Yosemite seems more sluggish than it should

4 posts in this topic

So everything is up and working beautifully... high cinebench openGL scores, iMessage, iCloud, continuity, etc, all work wonderfully. it just seems....laggy. more laggy than it should be, with the hardware I'm running. My 2008 Macbook Pro with 4GB of ddr2 seems to run ALMOST the same...but this is just a TAD faster. I would think that there would be a HUGE difference, never mind the overabundance of ram, just the newer and faster arch.

here are the specs

intel core i3 3.3GHz

16GB DDR3 1600MHz

Geforce GTX 560Ti 1GB

Asus P8Z68-V LE motherboard with latest UEFI Bios

Yosemite 10.10.3 booted with Clover UEFI (true UEFI, not the legacy version)

HDD. i have it installed on my MacBooks old hard drive so i can make sure it runs fine before i wipe my windows 7 install from my SSD and replace it with the cloned copy of Yosemite. I'm meaning the entire UI, when i open my applications folder on the dock, the icons seem to go frame by frame. the animations are a bit laggy. safari is either quick or dead slow. i get the beach ball a bit more than i feel i should. 

though like i said, Doom 3 runs at max settings at 1080P with barely a hiccup, turn down shadows one notch and its butter. youtube works perfectly. 

I've tried installing the nVidia web drivers, said not compatible with this version of OS X. So I changed my system definition to a mac pro 5,1, and same thing. so i set it back as an iMac 12,1

so i used super duper to put my yosemite install on my SSD and reinstalled clover and transferred the EFI partition, and installed TRIM enabler,  and MY GOD what a difference. there still is some UI animation lag, but cinebench scores at 49fps. still can't install the nvidia web drivers, for some reason. 

but it boots in under 15 seconds, compared to almost 2 minutes on the 5400rpm macbook drive. Keeping the macbook drive installed but disconnected, in case something happens and I'm unable to boot to this install. 

doesn't truly go to sleep, but I don't let my computers hibernate anyway. 

does all this sound pretty normal for a hack, or do I have a small hiccup somewhere, from the sounds of it? chip is the i3 3.3GHz 2120

cinebench CPU scores at 262cb