Nvidia Web Driver updates for El Capitan (UPDATE 07/11/2018)

716 posts in this topic

So. I just did the public update and my Nvidia drivers say they are unsupported. Is there some other version or do I need to hack the kext?

Thanks

10.11.2 is out ..just wait NVDIA for the final release...

Well, I need my displays to work :)

Do the beta drivers on page 1 work? I can always update to official later on

The advice from my FAQ thread still applies:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/frequently-asked-questions-about-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

NVIDIA has had a good track record of releasing new web drivers for each version of OS as it comes out. Sometimes there is a delay of a few days, but in general a new driver is available quickly. Given that, it is advised you do one of the following:

• Update to the new OS, live with the stock drivers for a few days.
  • Wait until the new driver is released by NVIDIA, then update to the new OS.

I usually do the latter, since that allows me to get all the benefits of the web driver in the mean time.

Well, I need my displays to work :)

Do the beta drivers on page 1 work? I can always update to official later on

Yes you can. They work fine with final release of 10.11.2.

2FuroN6.jpg

Irrelevant in that case. The FAQ talks about forcing the use of webdrivers from a previous minor update over the ones of a new release.

Trying to force the 10.8.1 web driver to work with 10.8.2, for example, is just asking for trouble and will probably make your machine no longer boot to the desktop.

Latest beta drivers from #1 are meant to run on 10.11.2, not 10.11.1 ;).

• Like 1

Yes you can. They work fine with final release of 10.11.2.

2FuroN6.jpg

Irrelevant in that case. The FAQ talks about forcing the use of webdrivers from a previous minor update over the ones of a new release.

Latest beta drivers from #1 are meant to run on 10.11.2, not 10.11.1 ;).

They do "work" but I am noticing a lot of flicking in my current setup. I guess its better than having ONE display out of 3 working :)

Thanks! I shall wait for a final release.

Not irrelevant, my point is that if you use (and particularly if you depend on) the web driver, just wait less than 24 hours for NVIDIA to release the web driver for the new OS version before you update.  NVIDIA has been really good about getting a new driver out, so there's rarely been a problem with just waiting until the next day before you do the Software Update.

Yet, the FAQ you pointed out is still irrelevant in that case.

Your point is not. :)

Did you actually read FAQ #2 in my post?  In any case, the advice stands: if you rely on the web driver, wait until NVIDIA releases one before you do the Software Update.  For the latest OS, this normally takes less than 24 hours.

Is this a place where i can ask a question?  i have a Z170xUD5 motherboard and a I7 skyline processor.   My graphics card is 970GTX 4GB.  I have been using SMBIOS code for iMac17,1 but when I boot with the web drivers installed and nvda_driver=1 I only get a black screen when the logon screen should appear.  I have team viewer installed so I can remote to the computer.  What I notice is that it cannot see an external display attached.  It is only driving the (nonexistent) internal monitor.

If I switch the SMBIOS to MacPro3,1 -- that seems to resolve the graphics problem, but that has a whole set of other problems with USB ports etc.

Is there anything I can do to get the 970 to work correctly while the SMBIOS is set to iMac17,1?

--I found the answer to this on a different forum.  The answer is to edit the AppleGraphicsControl.kext.

I found instructions on how to do this by google searching for Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Edited by fantomas1
no direct link to tonymacx86! thanks

I figured out a way to have Clover patch NVDAStartup.kext to avoid the panic on boot when the stock drivers are enabled.  This will come in handy when you're updating to a new OS from Apple, as it allows your Hackintosh to just boot up with no acceleration until you can install the new web drivers from NVIDIA.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/?p=2197672

• Like 3

F02 patched (15D) works fine with 10.11.3 build 15D9c

don't know if it's right to tell that it's working fine because this patched driver allows me to boot only with vanilla drivers but I have QE_CI enabled with my GTX570 (10DE_1086)... something that I'm not able to have (black screen) without Clover FakeID (0x108110DE) or with the right web driver version.

can you guys confirm it's also working for you?

thank you   ^_^

@izo1

Try to boot with nv_disable=1 then uninstall webdrivers using NVIDIA Driver Manager prefpane (click "Open Uninstaller…"in Graphics Drivers). Reboot then re-install the latest ones for 10.11.2 (see #1).

The driver is already uninstalled, tried everything. The pref pane i removed manually by right clicking a while ago.

Also this is an rMBP how do i enable boot flags?