Strange GM965 X3100 issue on Lion 10.7.2

Sergio1253

26 posts in this topic

Hello, 
So I've successfully achieved installing Lion 10.7.2 on a AOpen MiniPC with GMA695 and X3100 GPU. However, I can't boot with the kexts. Every time I try to boot, it just shows a black screen and the cursor appears but disappears briefly. This happens for hours and hours; like the WindowServer crashes and keeps trying. I've been with this for weeks and can't figure a solution out.

If you need more info, don't hesitate to ask  ;)

VENDEV: 0x2a028086 = 965GM

Pictures:

Picture 1: Loaded on verbose mode, suddenly screen goes like this when loading Kexts. Has happened on every kext I have tried; means kext loaded.

Picture 2: After a few seconds, mouse shows. Then disappears randomly. This keeps going on for hours.

rnNAtPv.jpg

PxQfFF0.jpg
-
Sergio

Does it boot in safe mode?

What do you mean "I can't boot with the kexts", are you using older drivers?

What's your boot loader? Apparently Chameleon injects wrong data for the X3100 since forever, GraphicsEnabler must be =n.

Is it distro or retail?

Try all available display outputs.

If you post some more information, maybe I can help.

1. Boots correctly in safe mode, other than that in any other mode fails. Kext loads.
2. Right now I'm using a DVI to VGA converter as its all I have, does that affect it?
3. Clover or chameleon CD, chameleon on hard disk.
4. Retail, as not much hacking required on my board
5. Verbose description of the problem:
It starts booting correctly. Everything seems fine until the GPU loads (DSMOS has arrived) then the screen goes dark with a cursor in the screen and the mouse flashes in random intervals. Login page does not load. I've seen the console errors, it says a few errors about display then starts looping a chain of errors over and over again. Should I post them? I will post them tomorrow as right now I have no access to the device. I'll notify you when I have them.
Oh yes, I've been injecting GraphicsEnabler=n, to no avail. I do see that in my dsdt there is no device (VID) section, so I'm starting to think this needs a bit of patching. I'm also going to update the bios, since they fixed a few issues.
And yes, I've tried the default drivers, SL drivers, etc none work.
EDIT: after reading a bit more on the VGA converter I think this might cause problems. I'm gonna try removing it and using the plain DVI. I'll report back if any change happens.

carlo: It's not necessary to use special kexts or a special version of Chameleon.

Sergio: I did a lot of reading and tried a lot of things while I was installing Lion on my Santa Rosa Thinkpad T61. It seems the main issue for most people is OS X failing to correctly identify the main display connected to the X3100.

Don't use modified drivers, use the ones that came with the version of OS X you're running. I believe the modded drivers are intended for use with laptops (an internal display).

What I did was extract the EDID from the T61 display on Windows using "Extron Electronics EDID Manager" (it's free). You can then use Andy Vandijk's "FixEDID" with the extracted EDID data to make your own display override. Try this first and let me know if anything changes for the better.

My T61 has the Windows HDD installed at the moment, once I swap it with the 10.7.5 drive I'll post my DSDT VID device for you and see what else I have. I can't remember everything, it's been a while.

Another thing I did was hex edit some 10.7.5 x3100 driver file that makes brightness controls work. This is the only modification to the driver itself. But since you aren't using a laptop I guess it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm here, I tried booting without the VGA and it did not change the situation.

I reinstalled again just for a clean base to test on. I'll try injecting my EDID and apply the BIOS patches. I'll report back soon :D

Thanks so much for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Dell Inspiron 1525 with Intel X3100 video. It works fine even with 4x4Evolution game. FPS is more or less playable.

But I still uses 10.6.8. As far as I know there is a brightness problem in 10.7 can be resolved by AppleIntelFramebuffer from 10.6.

The most significant steps to make this notebook working:

1. I am using Clover and I tune it namely for this notebook. Namely for this videocard.

2. DSDT edit strongly required. Inside GFX device there are subdevices CRT and DVI that must be erased out. This is a known trick from the begining of Hackintosh era. This is also performed by Clover DSDT fixes.

3. X3100 drivers required correct MacBook identification and set of SMC keys RPlt and EPIC. They are provided by my version of HWSensors (in signature) but I can't garanty about kozlek's version. Because I adopt FakeSMC, HWInfo and X3100 plugins for my notebook.

4. There are also DSDT corrections for reliability and stability.

5. There are also other kexts that differ my OSX from so called "retail": VoodooHDA, VoodooPS2.

6. There are also my kernel with less mistakes and vanilla. Doesn't matter for the topic.

DarwinDumper_2.8.3_Clover_X64_1994_SL_slice.tar.lzma.zip

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have Dell Inspiron 1525 with Intel X3100 video. It works fine even with 4x4Evolution game. FPS is more or less playable.

But I still uses 10.6.8. As far as I know there is a brightness problem in 10.7 can be resolved by AppleIntelFramebuffer from 10.6.

1. I am using Clover and I tune it namely for this notebook. Namely for this videocard.

2. DSDT edit strongly required. Inside GFX device there are subdevices CRT and DVI that must be erased out. This is a known trick from the begining of Hackintosh era. This is also performed by Clover DSDT fixes.

3. X3100 drivers required correct MacBook identification and set of SMC keys RPlt and EPIC. They are provided by my version of HWSensors (in signature) but I can't garanty about kozlek's version. Because I adopt FakeSMC, HWInfo and X3100 plugins for my notebook.

5. There are also other kexts that differ my OSX from so called "retail": VoodooHDA, VoodooPS2.

6. There are also my kernel with less mistakes and vanilla. Doesn't matter for the topic.

attachicon.gifDarwinDumper_2.8.3_Clover_X64_1994_SL_slice.tar.lzma.zip

Sorry for being so late. I ended up not doing much, however I will pick the project back up, as I have a second machine of the same model. I will inform :)

attachicon.gifDarwinDumper_2.8.3_Clover_X64_1994_SL_slice.tar.lzma.zip

No luck.

All the fixes for the X3100 are for an internal display, ie not connected to the VGA port like yours. I'm guessing it's possible that the X3100 drivers are freaking out because there is no internal display.

Apple only used the X3100 in laptops, like the MacBook3,1 and 4,1. It's a long shot but maybe it'll help if you have OS X think that it is running on one of those?

If you're using Chameleon set the SystemType=2 flag in org.chameleon.Boot.plist and you'll need an smbios.plist with DMI data from a MacBook3,1 or 4,1. You can probably get the DMI data from Slice's archive.

Look here for more information about smbios.plist, Chameleon syntax is different from Clover.

As far as I know there is a brightness problem in 10.7 can be resolved by AppleIntelFramebuffer from 10.6.

If you're interested in upgrading, there's a version of the same patch that was applied in 10.6.8 that can be used on 10.7.5. I don't have the link but it's here somewhere.

I don't think this applies in this situation because there is no "internal display" and therefore no brightness control.

All the fixes for the X3100 are for an internal display, ie not connected to the VGA port like yours. I'm guessing it's possible that the X3100 drivers are freaking out because there is no internal display.

Apple only used the X3100 in laptops, like the MacBook3,1 and 4,1. It's a long shot but maybe it'll help if you have OS X think that it is running on one of those?

If you're using Chameleon set the SystemType=2 flag in org.chameleon.Boot.plist and you'll need an smbios.plist with DMI data from a MacBook3,1 or 4,1. You can probably get the DMI data from Slice's archive.

Look here for more information about smbios.plist, Chameleon syntax is different from Clover.

If you're interested in upgrading, there's a version of the same patch that was applied in 10.6.8 that can be used on 10.7.5. I don't have the link but it's here somewhere.

I don't think this applies in this situation because there is no "internal display" and therefore no brightness control.

Alright, I'll try that and report back :)

]

No success.I've tried a plethora of methods today to no avail.

I believe the issue causing this is exactly what you say, because im the console logs there are many instances of "display: not usable".

Is there any way to emulate an internal display or make OSX believe the display current is internal not external? I've been looking for clues on how to do this but haven't found much.

SMC.

I proposed much more settings. All of then are necessary.

I believe that the issue is it doesn't detect an internal display so it dies. Any way to emulate internql display or trick osx into using external as internal?

No way.

I am also not sure if applegma driver can use vga output.

• Like 1

I am also not sure if applegma driver can use vga output.

It can, my T61 works fine with an external monitor via VGA whether cloned, independant or rotated.

But the coolest thing is, if I close the lid with the external display connected, instead of putting the laptop to sleep, the external display automatically becomes the primary display.

I put it to good use while I was getting the X3100 in the T61 to behave, the internal display gave me a lot of grief but I never had any trouble with VGA.

I can't test DVI because it is only available on the docking system for the T61.

It can, my T61 works fine with an external monitor via VGA whether cloned, independant or rotated.

But the coolest thing is, if I close the lid with the external display connected, instead of putting the laptop to sleep, the external display automatically becomes the primary display.

I put it to good use while I was getting the X3100 in the T61 to behave, the internal display gave me a lot of grief but I never had any trouble with VGA.

I can't test DVI because it is only available on the docking system for the T61.

I tried using FixEDID to inject the EDID with a displayoverride and a macbook air display (3,1) but that did not work either, however it is detected as apple color LCD, not internal. Still can't boot without -x

Alright, new twist on the situation!

I took the DSDT and manually patched it using some documentation I found online. (I'm a hobbyist coder, just don't know much about hardware, more of the software side.)

I have QE/CI now, after patching the DSDT and adding a custom GFX device. I tested through VNC.

However, no DVI output, which is my challenge because somehow the with DSDT there is absolutely no signal sent to the monitor and it is always standby.

Any clues on how to fix this?

I will post the dsdt and patches once I actually get to fix DVI. I'll make a tutorial. When I get DVI I'll reinstall fresh to test things out.

LreLYhz.png

• Like 1