Sandy Bridge-E & Ivy Bridge-E Power management 10.11 (Final App store realease)

stinga11

48 posts in this topic

OK, I feel dumb asking this, I use Clover's kext patching all the time, but I've never got it to work with AICPUPM. I've always had to patch the kext directly, which works fine.

Now that El Capitan is getting more finicky about unsigned kexts, I'm getting a little OCD about keeping my drive as vanilla as possible. What I'm trying to achieve is getting the MSR patch and these patches running from Clover. I patched the kext with the MSR patch and these (works great) then opened them both up in Hex Fiend and compared them to get the patches, which again didn't work from Clover.

In this particular case, just as a test, I've applied just the MSR patch to AICPUPM and tried to leave these straight forward patches in Clover, still no go.

I've been over this 20 times (Clover patching didn't work for me on AICPUPM in Yosemite either.)

Can someone take a minute and have a look please?

Edit: Apparently in Clover if the "Asus AICPUPM" patch flag is set it will block any other patching of the kext. Setting it to false resolved the problem (it didn't work on my system anyway.)

post-333813-0-67846200-1448669407_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

You kidding with that question no ? Really not the place :)

@Manor : I have power management but don't know how exactly, didn't check.
And I got speed stepping working with SSPrGen script.

I will upload my EFI folder soon so you can check in it if you want

• 4 weeks later...

Can somebody help with speedstep with i7-2820QM on El Capitan 10.11.2? I have Dell Precision M4600 and OSX is enable to boot only with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

There are my Acpi tables...

thanks

Hi howoarang,

check this link for m6600:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307740-need-help-install-yosemite-on-dell-precision-m6600/

Everything is running well except for the SDHC.

I uploaded the script that I used to get everything working.

Together with the latest ACPIBatteryManager.kext from Rehabman, Battery status is now showing in the menu bar.

Speedstep from PikerAlpha can be applied, after fixing your DSDT/ssdt with the script.  read https://github.com/P...ha/ssdtPRGen.sh  .

The script is for m6600, but may work on M4600 since there is not much difference on both machine anyway.

cheers!

Hi,

I have implemented PM with my Dual Sandy E5-2670. Now, with El Capitan 10.11.2 all 32 Logical Cores work. PM works as well and also Turbo Mode. I used the X79PlatformPlugin.kext as well as the AICPMPatch for MSR and the Clover Patch for AICPM kext,  all with the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS.

But when I run Geekbench with the 6,1 SMBIOS and PM enabled, the Rig scores app. 24000, but single CPU app. 2400. When I run the Rig with MacPro5,1 without PM, it scores app 33500, single CPU 1870, both times Hyperthreading enabled. This is strange, could it be connected to Turbo Mode latency?

I changed the BIOS Settings to Performance.

Regards,

Mike

For those who are interested, I've been on a bit of a tear trying to get me Gigabyte X79-UD5 install as vanilla as possible. To that end I've come up with a MSR patch that can be run from Clover as opposed to using the "10.11 AICPM.patch.command" from the OP. Combined with Stinga11's PM patches I have full power management on my 3930K.

I don't understand this well enough to know if this will work on other boards with locked MSRs, so your millage may vary.

<dict>
        <key>Comment</key>
	<string>MSR Patch</string>
	<key>Find</key>
	<data>
	4gAAAA8w
	</data>
	<key>Name</key>
	<string>AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement</string>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<data>
	4gAAAJCQ
	</data>
</dict>
<dict>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<string>MSR Patch</string>
	<key>Find</key>
	<data>
	4gAAAEiJ8A8w
	</data>
	<key>Name</key>
	<string>AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement</string>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<data>
	4gAAAEiJ8JCQ
	</data>
</dict>

Or in Clover Configurator;

KextsToPatch: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement    Find: E20000004889F00F30  Replace: E20000004889F09090  Type/Key: String

KextsToPatch: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement    Find: E20000000F30  Replace: E20000009090  Type/Key: String

post-333813-0-93669400-1453158984_thumb.png

• Like 1

Anyone have any details on the 

ASUS ROG RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION with 4960X CPU?

Currently I have everything working I think? But, I am only getting a 22K geek bench with DUAL 980TI + 64G ram and OC'ed to 4.6GZ

Thanks

• 3 months later...

GA-X79S-UP5 mobo

BIOS F4u (the latest BIOS for my board, optimized defaults)

i7-3930K

GTX 680

OS X 10.11.4

All relevant drivers are updated.

This hardware set-up ran Mountain Lion and Mavericks without a hitch. Sleep worked poorly (monitors wouldn't reinitialize), however, power management and speed stepping worked as expected (many c and p states, throttling as needed).

Current El Capitan install works fine, except speed stepping does not work. CPU is stuck on whatever max frequency is set at boot.

I'm unable to unlock the board using the techniques described in this thread and in this thread. Perhaps power management is a lost cause?

I'm also unable to create an ssdt using piker alpha's script with the -c and -w flags. I get this error:

• Error: Invalid argument detected: -c (check ssdtPRGen.sh -h)

If I run it without those flags, I also get these errors:

• Error: board-id [Mac-F42C88C8] not supported by Sandy Bridge – check SMBIOS data / use the -c option
    • I'm unable to run the script with the -c option
    • Continue? y
  • Warning: 'system-type' may be set improperly (1 instead of 2)

At this point the script compiles and creates the ssdt.aml file. I rename it SSDT.aml, drop it into the Patched folder, reboot, and nothing changes.

If I try to change the system type from 3,1 to 6,1, monitors won't reinitialize at boot. Not the best scenario.

ioREG is attached.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

IOReg_baseline2.zip

• 1 month later...

I came back to this thread looking for my original MSR patches (I knew I wrote them down somewhere.) I just finally updated permanently to El Cap 10.11.5 from Yosemite, but I too am having a power management issue.

The machine runs fine, shortly after a reboot I can open HWMonitor and see speed stepping working perfectly. After about 10-15 minutes the cores start to climb and end up at 3.5 GHz where they just sit from then on, as if power management eventually breaks (?)

I've looked at the activity monitor, not much happening there. Shut down various background programs, no change.

Gigabyte x79-UD5 with a 3930k.

Demiankz, I don't know if you're having the same problem. Does your speed step work shortly after booting? I've attached my SSDT from running Pike's script which, till this update, has always worked fine. As speed step does work after booting (for a short while) I doubt the SSDT information is the root of the problem. The cores are running hot also, so I don't think it's bad info on the speed step.

EDIT: It seems the culprit was Spotlight. After some digging I tracked down the problem, reindexing fixed it.

Demiankz, I've attached my Clover config.plist too with the working PM patches. Hopefully that will work for you. I don't know if the MSR patches are the same for your board, but if not the MSR patch AICPMPatch tool in the original post will get it working. Don't forget to use MacPro 6,1 in your SMBIOS

ssdt.aml.zip

config.plist.zip

• Like 1

Hi how are you guys. Just a quick question. I am trying to get power management working on my HP z820 it is running dual Sandy Bridge EP Xeon E5 2640. I have set the SMbios to Macpro 6.1.

I followed all the steps on the tutorial, I patched the acpipm in clover I also created the SSDT for the system using: ./ssdtPRGen.sh -c 1 -w 3 -turbo 3000 which gives me a warning. 

The score on multicore geekbench is 24.000 which drops to 20.000 if I disable HyperThreading on the BIOS. 

Another thing I noticed is that the system won't boot unless I have checked: AsusAICPUPM in clover

Please let me know any suggestions I could try.

Thank you for your time.

post-1547990-0-92645100-1466685020_thumb.png

post-1547990-0-53676800-1466685022_thumb.png

post-1547990-0-06559600-1466685023_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi how are you guys. Just a quick question. I am trying to get power management working on my HP z820 it is running dual Sandy Bridge EP Xeon E5 2640. I have set the SMbios to Macpro 6.1.

I followed all the steps on the tutorial, I patched the acpipm in clover I also created the SSDT for the system using: ./ssdtPRGen.sh -c 1 -w 3 -turbo 3000 which gives me a warning. 

The score on multicore geekbench is 24.000 which drops to 20.000 if I disable HyperThreading on the BIOS. 

Another thing I noticed is that the system won't boot unless I have checked: AsusAICPUPM in clover

Please let me know any suggestions I could try.

Thank you for your time.

jrv10, I've found in the past that checking the AsusAICPUPM in Clover (which works as a patch for the MSR lock in some machines) will prevent any further patching of the kext. In other words it's probably patching the MSR lock and preventing the rest of the manual patches you've entered.

You may want to try backing up the original kext and trying Stinga's patches directly on AICPUPM and see what happens, or try both the MSR patch and the PM patches without selecting the patch in Clover and see where that gets you.

hi stinga, 

what about X99 and haswell E Xeon?

Any guide for those..? :)

Thanks!

At the moment I do not have a X99 system. For this reason I have not updated the guides.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello stinga11,

This guide is for get a working Power Management on any X79

First of all, here’s my rig :

- Gigabyte X79-UD5 rev 1.0 F12

- Intel 3930k

- Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX660ti

I’m trying to enable PM on my machine but it seems I’m missing something. Before I started playing with this guide, my computer was veeeeerry slow. Slow like it takes several seconds to copy a kext of 233kb, it has difficulty accessing files on my local SSD (onto which OS X 10.11.5 is installed), terminal takes forever to display anything I type and of course, graphics are incredibly slow as well. That kind of slow. 

Now my first question is : is that related to PM?

Second question is : What am I doing wrong? Here’s what 

- BIOS settings to optimized defaults, sata set to AHCI

- Config.plist, SSDT.aml and SSDT-1.aml come from X79.dmg from RampageDev. First one is for the mobo, second for CPU. 

Config_SSDT_cacheOutput.zip

- Kexts in 10.11 are :

post-507889-0-54280500-1470187608_thumb.png

post-507889-0-55634300-1470187589_thumb.png

- Did the aicpm patch in clover

- I’m using a X79-UD5 board, so I need to do MSR patch on the AICPM kext that is in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/10.11/. Correct?

- put X79PlatformPlugin.kext in /S/L/E

Step 4 :

- At first, I skipped step 4 because I already had SSDTs from RampageDev. Do I need to generate a new one after I did step 1-2-3?

- Then seeing it still didnt work, I tried generating a new one. I’m using MacPro5,1 so it flags it to me saying it’s not the proper board ID. But I've seen at multiple occasion RampageDev saying it was the proper definition to use for Sandy Bridge E. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Step 5 :

- ran cache rebuild.

Still getting this :

post-507889-0-21770800-1470187599_thumb.png

Thanks for this thread and thank you in advance.

At the moment I do not have a X99 system. For this reason I have not updated the guides.

I know it's off-topic, Stinga, but we were wondering if you could help us to patch 10.11.6 Kernel on Asus X99-A II, intel i7 6900K Broadwell-E. Opened a thread here

Thanks in advance

Giacomoleopardo

Anyone?

Hello stinga11,

First of all, here’s my rig :

- Gigabyte X79-UD5 rev 1.0 F12

- Intel 3930k

- Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX660ti

I’m trying to enable PM on my machine but it seems I’m missing something. Before I started playing with this guide, my computer was veeeeerry slow. Slow like it takes several seconds to copy a kext of 233kb, it has difficulty accessing files on my local SSD (onto which OS X 10.11.5 is installed), terminal takes forever to display anything I type and of course, graphics are incredibly slow as well. That kind of slow. 

Now my first question is : is that related to PM?

Second question is : What am I doing wrong? Here’s what 

- BIOS settings to optimized defaults, sata set to AHCI

- Config.plist, SSDT.aml and SSDT-1.aml come from X79.dmg from RampageDev. First one is for the mobo, second for CPU. 

attachicon.gifConfig_SSDT_cacheOutput.zip

- Kexts in 10.11 are :

attachicon.gifKexts10_11.png

attachicon.gifDrivers64UEFI.png

- Did the aicpm patch in clover

- I’m using a X79-UD5 board, so I need to do MSR patch on the AICPM kext that is in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/10.11/. Correct?

- put X79PlatformPlugin.kext in /S/L/E

Step 4 :

- At first, I skipped step 4 because I already had SSDTs from RampageDev. Do I need to generate a new one after I did step 1-2-3?

- Then seeing it still didnt work, I tried generating a new one. I’m using MacPro5,1 so it flags it to me saying it’s not the proper board ID. But I've seen at multiple occasion RampageDev saying it was the proper definition to use for Sandy Bridge E. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Step 5 :

- ran cache rebuild.

Still getting this :

Thanks for this thread and thank you in advance.

• 2 months later...

jrv10, I've found in the past that checking the AsusAICPUPM in Clover (which works as a patch for the MSR lock in some machines) will prevent any further patching of the kext. In other words it's probably patching the MSR lock and preventing the rest of the manual patches you've entered.

You may want to try backing up the original kext and trying Stinga's patches directly on AICPUPM and see what happens, or try both the MSR patch and the PM patches without selecting the patch in Clover and see where that gets you.

Hi J Lamp, apologies for the late reply. Thank you for the advice, I stayed away from attempting PM on this machine for a while. One thing I have noticed is that the MSR lock seems to affect windows 10 as well, as performing the geekbench test gives me the same score.

Thank again.

• Like 1