Future of Hackintoshing

48 posts in this topic

Apple will lose countless customers if they ever switch to ARM Macs, so I don't think they will take the risk. It's the age of Tim Cook, not Steve Jobs, so innovation is the past, profit is the present

Profit from the free OS? Or what else do you mean?

Apple has already said they want to keep the Mac the way it is..

They are finally getting sales thanks to lower prices on competitive hardware and the fallout from windows 8 release.

It is important for them to keep machines that can create the content they want to sell you..

• Like 2

Apple has already said they want to keep the Mac the way it is..

They are finally getting sales thanks to lower prices on competitive hardware and the fallout from windows 8 release.

It is important for them to keep machines that can create the content they want to sell you..

If they wanted to keep the Mac the same than why did they ruin it with Yosemite? You can't create content on Yosemite because it is an OS built by 5-year olds for 5-year olds. By this I mean that the icons were made in the exotic workplace of kindergarten.

• Like 3

I'm not afraid while here @Pike R. Alpha,@Slice and @netkas!!!!!! :)

And Oz bootloader!!!!

i want to add clover bootloader to your list. along with other brilliant developers and collaborators. the retired ones and the ones starting in the past couple of years.

I'm not sure if anybody has thought of this but technically the new MacBook is somewhat designed to run an Apple A chip processor. Apple already has plans to implement it since the motherboard is fairly similar to that of an iPad. The hard work is already done at this point. All that's left is for Apple to implement an OS that uses its ARM processor. It could be a professional version of iOS or a ported version of OS X. Also, the MacBook Air basically has no future at this point and will eventually be phased out, unless this will be the "MacBook" that runs Intel chips.

So Hackintoshes are safe for now. But the possibility of seeing an ARM chip on a Mac is very high.

So Hackintoshes are safe for now. But the possibility of seeing an ARM chip on a Mac is very high.

Yes, although did you watch the WWDC 2004? Steve Jobs said that it took a tremendous effort and about 6-8 months just to design the hardware, let alone port the OS to Intel Processors, so Apple may not be bothered.

Apple will lose countless customers if they ever switch to ARM Macs, so I don't think they will take the risk. It's the age of Tim Cook, not Steve Jobs, so innovation is the past, profit is the present

do you  honestly think the ones buying the mac products care what processor is inside as long as it works and as fast like nothing happened?

Compatibility issues with every single app every released for OS X is not what I would call 'just working'. Even if most of them could be recompiled to target ARM, what about the discontinued ones? In the Intel switch time, there was a PPC emulator - but I honestly doubt Apple would write a x86 emulator for ARM.

• Like 1

New macbook is a perfect example of how terrible OS X performance is on a slower cpu..

For simple things is very useful, but if we buy a new MacBook for use PS, Final Cut etc...that is very slower...

machdep.user_idle_level: 0
machdep.cpu.max_basic: 13
machdep.cpu.max_ext: 2147483678
machdep.cpu.vendor: AuthenticAMD
machdep.cpu.brand_string: AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core Processor              
machdep.cpu.family: 21
machdep.cpu.model: 2
machdep.cpu.extmodel: 0
machdep.cpu.extfamily: 6
machdep.cpu.stepping: 0
machdep.cpu.feature_bits: 4510410050032630783
machdep.cpu.extfeature_bits: 138415316303870975
machdep.cpu.signature: 6295328
machdep.cpu.brand: 0
machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3 PCLMULQDQ MON SSSE3 FMA CX16 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 POPCNT AES XSAVE OSXSAVE AVX1.0 F16C
machdep.cpu.extfeatures: SYSCALL 1GBPAGE EM64T LAHF LZCNT PREFETCHW RDTSCP TSCI
machdep.cpu.logical_per_package: 8
machdep.cpu.cores_per_package: 8
machdep.cpu.microcode_version: 21
machdep.cpu.processor_flag: 1
machdep.cpu.mwait.linesize_min: 64
machdep.cpu.mwait.linesize_max: 64
machdep.cpu.mwait.extensions: 3
machdep.cpu.mwait.sub_Cstates: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.sensor: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.dynamic_acceleration: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.invariant_APIC_timer: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.thresholds: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.ACNT_MCNT: 1
machdep.cpu.thermal.core_power_limits: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.fine_grain_clock_mod: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.package_thermal_intr: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.hardware_feedback: 0
machdep.cpu.thermal.energy_policy: 0
machdep.cpu.xsave.extended_state: 7 832 960 1073741824
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.version: 0
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.number: 0
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.width: 0
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.events_number: 0
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.events: 0
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.fixed_number: 0
machdep.cpu.arch_perf.fixed_width: 0
machdep.cpu.cache.linesize: 64
machdep.cpu.cache.L2_associativity: 16
machdep.cpu.cache.size: 2097152
machdep.cpu.tlb.inst.small: 48
machdep.cpu.tlb.inst.large: 24
machdep.cpu.tlb.data.small: 64
machdep.cpu.tlb.data.small_level1: 1024
machdep.cpu.tlb.data.large: 64
machdep.cpu.tlb.data.large_level1: 1024
machdep.cpu.address_bits.physical: 48
machdep.cpu.address_bits.virtual: 48
machdep.cpu.core_count: 8
machdep.cpu.thread_count: 8
machdep.vectors.timer: 221
machdep.vectors.IPI: 222
machdep.pmap.hashwalks: 567864
machdep.pmap.hashcnts: 673020
machdep.pmap.hashmax: 14
machdep.pmap.kernel_text_ps: 2097152
machdep.pmap.kern_pv_reserve: 8000
machdep.memmap.Conventional: 8542494720
machdep.memmap.RuntimeServices: 0
machdep.memmap.ACPIReclaim: 0
machdep.memmap.ACPINVS: 6238208
machdep.memmap.PalCode: 0
machdep.memmap.Reserved: 33738752
machdep.memmap.Unusable: 0
machdep.memmap.Other: 0
machdep.tsc.frequency: 4291186854
machdep.tsc.deep_idle_rebase: 1
machdep.tsc.nanotime.tsc_base: 136523271714
machdep.tsc.nanotime.ns_base: 0
machdep.tsc.nanotime.scale: 1000880978
machdep.tsc.nanotime.shift: 0
machdep.tsc.nanotime.generation: 2
machdep.misc.panic_restart_timeout: 1266874889
machdep.misc.interrupt_latency_max: 0x0 0xde 0x142fea
machdep.misc.machine_check_panic: 
machdep.misc.timer_queue_trace: 
machdep.misc.nmis: 0
machdep.eager_timer_evaluations: 416
machdep.eager_timer_evaluation_max: 1153784
iMac-de-gils:~ gils$ 

If Apple will make some changes, please go to AMD CPUs   :P

Yes !! 

AMD  FX  , good job for 140 $  :thumbsup_anim:

Xeon 1245v2 good job for 300 $  :wink_anim:

AMD "Zen" ?   :P

post-1093405-0-38674200-1436120732_thumb.png

• Like 4

8 Core AMD vs 4 Core Intel.. and the speed is Equal... so the Intel is core for core more powerfull

The amd guys will never hear your point. (over the noise of all the cooling fans :lol: )

• Like 2

I'm 100 percent sure that together we will always find a way to resolve nearly all the problems that Apple will put us on the road. We have Excelente programmers from around the world, here on insaneleymac. They have so far mastered every problem Excelent, Patience ... everything will find its way. I am sure that together we will master the appropriate and necessary steps to be successful.  ^_^

• Like 2

The fact that NVIDIA supports Hackintosh is funny but from a business perspective its important. I'm assuming that NVIDIA has a monopoly on the Hackintosh scene and  they clearly like that. Sure there's AMD cards that will work but mostly everyone else buys NVIDIA cards because of the support. 

Not only that but there's many people out there that use NVIDIA cards and Hackintoshes for professional work so that's why NVIDIA is the preferred brand here. 

Does Apple know that NVIDIA helps the Hackintosh community? Yes they do, but I guess Apple is fine with it. I honestly believe that Apple doesn't really care. The benefit they get is obviously marketshare and developers that don't have Macs. Apple is protecting their OS from hackers, not Hackintoshes, which they are allowed to do.

1. So the KextExcludeList is to prevent hackers from installing malicious kexts without your knowledge. So every Hackintosh kext known to Apple is listed there but does it block out those kexts? No, you'll get a warning if you install these kexts on a real Mac. Apple did leave a workaround for Hackintoshes on purpose.

2. Rootless is to prevent malicious programs from exploiting root level access and files. Will this block out Hackintoshes? It seems like it won't either and again Apple will most likely leave a workaround. 

In short, Apple just wants you to see that a Hackintosh is sometimes a pain in the butt to get it working. But that doesn't mean that they want to kill it either. If they wanted to do that, they could have done it a long time ago. 

• Like 5

The fact that NVIDIA supports Hackintosh is funny but from a business perspective its important. I'm assuming that NVIDIA has a monopoly on the Hackintosh scene and  they clearly like that. Sure there's AMD cards that will work but mostly everyone else buys NVIDIA cards because of the support. 

Not only that but there's many people out there that use NVIDIA cards and Hackintoshes for professional work so that's why NVIDIA is the preferred brand here. 

Does Apple know that NVIDIA helps the Hackintosh community? Yes they do, but I guess Apple is fine with it. I honestly believe that Apple doesn't really care. The benefit they get is obviously marketshare and developers that don't have Macs. Apple is protecting their OS from hackers, not Hackintoshes, which they are allowed to do.

1. So the KextExcludeList is to prevent hackers from installing malicious kexts without your knowledge. So every Hackintosh kext known to Apple is listed there but does it block out those kexts? No, you'll get a warning if you install these kexts on a real Mac. Apple did leave a workaround for Hackintoshes on purpose.

2. Rootless is to prevent malicious programs from exploiting root level access and files. Will this block out Hackintoshes? It seems like it won't either and again Apple will most likely leave a workaround. 

In short, Apple just wants you to see that a Hackintosh is sometimes a pain in the butt to get it working. But that doesn't mean that they want to kill it either. If they wanted to do that, they could have done it a long time ago. 

true that. very true.

• Like 2

:frantics:

nV team that Macs low end (you know why), with Apple, nV can not cheat as they do with Microsoft, with AMD / ATI, we find the true performance returning to AMD / ATI and hopefully it and continue.

the results of the only GPU nV I used OS X seems not very good, AMD has a far smoother image and qu'nV.
I hope to see the GPU FuryX on new MacPro much maligned and ridiculed on this Windows {censored}.  :thumbsdown_anim: