no boot loaders will work

12 posts in this topic

i have a dell optiplex 755 2.33 ghtz with 4 gigs ram a 1 tb hd and a ati raedon hd 2400 with 256 mb ram

i have installed snow leopard numerous times and im frustrated because i can not get a boot loader to work.  clover says it installed fine but then it doesn't boot chimera and chameleon both report errors when i try to install them.  I have no idea what i am doing wrong.  only the dvd boots properly but thats not ideal.  This i would like fixed beforei get on to the issues with the app store.  First booting.  Please any help you can give would be appreciated.

What error do you have when booting with Chameleon from HDD?

Cannot help you with Clover or Chimera, and i never went under 10.8.0 OS X but never had any troubles with Chameleon until Yosemite dual boot with ML (ML still boots perfect). 

• Like 1

Boot0. I'm told it's because while I'm using a dell opti 755 my hard drive is 1 tb and being a 4 k drive, snow leopards isn't equipped to handle it or something. So much for upgrading the hw on it. I put the old clunky 80 gig back in it and I'm trying again.

i just tried to install  after reinstalling on an 80 gig hd that came with the maching and i got an installation error.  didnt say what the installation error was just to contact the software manufacturer. 

Well, I'm booting from 1tb hard drive in my 755 without any problems. 

Try this, it solved it for me.

Save this file to your installer (or USB drive).

boot1h.zip

Boot to the installer and enter terminal.

In terminal write "diskutil list" and see what's name of partition you've installed your OS X (mine was disk0s2)

Then write this command from the usb with boot1h file:
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

Again, disk0s2 was in my case. Some instructions say to add bs=4096 to last command, but i'm booting without it.

P.S. Stay with 1tb drive, 80gb is way to small for anything. If you're worried about size, make two partitions and let one be your OS X drive and other your media or "everything else" HDD. 
  • Like 1

I got a boot loader to work on it now that I'm using the old 80 gig drive that came with it.

• Like 1

Hi,first you have to copy the file boot1h in a pendrive formatted in FAT32, renamed "boot".

Other necessary thing is the installation pendrive.

Boot from the installation pendrive and choose Disk Utility from the "utility" menu, unmount the disk partition on which you want to put the file boot1h
Close Disk Utility
choose Terminal from the "Utility" menu

Identifies the disk to 1TB with command: diskutil list
type: cd /Volumes/ boot

type: dd if=boot1h of=/dev/identifier (change "Identifier" with the exact name of the partition previously unmounted)

Respect spaces and case/lower case
Exit from the Terminal and restart the system 

• Like 2

good god. lets read before open topics like this.

boot0? search before open topics for such a common subject.

welcome to insanelymac.

btw, we all expect the best from you and for you :)

• Like 1

ok so i reinstalled with the mod cd and after install, just as expected on the 1 tb hdd, it didn't boot.  I used the above methods to dd if of the boot1h and i now have a chameleon bootloader working.  thank you.

phew!

now on to the internet connection!  it had worked previously when using the i boot dvd.  I'll try to d/l something and transfer it on usb.

• Like 1

Scratch that.  it turned out to b a cable.  Alls good with the ethernet.   Sorry for the mix up.

Thank you all for your help!