Remove Recovery Partition?

22 posts in this topic

Hi, I installed my yosemite and windows on the same disk (as I don't have money to buy another disk :P ) and the problem is, can I just get rid of the recovery HD for windows uses? (because 1 disk only limited for 4 partitions) as this recovery HD wasted it. I tried to deleted recovery HD once when install windows, and its makes any boot loaders renders to unbootable (even USB clover) so I can't touch it except there's way (I really sure theres way, lol). any idea will be appreciated it.

Thanks!   

Well, did I do something wrong eh?

xEFhaOG.jpg

PS. I also tried to format my windows partitions to HFS+ and to format to ntfs in installer but its dont work too as windoze does not support direct gpt for weird reasons.

PS. I also tried to format my windows partitions to HFS+ and to format to ntfs in installer but its dont work too as windoze does not support direct gpt for weird reasons.

Well first thing you are doing wrong is trying to install windows on anything but the first partition. Second is that is a mbr partitioned disk or windows thinks it is so you are not installing from an efi boot which allows/requires?? you to use a GPT drive. Now you need to start windows from an efi boot once in the installer partition the drive as you want it to be later. Looks like you want four partitions so do that in the windows installer choose the first to install windows on then your OS X next. Hopefully OS X sees the window partitions created as GPT and your good to go.

i respect MacUser2525, but i really dont recommend install windows in the first partition. if done as i said, nothing goes wrong.

Why not? Not like I install a lot of windows/mac combinations (don't think I ever have on same disk anyways) but any dual boots I have ever done with Linux it has been my experience windows does not like to be on anything but the first partition on the disk.

Why not? Not like I install a lot of windows/mac combinations (don't think I ever have on same disk anyways) but any dual boots I have ever done with Linux it has been my experience windows does not like to be on anything but the first partition on the disk.

windows rename all partitions after him. ideal is what i said before: 

"you must format all partitions in hfs+. then change the win partition to ntfs with a ubuntu or other linux with gparted in it.

and of course, the windows installer must be uefi."

like that, there is no problem at all. 

To install Windows on GPT DISKS you need to use a x64 version, and not those all in one (X86/X64).

and all your hard drive must be formatted in GPT.

• Like 2

To install Windows on GPT DISKS you need to use a x64 version, and not those all in one (X86/X64).

and all your hard drive must be formatted in GPT.

and the partition must be set as hfs+ and later changed to ntfs with gparted or else it will be hybrid gpt and windows will have problems installing.

and the partition must be set as hfs+ and later changed to ntfs with gparted or else it will be hybrid gpt and windows will have problems installing.

I've never needed to use gparted, I simply install first the Mac OSX and create partitions only the formatting that I install OSX,

after installing the Windows format the partition you want to install windows by the windows installation disc.

• Like 1

I've never needed to use gparted, I simply install first the Mac OSX and create partitions only the formatting that I install OSX,

after installing the Windows format the partition you want to install windows by the windows installation disc.

diskpart?

@pote2639,

If you use Clover and install all your OS's in UEFI mode on a "pure" GPT disk, then you can have up to 128 primary partitions (with Clover, you can even install Windows in UEFI mode on legacy BIOS/non UEFI systems!) :).

eg of hybrid MBR on disk1

diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Mavericks               124.4 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data SHARED DATA             249.8 GB   disk0s5
   6:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN7_X64                125.0 GB   disk0s6
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *15.6 GB    disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN                     7.8 GB     disk1s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS OSX                     7.3 GB     disk1s3

sudo gdisk /dev/disk1
Password:
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Partition table scan:
MBR: hybrid
BSD: not present
APM: not present
GPT: present

Found valid GPT with hybrid MBR; using GPT.

If you are using Chameleon to dual boot OSX/Windows, then you will be limited to a MBR or hybrid MBR/GPT partition scheme and a maximum of 4 primary partitions.

Although I don't recommend deleting your recovery partition, it can be easily done using GDisk (option 'd', then 'w' to write changes to disk).

Good Luck!

• Like 2

@pote2639,

If you use Clover and install all your OS's in UEFI mode on a "pure" GPT disk, then you can have up to 128 primary partitions (with Clover, you can even install Windows in UEFI mode on legacy BIOS/non UEFI systems!) :).

eg of hybrid MBR on disk1

diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Mavericks               124.4 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data SHARED DATA             249.8 GB   disk0s5
   6:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN7_X64                125.0 GB   disk0s6
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *15.6 GB    disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN                     7.8 GB     disk1s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS OSX                     7.3 GB     disk1s3

sudo gdisk /dev/disk1
Password:
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Partition table scan:
MBR: hybrid
BSD: not present
APM: not present
GPT: present

Found valid GPT with hybrid MBR; using GPT.

If you are using Chameleon to dual boot OSX/Windows, then you will be limited to a MBR or hybrid MBR/GPT partition scheme and a maximum of 4 primary partitions.

Although I don't recommend deleting your recovery partition, it can be easily done using GDisk (option 'd', then 'w' to write changes to disk).

Good Luck!

i like gdisk. powerful tool.

• Like 1

Ah okay, so now I can make 5 partitons on windows now! Thanks guys. But the new and only problem is, I tried to install clover on Mac (has chameleon on it) but after I finished installed, reboot. Chameleon is still there and clover is not booting? Weird tho. I tried to installed it via "install for uefi booting only"

EDIT: nvm, I checked off install for uefi booting only and now everything working great! Greatly, Thanks a lot guys!

btw is there any way to set clover to boot windows as default, and setting countdown time to boot on?

• Like 1

btw is there any way to set clover to boot windows as default, and setting countdown time to boot on?

Have a look at the Clover wiki on how to set DefaultVolume &/or DefaultLoader.

FYI, the following works for me, setting DefaultLoader as bootmgfw.efi and DefaultVolume as EFI....

<key>Boot</key>

<dict>

<key>Arguments</key>

<string>kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0</string>

<key>Debug</key>

<false/>

<key>DefaultLoader</key>

<string>bootmgfw.efi</string>

<key>DefaultVolume</key>

<string>EFI</string>

<key>Secure</key>

<false/>

<key>Timeout</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>XMPDetection</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

• Like 1

Ah okay, so now I can make 5 partitons on windows now! Thanks guys. But the new and only problem is, I tried to install clover on Mac (has chameleon on it) but after I finished installed, reboot. Chameleon is still there and clover is not booting? Weird tho. I tried to installed it via "install for uefi booting only"

EDIT: nvm, I checked off install for uefi booting only and now everything working great! Greatly, Thanks a lot guys!

good to hear that.

here> http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Boot#DefaultVolume

Have a look at the Clover wiki on how to set DefaultVolume &/or DefaultLoader.

FYI, the following works for me, setting DefaultLoader as bootmgfw.efi and DefaultVolume as EFI....

<key>Boot</key>

<dict>

<key>Arguments</key>

<string>kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0</string>

<key>Debug</key>

<false/>

<key>DefaultLoader</key>

<string>bootmgfw.efi</string>

<key>DefaultVolume</key>

<string>EFI</string>

<key>Secure</key>

<false/>

<key>Timeout</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>XMPDetection</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

oh my oh my. i leave the tab open and did not saw you post. anyway... lol :)

• Like 1