Updating BIOS to UEFI on z68ap-d3 (rev. 1)

lpranal

26 posts in this topic

So I've got my hack working fairly well, with one or 2 small issues. Setup:

yosemite 10.10.3, clover (legacy mode) 

z68ap-d3 rev. 1, f8 bios

i5 2500k (@4.2-4.4 oc)

16gb DDR3, 180G SSD os drive

r9 290 (powercolor turboduo, non-reference)

Only issues are lack of sleep support, and video card issues - namely, flashing screen at start (fixed by unplugging / replugging monitor or sleep/wake display, which does work), no dual monitor support.  I'm hoping going to UEFI bios will help with sleep / wake, and also possibly with GPU issues

I'm going to try and flash a UEFI BIOS on my video card as well. Intuitively, it seems everything 'should' work together better if it's all UEFI, which my mobo's bios is still currently legacy BIOS (award).  

Which begs the question - if I do update to UEFI - which I've already found a compatible, working update for my board - will I have to do a reinstall? Or, just delete / generate new DSDT?

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't recommend you to update to UEFI, it's really not that good and even though it may solve your sleep problems it will add others, like lack of fan control for the CPU (a show stopper for me) and lacking voltage controls for overclock.

I've been using 10.10 in legacy mode and it's been absolutely flawless and found no reason to update to the UEFI firmware other than just for fun.

Later I'll upload my DSDT and other files you may need.

• Like 2

I wouldn't recommend you to update to UEFI, it's really not that good and even though it may solve your sleep problems it will add others, like lack of fan control for the CPU (a show stopper for me) and lacking voltage controls for overclock.

I've been using 10.10 in legacy mode and it's been absolutely flawless and found no reason to update to the UEFI firmware other than just for fun.

Thank you!  Yeah, definitely a showstopper here as well. I didn't see that info anywhere else, either, you just saved me a TON of time and most likely wasted effort.

Really, if  I can get sleep working that'll pretty much have me sorted since the monitor issue only happens from a cold boot. If I can just put the system to sleep instead of shut down, that's all I'll really need. 

Here's my own DSDT, it includes some sleep patches, HDMI audio for AMD graphics, ethernet and USB/USB3 patches (USB3 needs kexts patches included in the config.plist). There's no code for the onboard graphics card but it's easy to add if you want it. Also there's no layout audio injection, I do that with Clover's audio->inject (included in the plist too).

If you have a DSDT then leave the ACPI->DropTables section, otherwise you'll need to remove that and enable ACPI->SSDT->Generate. Customize the graphics section for your own graphics card or remove the framebuffer and ports. Check out the KernelAndKextPatches->KextsToPatch section, there are several patches already, most should work with 10.10 but no idea with older versions. And remember to add your own serials to the SMBIOS and sections if you want iMessages to work.

Regarding your cold boot graphics issue, I believe I read about it somewhere about a quick fix. I'll post the link if I find it later.

Let me know if you need to fix something else.

Good luck!

Maniac10.zip

EDIT: well here's that patch I told you above http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/424-agdpfix/

Edited by Maniac10
  • Like 1

I found a "patched" UEFI bios for the rev. 1 board a while ago. (There seems to be no official one for it, only for rev. 2 boards)

Working well with 10.10.  (Have 3 hacks, two with rev. 2, one with rev. 1)

Fan control works fine with the UEFI bios available for the rev. 1 board. No need to use any DSDT at all

Z68APD3.U1A.zip

Fan control works fine with the UEFI bios available for the rev. 1 board. No need to use any DSDT at all

That hasn't been true for me with that U1A update, (I was even provided with a couple of modded bioses as well) and fan control is completely broken and was told it won't ever be fixed.

That hasn't been true for me with that U1A update, (I was even provided with a couple of modded bioses as well) and fan control is completely broken and was told it won't ever be fixed.

Interesting!

Let me double check later today. Should look with hwmonitor then, I guess? 

The problem is most noticeable at boot when the CPU fan won't even start, under load within the OS it may turn on sometimes but it's very slow. The "solution" is to plug the CPU fan to another socket like "system fan" but that will just make it run full speed all the time (very loud!). 

Hey, your U1A is dated 22/12/13 while mine is 9/5/12. Perhaps you have a custom one? Where did you get it from?

EDIT: nope, they're identical.

shasum Z68APD3.U1A.sailor
dd135854011fdcf0afe11e575f5b19b6a5e397e0
shasum Z68APD3.U1A
  • Like 1

The problem is most noticeable at boot when the CPU fan won't even start, under load within the OS it may turn on sometimes but it's very slow. The "solution" is to plug the CPU fan to another socket like "system fan" but that will just make it run full speed all the time (very loud!). 

Hey, your U1A is dated 22/12/13 while mine is 9/5/12. Perhaps you have a custom one? Where did you get it from?

EDIT: nope, they're identical.

shasum Z68APD3.U1A.sailor
shasum Z68APD3.U1A

I don't remember exactly, but I think it was a Russian forum or so.

Please have a look at the attached video. I just recorded it during a geekbench3 run.

15_06_27 19_16_06.mov

post-975315-0-01241700-1435427724_thumb.jpg

post-975315-0-25425700-1435427732_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And that is on a rev1 with the U1A firmware? I wasn't the only one complaining about the fan control issue in that thread so yours working is really strange. Can you take a picture of your bios in the fan control and voltages screens?

In the end, even in the best of cases I think this update won't really solve the OP's problem and still advice him to apply that patch and fix his DSDT first before updating his motherboard and graphics firmwares.

Now as you're mentioning this, I remember from a few weeks ago, I had adjusted something in the UEFI/BIOS settings which had exactly the same effect. The fan didn't start and I got the alarm sound. I put the setting back and all was good again.

And that is on a rev1 with the U1A firmware? I wasn't the only one complaining about the fan control issue in that thread so yours working is really strange. Can you take a picture of your bios in the fan control and voltages screens?

In the end, even in the best of cases I think this update won't really solve the OP's problem and still advice him to apply that patch and fix his DSDT first before updating his motherboard and graphics firmwares.

Pictures were just made during the video recording :-)

But I'll check and try to send you some pics from the boot and UEFI settings.

Now I remember which setting it was: I had changed something at the CPU fan control setting, which is now on normal. Didn't check again which one it was, though. 

[edit: rotated pictures]

post-975315-0-97363400-1435429347_thumb.jpg

post-975315-0-38429600-1435429355_thumb.jpg

post-975315-0-08360700-1435429362_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/27/2015 at 11:43 AM, sailor25462 said:

I found a "patched" UEFI bios for the rev. 1 board a while ago. (There seems to be no official one for it, only for rev. 2 boards)

Working well with 10.10.  (Have 3 hacks, two with rev. 2, one with rev. 1)

Z68APD3.U1A.zip

On 6/27/2015 at 8:15 PM, sailor25462 said:

Now as you're mentioning this, I remember from a few weeks ago, I had adjusted something in the UEFI/BIOS settings which had exactly the same effect. The fan didn't start and I got the alarm sound. I put the setting back and all was good again.

Pictures were just made during the video recording :-)

But I'll check and try to send you some pics from the boot and UEFI settings.

Now I remember which setting it was: I had changed something at the CPU fan control setting, which is now on normal. Didn't check again which one it was, though. 

[edit: rotated pictures]

post-975315-0-97363400-1435429347_thumb.jpg

post-975315-0-38429600-1435429355_thumb.jpg

post-975315-0-08360700-1435429362_thumb.jpg

so your bios didn,t broke the fan controller as i wanna flash uefi to it ??

9 hours ago, sailor25462 said:

For me, no. 

thanks sir for fast reply as i wanna flash your uefi file for rev 1

but i was affraid for fan control get damage

so you was in f8 bios then flashed the u1a bios ?

Frankly speaking I don’t know. It’s because I sold the rack a while ago. I would believe i updated from F8, but it’s not guaranteed. 

Also you should be aware that many seem to have issues with this uefi (fan), so you should be aware of the risk it could also happen to you. 

I don’t want to encourage you, but neither want to say: don’t do it. 

All i can say is that it worked for me, as shown on the screen captures. 

I have no clue why it worked for me and for others not. Could be language settings or something we don’t even dream of. 

So from my side: if you feel safe and are ready to go through an unsupported downgrade path in case it doesn’t work, then fine. 

Its obviously not for the faint at heart.... 

Oh, maybe one more advice: make sure you really “flush” all settings to default after the upgrade (should you decide to do it)

I would believe that removing power and the backup battery from the board should ensure you start from blank. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sailor25462 said:

Frankly speaking I don’t know. It’s because I sold the rack a while ago. I would believe i updated from F8, but it’s not guaranteed. 

Also you should be aware that many seem to have issues with this uefi (fan), so you should be aware of the risk it could also happen to you. 

I don’t want to encourage you, but neither want to say: don’t do it. 

All i can say is that it worked for me, as shown on the screen captures. 

I have no clue why it worked for me and for others not. Could be language settings or something we don’t even dream of. 

So from my side: if you feel safe and are ready to go through an unsupported downgrade path in case it doesn’t work, then fine. 

Its obviously not for the faint at heart.... 

Oh, maybe one more advice: make sure you really “flush” all settings to default after the upgrade (should you decide to do it)

I would believe that removing power and the backup battery from the board should ensure you start from blank. 

thanx sir for your answer

yeah i see its kinda risky think as its not official bios flash its 3rd party flashing so all risk goes on me

but i really love style of uefi and all new mobos have it and i searched alot for it and founded many bios files but most of users say its get fan control stuck

and after i saw your comment about your fan works gived me some hope here

may be its a set in the options or must clear all setting to fail safe before and after flashing?

and get the cpu fan to normal after flash....

hmm very interesting

iwill try it when i ready for it and i will let you know the result 

hope you good day sir and thanks again..

and last question where you manged to get this uefi bios as i see many files in the fourms  

i wanna see th date for it

• 3 weeks later...

i must say what happened with your file sir

nothing changing while try ro flash it i created a bootable usb by hp tool and window98 dos files

and placed the file you provided but i saw that flashefi.exe file and autoexc.bat file missing

igot them from another rev 2

and edited the autoexc.bat file and added the z68ap-d3.u1a name there

so it must auto flash when i boot from the usb 

but it freeze like this 

20180616_021207.jpg

Frankly speaking, I do not know what to say. I have not come across such problems. Don't really dare to ask, but are you sure you have a rev.1 board?

Except from that, I've no clue what to do. As I said, I have sold the rig a while ago, so I have no chance to test anything myself. sorry.

4 hours ago, sailor25462 said:

Frankly speaking, I do not know what to say. I have not come across such problems. Don't really dare to ask, but are you sure you have a rev.1 board?

Except from that, I've no clue what to do. As I said, I have sold the rig a while ago, so I have no chance to test anything myself. sorry.

i,m very thank you for you to answer me sir no need to be sorry for any thing

and i know you say you sold your mobo along ago 

3 hours ago, sailor25462 said:

By the way, here is the original source I found my files in: http://forum.gigabyte.ru/viewtopic.php?t=47933

Use google translate to read in English.

thanks this was a great help to remember the source