and move for Post-InstallationOSx86 10.10 (Yosemite)

good idea, alan!

• Like 1